15 Things You Learn From Rejection

Rejection is something you will face in a variety of ways. You face it in the form of job applications, dating, or new experiences. Here are 15 things you learn from rejection.

1. It is OK to face that risk.

When you take risks, and face them, you are also setting up for possible failure, but you will learn from that.

2. You are not one-size-fits-all.

You will never be the 100% perfect match for everyone, but you are 100% a perfect match for a subset of that, and that is what you should focus on.

3. You are allowed to walk away.

Find a place that makes you feel welcomed, that allows you to see great things in yourself, and find a place that has people who you click with.

4. You are also allowed to stay.

If you don't feel like you are at your best when you try to do something new and find yourself better suited off at home, you know where you're best suited to be.

5. It hurts.

When you hear the phrase "No..." or when you don't feel like your thoughts are appreciated, you wonder why you even tried. It's a fresh emotion to deal with and it hurts the most when it's on your mind.

6. You gave yourself a chance.

You completed the hardest step by stepping out of your comfort zone. You applied to that job to put yourself up for consideration, you went up to the girls at the table with all her friends to try to start a conversation with them, or you tried that sport or hobby that you didn't want to try before. Way to go!

"Shoot for the moon; even if you miss you'll land among the stars." - Les Brown

7. You are gaining respect.

In spite of the failures and results that don't always go your way, you did what most people don't do, which is try. You may not always advance farther than that, but you definitely reached for the prize and that will capture almost everyone's eyes.

8. You are allowing yourself to become a better person.

Nobody's a perfect individual, but there's an opportunity to get better at your craft when you aren't completely successful. You're allowing yourself to know what you can fix, and how to do it.

9. You are good enough.

Those who you competed with in a competition all know that you made it to that stage for a reason. You have what it takes even when you aren't crowned as the winner.

10. You learn respect.

As disappointing as rejection is, or having an outcome work against your desire, you congratulate the winner on a job well done, and realize that your competitors are great people just like you and they deserve some recognition.

11. You are willing to be vulnerable.

Consider yourself as a talented musician who aspires to study music in a collegiate or graduate curriculum. You may be feeling nervous in your first performance as a college student, but you decided to go for it.14.

12. You are strong.

You're willing to face it more than one time - many people will fold after the first time they get rejected, but you are still willing to get the ball rolling again. You're also willing to let people say "no" to you or to take sub-positive feedback.

13. You have a better sense of self.

Looking back, you realize what your identity is, and through some rejection motivates you to keep trying, you learn about what suits you best.

14. You can still reach your goals.

When you interview for your dream company or you are on a first date that you hope will lead to bigger and better things, but it doesn't work out, it doesn't mean that you can't reach your goals, since you can. If you're looking to get married, the first date is one of the most important steps and you're finding your way to get there; if you're looking to work for a certain company and you don't get selected then, you can definitely interview again.

15. There is still a plan for you.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." - Jeremiah 29:11, English Standard Version