15 Things You Know To Be True When You Have Curly Hair

Take it from a girl with very curly hair.

64
Instagram

Let's face it having curly hair comes with it's struggles. In fact, It comes with many. Despite that, it also comes with it's upsides. In recent years the "natural hair" frenzy has taken over. Women are tossing their straighteners, weaves, and extensions for twist outs, thick leave ins and natural gels. The natural hair care wave has taken social media by storm. By default prices for natural hair care products have surged. I have damaged it with chemical straighteners as a child, the continued to burn my hair with a straightener as a teenager. After 22 long years of having curly hair I have finally accepted wearing it how it how it is supposed to be... Curly. I've gathered a list together of things fellow curlies can relate to; here are "10 things you know to be true when you have very curly hair".

1. The conditioner to shampoo ratio is 3:1.

Seriously... Conditioner is your best friend. I couldn't even tell you the last time I bought a bottle of shampoo/ Conditioner is another story.

2. Everyone is going to want to run their fingers through it.

It is like they have never seen hair before. Do not touch it.

3. You will build up a collection of hair products.

Because yes, you need 18 different leave ins, and 6 different hair gels.

4. The thought of getting it trimmed makes you want to die.

So you never get a trim... Ever.

5. The days you have an event it never cooperates.

Doesn't matter if you're going out for the night or going to a wedding. It won't cooperate so plan accordingly. Then the days you're at home and don't see anyone it looks great... Go figure.

6. It takes an hour minimum to straighten it.

And your arms tend to give out half way through. Usually you end up nicking your ear and your fingers tips in the process . You get used to the burns.

7. It is so versatile.

Braids, buns, straight, curly, locs, you name it. With curly hair you can do it all.

8. You don't have to wash it every day.

Curly hair needs all the moisture it can get and washing it daily strips the scalp of its natural oils.

9. It tangles easily.... Very easily.

I can still remember the days my mother would literally have to cut the knotty tangly curls out of my hair with a pair of scissors. Ps: S/O to you mom!

10. Shrinkage!

It is real. it is annoying. But it's just something you deal with.

11. Your hair ties will break.

It doesn't matter what level of quality it is... it is going to break after a few uses.

12. Having abnormally big hair.

Just when you think it couldn't grow anymore... Rain :)

13. Bobby pins.

They'll end up all over the house to the point where your roommates, mom, and everyone you know nags you about it. It's okay you're simply marking your territory. Besides, it's not like you could live without them.

14. Coconut oil.

If you don't own a jar you need to stop what you are doing right now and go buy one.

15. Loving your curls.

Yes they can be a hassle and yes sometimes they don't always cooperate but I wouldn't trade them fro the world. I love having curly hair.