16 Of Gibbs' Rules That Apply To Real Life

"Everyone needs a code they can live by."

306
Deviant Art

NCIS is such a popular show, you rarely meet anyone who hasn't heard of it. Gibbs, the lead character, has a list of rules that him and his team follow that have been revealed over the seasons. Big fans of the show know most, if not all, of these rules by heart and probably even follow some of them themselves. While not all of Gibbs' rules can be used out of the investigative environment, there are still many that would be beneficial to follow in life. Here are some of those...

Rule #1

Never screw over your partner.

If you have a connection to someone, don't break that.

Rule #3

Don't believe what you're told. Double check.

It's easy for someone to tell you a lie. Never rely on the words of another person, always ensure what you're believing is true.

Rule #4

If you have a secret, the best thing is to keep it to yourself. The second best is to tell one other person if you must. There is no third best.

It's called a secret for a reason. If you don't want anyone to know, keep the talking to a minimum.

Rule #5

You don't waste good.

If you're good at it, do it. You have a talent for a reason.

Rule #8

Never take anything for granted.

Things can change in the blink of an eye. Always count your blessings.

Rule #14

Bend the line, don't break it.

Know just how far "too far" is.

Rule #15

Always work as a team.

Multiple people working towards the same goal is better than one.

Rule #16

If someone thinks they have the upper hand, break it.

Don't let anyone hold something over you. Show them that they can't manipulate you.

Rule #28

If you need help, ask.

Don't be afraid to let others in. It's ok to ask for help.

Rule #36

If it feels like you're being played, you probably are.

Your gut is usually right. You're getting your reasons from somewhere, and that somewhere is likely to be correct.

Rule #39

There is no such thing as coincidence.

There is a cause and effect for everything.

Rule #40

If it seems like someone's out to get you, they are.

Once again, your gut is usually right. Trust it.

Rule #42

Don't ever accept an apology from someone that just sucker-punched you.

If they screwed you, they don't mean the apology.

Rule #45

Clean up your messes.

Whether you made a mess literally or figuratively, you have to fix it.

Rule #51

Sometimes - you're wrong.

You can't win them all.

Rule #62

Leave room for someone exiting the elevator.

Just try not to knock anyone down, ok?