15 Things You Should Know Before Watching Grey's Anatomy

Why Didn't Somebody Tell Me These Things?

558
Just Wath

*Warning: Spoilers and awesome quotes ahead. Read with caution!*

January 9th was a day that changed my life. Because of simple curiosity and wonder as to why so many people were going crazy over this show, I FINALLY jumped on the Grey’s Anatomy bandwagon. Netflix has all thirteen seasons packaged and ready to go for those of you that wish to reminisce about McDreamy and McSteamy, the awesomeness that was Christina and Burke dancing in the kitchen, that ending that I am still NOT over (not even close), and feeling all the feels that come with watching Grey’s Anatomy.

This show needs to come with a disclaimer. Warning: watching this show will cause you to laugh hysterically, cry uncontrollably with almost every episode, wish you had significant others like George, Denny, Derek and Mark (once he’s through with his man whore ways of course), wish you had a boss babe like Bailey, and a warning to not get too attached to your favorite characters because some of them will die and you will not be okay. You just won’t. You’ll need to call in sick the next day because you just can’t handle it.

I just finished watching season six (that ending…WOW) and I literally cannot stop watching. When I log in to Netflix, I think “Oh, I’ll just watch this show or that movie instead,” but inevitably I come back to my Grey’s. I can’t help it. This show is that awesome. And I suffered mild withdraw symptoms when I was without Netflix for almost a week which tells me the show is either THAT awesome or I have a serious problem…maybe both?

But before you start watching, hence the spoilers ahead, there are some things you should know that I wish someone would have told me before I started watching. So grab some popcorn, prepare to dance it out, and enjoy the ride. Here are 15 things you should know before watching Grey’s Anatomy from someone who is only on season 7:

1. It. So. Damn. Emotional!

I don't think I have ever cried this much while watching a show. I may have sobbed hysterically during the series finale of The Vampire Diaries because hello, that was an EPIC ending and perfectly summed up that entire show, and I may have teared up at the end of Pretty Little Liars, but I have barely been able to get through one episode of this damn show without crying! You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll wish you were there to join in on the fun and the drama and the dancing. But mostly you'll wonder why in the hell you didn't buy a bigger box of tissues.

2. Denny dies... and then he comes back. Briefly.

Oh, Denny. Sweet, devastatingly handsome Denny. You were such a perfect match for young Izzy Stephens. So why in the hell did you let her cut the stupid wire?!?! I guess it all worked out for the best because in your own weird "Ghost" way you 'came back' to save Izzy's life and warn that she was dying... and to give her the best sex of her life, which I don't even want to know how that worked. Moving on!

3. George dies

Seriously, Shonda? Seriously! You just HAD to kill George! I'm still not okay with that ending. George was so cute and dorky and noble and sweet (expect for the whole cheating on Callie thing with Izzy) and just... George. But you couldn't just send him off to war and have him die overseas. Oh no. No, you had to send him off and then bring in a John Doe who in true George fashion threw himself in front of a bus to save someone and GASP! He writes 007 in Meredith's hand and we all instinctively know who 007 is. It's George! Cue the hysterical crying and having to miss work the next day because you are so not okay!

4. The amount of medical terminology on this show will make you sound like you went to medical school and you'll feel like you can now practice medicine without having gone to medical school. Who needs a triple bypass...something or another?

5. Did I mention it was EMOTIONAL?

Don't even start with me about the whole This Is Us and Jack and the Crock-Pot incident. It doesn't compare. Not even close. And Crock-Pots cannot kill you. I have three, and I'm still here! Plus, if it's twenty years old, you should probably just buy a new one anyway!

6. You'll wish you had someone like Dr. Bailey in your life. As a friend, and as a boss.

Her sass and attitude are RIDICULOUS. But in a good way. I was so heartbroken when she and her husband got divorced. It took such a tool on her and dimmed some of that sassiness, but I think it was good for viewers to see the more vulnerable side of "The Nazi." It was also good for viewers to see and understand that yes, juggling work/life balance is hard and sometimes there are women who will put their careers before their families but at the same time, it's a struggle. I was actually a little pissed...okay, more than a little pissed at Bailey's husband for trying to make her choose. But I'm proud that she chose her career AND her son and told her husband to take a long hike. She and little Tucker deserve so much better than that.

7. The MEN on this show...

Well hello there! McDreamy. McSteamy. George. Owen. Burke, and the many others that I have seen but have no idea who they are yet. You’re all deliciously scrumptious. Even you Chief Webber.

Side note: I had no idea Patrick Dempsey was on this show. I had heard people uttering the phrase “McDreamy” but I had no idea who or what they were talking about. And then I saw Patrick. And all I could think of was “Wow. He really grew up from that adorably awkward kid in ‘Can’t Buy Me Love.’” That afro turned into smooth, luscious locks that men and women everywhere envy. But I can’t include Alex on this list. I just can’t. He never really got my heart pumping because he was such a pompous ass. Yes, he had some good redeeming qualities but overall he was an ass. Sorry Alex.

8. EMOTIONAL. EMOTIONAL. EMOTIONAL.

I cannot stress this enough. It is ridiculous the amount of emotions I feel while watching this show. But that’s what good TV is. It makes you feel and connect. If you’re not connecting, you’re not doing it right.

9. The issues:

Alzheimer's. LGBTQ prominent characters living actual lives. Domestic violence. Assisted suicide. Finding yourself. Mass murders by grief stricken patients. Being pro-active about your own health, women especially. Death. Lots and lots of death. The list goes on and on. This show touches on so many relevant topics in today's society and years past, not to mention the medical issues. One almost begins to feel enlightened as they watch. This show also raises awareness of these issues and sheds new light while giving new perspectives. Look how pretty Arizona and Callie are in their wedding dresses!

10. The Quotes

At the beginning and end of each episode, there is a quote. And in some way or another, that quote is totally relevant to your life, even if you're not a doctor or surgeon, or a nurse, or any other kind of medical professional. And some of these quotes are exactly what you needed to hear. I'm only listing a few because there are too many awesome ones to count. You'll just have to Google or, I don't know, actually watch the show to hear the rest!

“Don’t let what he wants eclipse what you need. He’s very dreamy, but he’s not the sun. You are.” – Cristina Yang

“Oh, screw beautiful. I’m brilliant. If you want to appease me, compliment my brain.” – Cristina Yang

“Have some fire. Be unstoppable. Be a force of nature.” – Cristina Yang

“It’s a beautiful day to save some lives. Let’s have some fun.” – Derek Shepherd

“I am woman. Hear me roar.” – Miranda Bailey

“You can’t be an ass to me all day and then expect me to give you respect.” – Lexie Grey

11. You will inevitably find your new Grey's BFF, commonly referred to as "Your Person"

If you don’t discover that one or more of these characters is your spirit animal and that you could totally be BFFs in real life after watching at least two seasons, I feel sorry for you. I discovered during Season 4 that Meredith and Christina are my spirit animals, and we would totally be BFFs in real life. Dance it out party at my house ladies!

12. Fun fact: Every single episode of Grey's Anatomy is named after a song

Did you know that? I only recently discovered this and now I feel it’s only fair that I share that with you before you start watching so you don’t smack your forehead and wonder if you’re the only dork who didn’t figure it out sooner. It’s so obvious and hard to miss but you know, some of us just…when you’re a newbie you’re not paying attention to things like that!

13. You will never look at on-call rooms in a hospital the same way after watching this show

Yeah, those on-call rooms are where all the ‘fun’ happens if you get my drift. They really should remember to lock the door, or put a sock on the doorknob or something…

14. Another fun fact (because Grey’s is full of super fun facts). You know those awesome/inspiring/mind-blowing/crazy medical cases that come in every Thursday? Those are based on REALITY. That’s right. Some of this stuff is real, people and based off ‘cutting edge’ medical stories, according to Debbie Allen in Variety.

15. This show is going to be your newest obsession, if it's not already.

If you haven’t watched this show and are looking for something new to start binge watching, I highly encourage you…no, I INSIST that you start watching it. Even if doctor shows aren’t your thing. It’s about the medical but it’s also about the people and the characters. I didn’t jump on the bandwagon until WAY too late and now I wished I would have started watching sooner so I’m not seven seasons behind.

So that’s it. My ‘fifteen things’ you should know before watching Grey’s Anatomy. I dare you to watch this show and NOT become obsessed. If you’re already obsessed, I love you and we should have a binge night together.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to leave you with yet another epic quote while I go dance it out, be my own person and find my moment in the sun:

“Don’t let fear keep you quiet. You have a voice so use it. Speak up. Raise your hands. Shout your answers. Make yourself heard. Whatever it takes, just find your voice and when you do, fill the damn silence.” – Meredith Grey