15 Things You Know To Be True If You Grew Up In Lemont, IL

Let's hear it for the dirty 630.

753
LemontHistorical

Thirty miles southwest of Chicago is the wonderful village of Lemont with its "whopping" 16,000 residents. With our claim to fame as Lemont High School and downtown featured in MTV film "Save the Last Dance" or as home of Stanley Cup victor Scott Darling, Lemont is one of a kind Chicago suburb. Here are 15 things only Lemont residents know to be true.

1. We called ourselves L-Town far before Lockport ever did.

2. You played Little League or AYSO at some point.

Growing up, the Lemont Park District fields were the place to be. With $5 of your parent's money in your pocket, you could buy Big League Chew, sunflower seeds, and a Gatorade. Nothing could beat cheering on the sideline chanting your ridiculous team name or batting underneath the lights.

3. You weren't cool in middle school until you walked to get food on Fridays.

It took just about 10 times to ask Mom for her permission and her response was probably "What if I drove you and your friends?" You walked in crowds with all your friends and sprinted across 127th or State Street when no cars were even around. How could you miss out on a shaving cream fight the last day of school or that Frapuccino from Starbucks?

4. If you weren't in high school yet, you belonged on the hill at football games.

Sure you couldn't see any of the game but you did get to table top your middle school crush and see him or her tumble down the hill. Now what could be better than that?

5. Keepataw days and Car shows were the townies' favorite destinations.

You would wear your cutest middle school outfit and plan with all of your friends to go to Keepataw Days on the same day. From old bands playing songs only your parents would know to the safest rides put up in less than a day, this end of summer festival was all you could ask for and more.

6. You never want to be a freshman during Homecoming Week.

Homecoming week was the best time to show your school spirit, that is if you weren't a freshman. From being duct taped to a post, having pennies thrown at you while walking at the Main Staircase, or lasting three seconds in tug-a-war, the freshmen never stood a chance against the upperclassmen (I'm pretty sure I was thrown into a garbage can after this picture was taken). So freshies do yourself a favor and just "go home."

6. Every grade has its own Polish mafia.

With Celina's Deli and Polish mass on every Sunday, the Polish families (where somehow everyone is related) dominate Lemont's small population. And if you weren't Polish, you still were well aware of the Polish holidays and knew to avoid anyone and everyone on Śmigus-Dyngus to save yourself from being soaked with water (still laughing from that name).

7. LHS Football is king and Oak Forest sucks at everything.

There's no better time to unite as a whole student body than when facing our beloved rival Choke Forest. After creaming them every single football and basketball game, for about a second you almost feel sorry for good ol' Stroke Forest. And after chanting "Buck the Fengals" you even wonder, are they good at anything?

8. Cops have nothing better to do than write you a ticket for going five over.

If you live in Lemont and never had to go to traffic court, consider yourself lucky. For the total lack of crime, we have way too many police cars driving all around town. So my advice to you is don't just come to a complete stop at every stop sign, count for at least four seconds and you may not upset that cop parked on a neighborhood street with nothing better to do than write you off.

9. Where else would you go to hang but your friends' basements?

With a closed down bowling alley and movie theatre just out of town, there's basically nothing to do unless you have your driver's license and can drive outside of Lemont's 10 minute radius. So you're stuck hanging out at your same friend's basement every Saturday night. Once high school comes around, their basements turns into basement parties where everyone shows up to. Who needs an invite anyhow?

10. There's a church for every hilltop.

11. Nothing beats Chipain's deals or Lemon Tree's BG fries.

Let's face it, if you have never been to Lemont you probably have never heard of a Chipain's or even Lemon Tree. The Butter Garlic fries may have been a heart attack in a bag but they sure were worth every greasy bite.

12. If you want to get good food you have to drive all the way out to Route 83.

While awaiting a Panera for years now, you struggle and complain on your drive out of town anytime you want something besides Mickey D's.

13. Tinley Park Amphitheatre's cement in lawn is Lemont territory only.

Once Summer rolls around, Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre's cheap lawn tickets are finally for sale. After walking around families on blankets that actually came to see the performer, you can witness your best friend's first kiss with a complete stranger.

14. At any time of the day, you can count on seeing someone you know at the Core.

While breaking a sweat running a measly one mile on the treadmill, the last thing you want is to see someone from high school. But low and behold, the typical group of guys or that girl with a full face of makeup walk in and you're stuck catching up with an old acquaintance rather than working out on your own.

15. Nothing beats that Lemont Bridge view.

Driving back in from Lemont Bridge, you get a glimpse of almost all of our sleepy town. You may have complained that Lemont is too small, the downtown is dead, and there's nothing to ever do. But let's face it, once you leave you can't help but reminisce on the good times spent in our home sweet home.