16 Things I Learned In 2016

16 Things I Learned In 2016

Its been such a crazy year, but I've learned a lot. Thank you, 2016.

6
16 Things I Learned In 2016
Alexandra Dorman

1.Leaving is a good thing.

Change consists almost entirely of decay, and one day you will not recognize yourself from any other you’s that have come before. You will love the changes more than the comfort of familiarity.

2. Everything happens for a reason.

3. Friends are going to leave but they’ll always be replaced.

The most unexpected people will teach you a lot about yourself, even if it is not welcomed. Friendships can go quiet for a while but still burn on. You will know the difference between this and a flaky relationship.

4. Delete his number.

There is no reason you should continue drunk texting him just to hear him tell you it’s time to move on, it’s pathetic and you are better than that.

5. Trust your gut.

6. Don't let yourself be silenced, ever.

Everything you say is important. Always.

7. You don't need a guy or even people to be beautiful, you do it all on your own!

You are worthy of love, strong enough, and so beautiful.

8. Take pictures often, you only regret the ones you don't take.

9. Never be afraid to say or speak about how you feel.

When I started writing for Odyssey, I was very nervous that I wouldn't be any good, people would hate what I would have to say, and that I’d lose many for finally speaking out. Little did I know, this would be one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. Thank you!

10. Forgiveness isn’t forgetting everything that happened to you.

Forgiveness is not letting the hurt keep you awake at night. When you can think of them and sleep easy, then you have forgiven. It is not measured in the relationships you have now.

11. Trying is half the battle.

12. Your mental health is so important, never forget that.

13. It’s completely okay to take a year off of school after you graduate.

Sometimes you just need that break and that's okay. Take care of yourself.

14. There's more out there than just High School and its problems.

The people you see and talk to every day, the bullies, the drama; it won't always be there.

15. Say “I love you” often.

16. Never act on a broken heart or anger.

These two emotions tend to sway you into doing things you would never normally even consider. Think about what you’re doing, think about the consequences. I don’t care how angry or hurt you are in that moment, it is imperative that you take a second to breathe and really think about your next actions, it is better to live a few days or weeks upset than live a life of regret. When your chest is aching or your hands are shaking do not go by impulse, use your head and think things through first.