10 Incredible Things That You Discover When You Travel Alone

Whether you're excited, nervous, or downright terrified before you set out, the first time you experience the world by yourself is extremely illuminating

27

This past July I was fortunate enough to travel on a service project to Tanzania with Rustic Pathways, a company that runs all kinds of trips around the world. This was my first experience traveling completely alone; I had flown by myself before, but there had always been a familiar face waiting for me at the next airport. The day before I embarked it hit me that I was about to journey half way across the world to a place I had never been, with people I have never met. For the first time since I signed up for the trip, my sheer excitement was replaced with anxiety. What if I had trouble forging friendships? What if I couldn't find my niche in Tanzania? What if I did something dumb like lose my passport or fall off a safari bus? This nervousness is utterly normal; who wouldn't be stressed about jetting off by themselves to a place that couldn't be more different from their home? Thankfully by the time I took my first steps onto East African soil most of my worries were gone. Many lasting friendships had already begun to form thanks to the past 19 hours of traveling, so I was back to being intoxicated by the idea of Africa and it didn't take long for me to fall in love with Tanzania's stunning landscapes, fascinating cul≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥≥/ture, and musical language. Over the course of this trip I discovered so much about the world, about humanity, about myself. I truly believe this would not have been possible if I hadn't gone alone. Here's what I found:

1. There is kindness everywhere. I'll be the first to admit that this first point (as well as almost all of this article) is absolutely cliché. But, it's cliché because it's true. Part of why I was so scared of traveling so far alone was understanding that I was going to need help along the way, and my misconception that no one would be bothered enough to give that help. I couldn't have been more wrong; whether I was changing flights in the Amsterdam airport, teaching with my group in the village school, or chatting with my roommates in our cabin-esque room, there was always someone around who wanted nothing more than to be my friend, hear what I had to say, and help me in any way possible. No matter where you are in the world you can find kindness if you look hard enough.

2. You don't know nearly as much as you think you do. I went to Tanzania with the same mindset that most volunteers do: I figured I would go, make some friends, help people as much as I can, and it would all somehow make me a better person. I learned quickly that this was wrong; the bubble in which I was living was quickly popped when I realized just how self-serving volunteering can really be. Moral of the story: you don't know everything and you're most likely not nearly as worldly as you think you are.

3. Greater tolerance. This one doesn't need much explaining; the more people, places, cultures, and even religions you are exposed to, the more appreciative you are of the differences that make our world what it is.

4. You'll find that you have something in common with nearly everyone. I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to find anything to talk about with the people on my trip, which turned out to be completely false. You won't instantly connect with every person you meet along the way, but I promise that there is always something to talk about no matter how different the other person is.

5. Freedom. This might be the best one of all. When you're traveling alone you have the freedom to do whatever you want, to be yourself, or even to reinvent yourself. There's a part of you that you've kept hidden from your friends and family at home? now's your chance to show it. There's something about yourself you've always wanted to be different? now's your chance to change it. So much growth can happen when you have some alone time, so take the opportunity to be a better, truer you.

6. You remember things that you had completely forgotten about. While I was away there were many moments when I was left alone with my thoughts, and being in a place that's so different from what I knew caused me to recall memories that I hadn't dwelled on in ages. Going hand in hand with #7, this is a gift because it's nice to slow down once in a while and think of all that's happened to you over the years.

7. You appreciate everything more. This was dramatic for me because, as you might imagine, living conditions in Eastern Africa are not nearly what they are here in the United States. I had an incredible time, but I did miss my friends, family, bed, food, internet, and, above all, western plumbing. This trip really made me appreciate how fortunate I am because I could have been born anywhere; it all comes down to luck. However, this can also apply to changes that aren't as drastic; no matter where you are, even if you are living it up in a 5 star resort in Ibiza, no where is exactly like home and this makes you appreciate what you have a little (or, in my case, a lot) more than you did before.

8. You have an exhilarating independence. One of my close friends recently described traveling alone as a "sink or swim" experience, and this is undeniably accurate. Neither your family nor your friends are with you- you must have your own back. I loved this feeling, but for many it can be overwhelming and even terrifying. You must find away to rise to the occasion, whatever it may be, or else you will sink, no ifs, ands, or buts.

9. Traveling solo is a huge confidence booster, especially after the fact. When you finally arrive home and are sitting down thinking about the fantastic journey you just had, you can't help but be amazed by and proud of yourself. This instills in you the confidence to take on anything and everything. No matter where you were or what you were doing, traveling alone, especially for the first time, is something to be very proud of.

10. You can find home in any place you go to. Whether you're traveling by yourself across your state, across your country, or even across the world, you can always find a way to feel at home if you look hard enough.