17 Social Science Major Problems That are All Too Real

Keep talking... I'm diagnosing you.

60
pixabay

Finding a college major isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world, but when you do find what you want to study it can be one of the best feelings in the world. In this case, we're gonna look at social science majors. The fields of social science affect everyone's daily life but we often get thrown to the back burner for admitting we love studying this information. Here are a few struggles us social science majors deal with that are far too real

1. Everyone assumes it’s easy.

Especially bio majors that call you major a "soft science"

2. People are alarmed by your extensive knowledge of drugs.

*Lists tons of hallucinogenics along with various antidepressants and their side effects*

3. Your friends think you’re psychoanalyzing them all the time.

It all goes in one ear and out the other.

4. When you're really analyzing yourself.

I can't do anything normal anymore.

5. You’re extremely comfortable talking about sex

Let me list the various STI's you can get and multiple ways to prevent them depending on your preference of things.

6. Your recent google searches raise a few eyebrows.

Sometimes you just need to know how someone managed to kill their own children and not feel any remorse.

7. Grad school is a minimal requirement if you want to even consider a job in your field.

Please continue to remind me that I am putting myself into further debt without the guarantee of a career.

8. People love to pick arguments with you.

Not gonna lie, I always win.

9. Everyone questions your ability to find a job after school.

I'm aware of the difficulty but I love this major so please leave, thanks.

10. You often have to search elsewhere for textbooks because your professor probably wrote it.

Of course, this is all for the sake of learning and not publicity AT ALL.

11. Which means every little detail is important.

Must absorb every word of every page.

12. Sometimes you have so much overlap you want to scream.

If I have to go over Freud's stages of development or the Stanford Prison study one more time...

13. You have strong opinions on identity politics.

Let's not even get started on there being 97 genders.

14. DSM-IV v. DSM-V.

I've spent more time analyzing the validity of these things than learning what's actually in them.

15. You hate when people use the psychological term for a disorder for something more benign.

Organization and OCD are VERY different things.

16. You probably think you're funnier than you actually are.

Pickup lines are more guaranteed than Pavlov's dog salivating after a bell.

17. Social constructs.

Everything. Race, gender, you name it. Just about everything is a social construct.

So next time you come across a social science major, give them a break. Chances are the work they do has a huge influence of what you're trying to accomplish too.