15 Things I Wish I Knew As A College Freshman

This will make your experience much easier.

161
Emilee Dugger

Being a freshman in college is one of the most exciting times in your life. It's all about figuring out who you are and what you want to do with your life, which is equally awesome and stressful. But not every experience is perfect, so here are _ things all freshmen or incoming freshmen should know about their first year of college.

1. Go to as many campus activities/events as you can. Getting involved is the best way to find something to keep you busy after classes, and it never looks bad on your resume or CV. Also, free food.

2. If your campus has a free gym, take advantage of it. The freshman 15 is only real if you don't take care of yourself.

3. Having class at 8 A.M. in college is completely different than 8 A.M. in high school. Avoid them at all costs.

4. Being in a relationship is fun, but don't let it be the only thing you focus on. You have to put yourself first while you're still finding yourself.

5. The plan you have for yourself before college might not be the plan you actually go through with, and that's okay. You need to make adjustments as you grow to do what's going to bring you success and happiness.

6. Sleep is important. No matter how much work you have to do or how stressed you are, you need to get your 8 hours. You won't do any better in school running on 5 hours of sleep a night.

7. Elective classes aren't dumb. Consider them a break from your stressful required courses and enjoy your art classes.

8. Go out with your friends as much as possible. You're not gonna make any memories sitting in your dorm binge watching Netflix on a Saturday night.

9. If you're not doing what you love, reevaluate.

10. If you procrastinate too much, you'll end up cramming and being more stressed than you would have been if you had just written the paper a week ago.

11. Mental health always comes first. Sometimes you need to step back from your work and take a few deep breaths so you don't let anything build up.

12. Get out of your comfort zone every once in a while. It's the best way to learn new things about yourself.

13. Take headphones with you everywhere you go. Just in case you get bored or really really don't want anyone to talk to you.

14. Talk to your professors. You'll thank yourself for this when it helps your grade, and it builds the number of faculty willing to write your letters of recommendation.

15. You're going to change so much from the beginning to the end of the year, and that's okay. Be the person you think you are, not who everyone expects you to be- you'll be so much happier.