15 Things You Absolutely Need To Know About Wisconsin

Aaron Rodgers is God

617

Every person you meet has a unique story. These stories are woven from their personality, their past, their memories, the people they surround themselves, and their environment. So when we take a broader look at a person, you can look at where they are from. I knew that there was a difference between West Coast and East Coast, or Midwest and the South, but I never realized how significant the differences are between each state. Growing up in Illinois, I always thought that Wisconsin was pretty similar, just with more cows. Now that I have been living in Wisconsin, there is a lot of things that put it apart from its surrounding states as well as the good ol' U.S of A.

1. It is not a water fountain, it’s a bubbler

Because they take the phrase water fountain literally and will send you to an actual water fountain outside.

2. There are a lot of cows

The lands are filled with a lot of natural sights, but the smell of cows linger across the entire state.

3. There is also a lot of cheese

If you have never seen a big wheel of cheese, this is the place to go.

4. We are the No. 1 drinking state, and proud of it

Check any top states list, and Wisconsin is always No.1 for drinking hands down.

5.The Bucks ARE a professional basketball team

Even though the idea of a deer being the mascot is not intimidating, they have actually been holding their own the past couple seasons.

6. The Admirals ARE NOT a professional hockey team

It took me awhile to accept that the Bucks are a professional team, so you can see where I was confused when the Admirals were not in the NHL.

7. No one goes in the lake

The water is freezing 99% of the year, so unless its 100 degrees in early September there is no satisfaction of entering the cold deeps of the smelly lake.

8. There is no tax on food

Didn’t know this until I went to the grocery store and sat there waiting for the machine to read me my tax cost. Pretty sweet deal.

9. The farther North you go, the colder

Naturally the father away from the equator you go, the colder. But when there is not snow in southern parts of Wisconsin, people head north to play with their snow mobiles and other winter toys.

10. The farther North you go, the prettier

Once you get used to the cow smell, you will start to notice the beauty that Wisconsin has to offer. With four seasons, there are so many opportunities to enjoy what mother nature has to offer.

11. Aaron Rodgers is God

I am not and will never be a Packers fan, so for even making that statement there are some friends that will not talk to me during football season. Every Packer fan bleeds green and yellow, and will fight to the death for Aaron Rodgers.

12. Brewers Games are the best

It’s a day drinking/tailgating, Sausage racin’, good ol’ American baseball kind of day over at Miller Park that is too good to miss.

13. Madison lives up to all expectations

The beauty, size, and fun that you here from people who visit Madison are not exaggerating, it’s a pretty great place to be.

14. Saying “bag” like a normal person doesn’t happen

I have had this argument with Wisconsin natives for years, and even though I say “Chicago” like a native Illini it does not excuse the fact that Wisconsin natives say things weird.

15. It’s a pretty cool place

After choosing this to go to school here for the past three years, I could not be happier. Wisconsin is a unique place that I call home, and "we're all alright".