15 Young Adult Series To Read That Aren't Harry Potter

Confession: I love young adult books.

3877

Confession: I love young adult books.

Not "Twilight," werewolf-romance, teens-in-love young adult books, but the kind of young adult books that make middle schoolers excited to turn a page instead of flip a channel. I love the stories that make all the noise at your little brother's soccer game fade away, the characters that you want to be like when you grow up, the worlds where anyone can be a hero—even you.

In a completely predictable turn of events, I fell in love with "Harry Potter" as a budding literature nerd. I even combed the dreaded fan fiction websites to find a suitably cathartic substitute for the untold love story of James and Lily Potter (this is it, in case you're wondering). Every single one of Rowling's over 300 tomes have been dog-eared and smudged on my bookshelf since 2005 and they're likely to remain that way.

However, after my third or fourth time through, my parents started to get concerned. My "Harry Potter" collection "disappeared" to the top of Mom and Dad's closet and I was left with dust, tears and "Find something else to read." So I did. Though I read hundreds of books throughout my post-Harry Potter career, here are 15 book series I picked up in middle and high school that now sit next to "Harry Potter" on my grown-up bookshelves.

1. "Fullmetal Alchemist"

Rest assured, book purists, I don't put manga in here lightly. I generally dislike manga and anime, but Hiromu Arakawa's storytelling is so compelling that even this English major can put aside prejudices and flip right-to-left through this incredible series. The story follows Edward and Alphonse Elric, two brothers who lose key parts of their physical bodies in an alchemical experiment (think science and magic) gone wrong, while they search for the philosopher's stone. Recommendation: kids (or adults) who don't like reading but might pick up the occasional comic book.

2. "Peter and the Starcatchers"

Have you ever wondered how Peter Pan became Peter Pan? We got the part where he grew up to be Robin Williams in the cult classic "Hook," but how did he get to Neverland? You get all that and more from Barry and Pearson's "Peter and the Starcatchers." All of your unasked Neverland questions are answered. From Peter and the Lost Boys to James Hook himself, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better Peter Pan prequel. Magical and exciting, the series stays true to James Barrie's original story and vision. Recommendation: the ambitious fifth grader or the sophomore who needs a sprinkle of faith, trust and pixie dust.

3. "The Penderwicks"

Jeanne Birdsall revisits the beauty of family, friendship and summertime in this charming series about four sisters growing up and learning what it means to be alive. These quaintly nostalgic books are reminiscent of Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women" and L. M. Montgomery's "Anne of Green Gables." Unlike fantasy book series that take you away from reality, "The Penderwicks" shows you how to find the magic and adventure in your everyday life. Recommendation: fans of the classic summer tale and young, independent girls (me included) who need to be reminded of the importance of family.

4. "Molly Moon"

Knobby-kneed, potato-faced orphan Molly Moon is a nobody until she finds a book on hypnotism in her local library and discovers she has a knack for it. As a third grader, my favorite part of Georgia Byng's books were the perks of hypnotizing people into doing what you want: a month at the nicest hotel in NYC, a lead in the new Broadway musical, bowls and bowls of candy for dinner. But Molly has to navigate the ethics of hypnotism. Readers learn with her that power should never be used to take advantage of others. Recommendation: anyone who's ever felt that they or their talents go unnoticed.

5. "The Hunger Games" trilogy

Dystopian fiction is all the rage these days, but before you wave pitchforks and accuse me of mindlessly following the crowd, let's put the record straight: I first read "The Hunger Games" just two months after its original release and went through my dystopian phase while the rest of the world was baby-stepping through "Twilight." The difference in fads? "The Hunger Games"deserves the hype. In what's left of North America, 12 districts slave under the dictatorship of President Snow and the Capitol. After a defeated civil uprising, the districts are required to send two children to fight to the death in the annual Hunger Games as penance. Recommendation: protective older sisters and people with a healthy (or unhealthy) fear of big governments.

6. "The Circle" series

I can hear what you're saying: "Doesn't Ted Dekker write scary Christian fiction?" Yes. And believe me when I say that even as a Christian, I have very little respect for the sugar-coated Christian literature of today. But Ted Dekker's "The Circle" series, along with the Lost Books (which feature different characters and a different plot line but occur simultaneously) are the sneakiest and most riveting Christian fiction I've ever read. This intense story of reality versus dream and biological warfare is worth the read even if you don't love Jesus. Recommendation: Christians who love a good suspense story and non-Christians who love a good suspense story.

7. "Michael Vey"

From the covers, the "Michael Vey" books seem like just another big-shot bestseller trying his hand at young adult fiction, but looks can be deceiving. I grudgingly read "The Prisoner of Cell 25" at the insistence of my little brother and finished the entire book in one night. The series follows teenager Michael Vey who, due to unknown experimentation at the hospital of his birth, has electrical powers. Michael keeps his abilities to himself until his mother is kidnapped, and he and his friends, some electric and some not, hunt down both his mother and the secret behind their mysterious electricity. Recommendation: middle school students who usually don't like reading and people who always wanted to have superpowers.

8. "Redwall"

The PBS Kids show "Redwall" aired on channel 8 at 4:30 p.m. when I was in the second grade and I watched it religiously. Tears were shed the day "Sagwa: The Chinese Siamese Cat" took "Redwall"'s slot, and after a trip to the library, I was reading "Redwall," "Mossflower," and "Mattimeo" instead of watching TV in the afternoons. These books follow the creatures of Mossflower wood, from the peaceful mice of Redwall Abbey to the fearsome pirate rats to the warlike badgers of Salamandastron. It's knights and chivalry and true love in classic adventures suited to the younger palette. Recommendation: elementary kids with high reading levels and fans of a good old-fashioned knight's tale.

9. "Diary of a Wimpy Kid"

The "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series is no Shakespeare, but it is a great series to get young and hesitant readers interested in books. Fast and funny, these books are told in blips and doodles from the perspective of middle schooler Greg Heffley as he navigates friendship, family and survival in this hilarious junior high saga. Before you dismiss Jeff Kinney on literary grounds, I'll attest that I first read these in high school and enjoyed them greatly. The lessons Greg learns in the halls of his middle school ring true for seasoned grown-ups as well. Recommendation: kids who hate reading and all those who hated middle school (i.e. everyone).

10. "The Chronicles of Narnia"

C. S. Lewis's world-famous fantasy series is a classic for a reason: enduring characters, sweeping landscapes, and a story that stands the test of time. Narnia has been a favorite of both young and old readers for over half a century. Personal favorites of the series include "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe," "The Horse and His Boy," and "The Silver Chair." While the content of the books can be enjoyed by even a small child, Lewis's more advanced vocabulary is perfect for stretching the comprehensive skills of a young, ambitious reader. Recommendation: fantasy snobs and people who love to see a world being shaped.

11. "Percy Jackson and the Olympians"

Percy Jackson's tale is the Greek mythology portion of sixth grade history class on steroids. Middle schooler Percy has always struggled in school, even being diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia, but it's not until his mother is kidnapped and he starts to see creatures out of Greek mythology that Percy realizes that there's more to him than meets the eye. Life at Camp Half Blood is fast-paced, humorous, and even educational (I know a disproportionate amount about Greek gods). Recommendation: lovers of Greek mythology and kids (like Percy) who struggle in school.

12. "A Series of Unfortunate Events"

Lemony Snicket's slightly sarcastic, devilishly dark children's series might seem anything but appropriate for kids. However, for children (and adults) on the cynical side, "A Series of Unfortunate Events" couldn't be more perfect. Second-person interruptions from the narrator add just the right amount of humor to offset the tragic misadventures of the Baudelaire orphans. An unlucky 13 books long, this series doesn't shy away from the darkness of the world, but makes sure to highlight that the good is always worth fighting for. Recommendation: people with a sharp wit and self-made Nancy Drews who enjoy sniffing out a mystery.

13. "The Mysterious Benedict Society"

"The Mysterious Benedict Society" is every gifted child's dream. And I'm not just talking about the academically gifted, but all those kids who feel that their special talents and abilities go largely unnoticed or unappreciated by their peers. An elite team of four children created for a very specific task, the Mysterious Benedict Society helps each reader realize how important his or her individual talents and skills are. Recommendation: gifted kids (in whatever area) who feel alienated or ostracized and anyone who feels particularly lonely.

14. "The Lord of the Rings"

J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle Earth saga is arguably the most famous piece of fantasy literature ever written, and for good reason. I read "The Hobbit" in late elementary school and loved it, but was daunted by the sheer length of "The Lord of the Rings" (over 1,000 pages). But I wasn't allowed to see the movies until I read the books, so I dove right in when I'd built my reading chops a bit. Tolkien's series is perfect for kids to grow with, starting with "The Hobbit" and working through "The Lord of the Rings" (and "The Silmarillion" if they're brave). Recommendation: people who love adventures and people who'd rather sit at home by a warm fire.

15. "The Tillerman Cycle"

"The Tillerman Cycle" follows (surprise!) the Tillerman family, centering mostly on Dicey, who is 13 when the series begins. Her single mother leaves her and her three younger siblings in the car at a mall and doesn't come back, leaving Dicey to fend for her family. The rest of Voigt's series artfully weaves the family's story until Dicey is 21, switching narration from Dicey to her best friends to her brothers and even to her uncle. Real and raw and emotional, "The Tillerman Cycle" makes you remember that family is worth fighting for. Recommendation: oldest siblings and people who feel they've had too much responsibility placed on them.

Whether you're a college student looking for a break from heavy reading or a mom trying to find books for your young reader, these 15 young adult series are sure to bring out the child in everyone. Happy reading!