16 Lessons I Learned in 2016

16 Lessons I Learned in 2016

Through highs and lows, laughter and tears, friendships and heartbreak-- 2016 we thank you.

9
16 Lessons I Learned in 2016

With 2016 coming to a close, I think it's safe to say it's been a year of changes, challenges, adventures, new experiences, and laughter. The past 365 days have been a time of highs and lows, laughter and tears, friendships and heartbreak. Whether this year was a personally a good one or a bad one, we can all agree that we have learned a lot and grew a lot throughout it all. Here are 16 lessons 2016 taught us!

1. Letting go of something that was once important to you, is the only way you can move forwards.

We all know change can be scary and difficult, but some of the best things that can happen to us occur when we have the courage to close one chapter and begin writing the next.

2. People will hurt you for no reason with no explanation.

Not everyone has the same heart as you do and while it may hurt so bad to find this out, it is a part of life. Have the strength to accept this and allow these people to exit your life as they were never meant to be in it from the beginning.

3. Friendship is about who's always there not who's been there the longest.

You'll be surprised to find out who is really there for you when you need it. Keep these people close for they are the ones that matter.

4. Hard work pays off always.

No matter what you do in life put forth all you can. The universe will reward you for it in the end, and it will be the most rewarding feeling when it does. Keep working hard, even if your the only one who notices.

5. Karma is a thing, both good and bad.

Those who have wronged you will get their day, trust me. But remember, those that you have wronged will get their day to watch you fall as well, so be kind always. The universe will repay you for it.

6. Never say no to adventure.

Some of the best memories you will ever make will be from spontaneous, random adventures with your friends. You're young, allow yourself to be young.

7. Your first judgments of people are usually wrong.

"Never judge a book by its cover" may be one of the most cliché, yet accurate statements. Some of the best people you will ever meet are those that you had previously written off and out of your life. Give everyone a chance until they give you a reason not to.

8. Your health, both mental and physical, is the single most important thing.

There is only one you so take care of yourself. You are only the best version of yourself when you give yourself the love and care you deserve. Put your needs first, you're worth it.

9. You can't expect someone to change after they have already shown you who they truly are.

"You can't teach an old dog new tricks" and "there's no sense in beating a dead horse" are very harsh, yet truthful quotes. When a person repeatedly proves to you who they truly are it is foolish to believe that they will ever be anyone other than that person. Learn to accept this and move on from the people who continuously disappoint you.

10. Don't be anyone else's definition of you.

We were all crafted into unique, individualistic people with our own hearts, our own thoughts, and our own passions. Stay true to this person and don't ever confine yourself to fit into someone else's box. You were created to shine, let yourself.

11. Its okay to not be okay.

You're entitled to feel broken and devastated and damaged and you're entitled to stay there for some time. You're entitled to be overcome with sadness and cry the hurt out. But you are not allowed to let it consume you and stay there forever. Know when the time is right to pick yourself up, put the pieces back together, and move forward. You're stronger than you believe.

12. Don't let hate consume you.

It's okay to feel taken advantage of and angry and revenge seeking. However, realize that this does you no good. Do not allow hate to weight in your heart and consume it. Release this hate and allow love to take over. Focus less on those you have wronged you and more on those who love you. Hate is a lot heavier to carry around than love is.

13. You can't always control what happens, but you can control your reaction to it.

Life is unpredictable and the bumps and curves it throws in your path are never to your control. Accept the fact that your cant control the hand you are given but you can control the attitude you have towards it and what you do with it. Have a positive outlook on everything no matter what. You'll be surprised at what a little optimism can do.

14. Do more of what makes you happy.

It is important that we fill our lives with love, laughter, and memories. Find the things that make your heart full and makes your spirit joyous and partake in those every chance you get. It is once you find the things that you love that you will find true happiness.

15. See everyday as a new opportunity.

The sun rises every morning and sets every night and the time in between the two is free for us to do with whatever we choose. See every morning as a new beginning and a fresh start. Take each day as an opportunity to do better and be better than you were the day before.

16. Keep smiling, life is a beautiful thing.

No matter what, smile. Life is such an amazing thing and we are so blessed to be given the chance to do with it whatever we choose. Make a difference, leave your mark. We were all placed on this Earth for a reason and we must find that reason and live for it. There is nothing more beautiful and magical than the opportunities life presents.