15 Things I Want My Little Sister To Know

Getting to be a big sister is the greatest part of my life without a doubt.

40
Sophia Holbrook

Since I was 2.5 years old, I've had my own, live-in best friend. Getting to be a big sister is the greatest part of my life without a doubt, and I can say easily that my younger brother and sister are my two best friends in the world. My younger sister Ava is 16 and about to enter two big years of high school, being a junior and then a graduating senior. She and I are particularly close, and I miss her every day. When I moved to college, and to this day, I was worried about the things I would miss and the things that I wouldn't get to see unfold in her life when I was away. And although distance does make the heart grow fonder and sisters closer, I wanted to write 15 things that I hope my younger sister knows and that every girl growing up and getting through high school knows and understands- because even though big and little sisters talk about everything, there are some things we need you to hear twice.

1. The first thing I hope you know is that taking care of yourself and your mind, body, heart and soul should always come first- put your feelings and well-being ahead of anything and everything else, including school. You deserve to be healthy, happy and strong in every way- don't let the stresses of life let you forget that.

2. Secondly, your body is perfect just as it is. There will be pressure to look a certain way, follow certain trends, or to change your eating habits as you go through life. But believe me when I say that every body is beautiful. You don't need any diet, any makeup, or any article of clothing for that to be true. Practice moderation, treat yourself, exercise and focus on loving the unique parts of you because those make you the most beautiful.

3. Your grades don't define you at all. And I know you've heard that so many times. But aside from getting into school, those transcripts and GPA points say nothing about who you are. I know who you are and you do too. I spent too much time worried about my grades in high school. Instead of getting my work done and moving on, I got my work done and let it make me feel like I wasn't enough. I want you to know that you're so much more than that report card, and that when everyone is worried about grades, you shouldn't feed into the negative energy- do what you need to do and the rest will fall into place.

4. After these four years, you're going to end up somewhere. You don't know where that is yet, and sometimes it'll make you crazy wondering. But I want you to know that you're going to end up somewhere great, and you're going to be exactly where you are meant to be. Fate and life have big plans for you, and wherever you go after high school will be full of adventure- it doesn't matter where that is and if it isn't an Ivy League or something crazy, it doesn't make a difference. Every option presents a new door of opportunity and whatever you do, I'll be behind you supporting you with every step.

5. What you do now won't always matter, but the things you remember will. When you head off to college or start your career after graduating high school, you'll want to remember so much joy. Remembering wasted time, painful losses, and being hurt isn't how you want to enter the next chapter (trust me). I hope that you take every day as a gift, enjoy it wholeheartedly, and aim to find joy in every experience, because you remember joy with the most happiness when you enter the next years of your life.

6. Similarly, I want you to remember that in 10 years, you'll want to be able to say with confidence that the choices you made and the life you have lived so far brought your heart happiness. Whoever you meet, whatever you do, live it with happiness and make it your goal to bring your heart joy. Moments that do that define your life and I know that you deserve that kind of joy tenfold.

7. Laughter is so important. That's one thing I have learned in 18 short years. You made me laugh the hardest when I was at home of anyone in my life. When I moved to school, the first few weeks were hard. But when I began to bond with the girls that I call my best friends now, I got that laugh back- the one that only my little sister's jokes could cause. Genuine laughter is the best feeling in the world, and it is so essential to your life. Take time to laugh every single day. You deserve people in your life and a journey that make laughter easy and every bit rewarding.

8. Take good care of your friends and take their advice seriously, especially when it comes to boys. What your girls say has a different level of truth. A true friend can spot a bad situation from a mile away and will protect your heart ferociously- keep those ones around and when they say to stay away from a boy, don't take it lightly. I'm thankful every day for the good people you have in your life.

9. Even more than your friends, Mom knows all. Trust me when I say that if you can't make a big choice or you don't know whether to follow your head of your heart, your mom will be the perfect combination of the two. No one knows better what is best for you and no one can see through to your true self better. There are so many times when I wish I had listened to Mom's advice more and followed it exactly. She knows best, always.

10. You are not defined by anything a boy says to you or any relationship. You are not defined by any boy's feelings or actions, and how they might make you feel. Your heart is fragile, so protect it. And if you meet someone, even if they're really great, I want you to remember to always put yourself first and know that your worth is defined by you and the love you have for yourself, not by anyone else. Not to mention, I don't think there is any boy worthy of you because you're too good for all of them. But when you find the right one, make sure he appreciates you with the utmost sincerity. You come first.

11. When you do meet someone really great, whether it is someone who you have feelings for or a really great friend, know that no one who deserves a place in your life, values you, or is worth it will hurt you or break your heart. The right person will never be capable of hurting you; it isn't in them. It's a hard fact to embrace because we're all drawn to forgive, but as you get older it's important to remember to forgive without forgetting and that if someone was able to hurt you, they don't deserve your time or a place in your life. It's too short of a life to waste time on those who bring you down.

12. Use your head, but follow your heart. Whether this be in life, relationships, friendships, or figuring out a tough situation- let the logic that is in your mind help you make decisions, but when your heart is drawn toward a passion, a choice, a person or an adventure, don't question it so much. That leads to regret in the future.

13. Smile often, and endlessly. Not because someone told you to smile more, or that you look upset. Smile because it feels good. It's proven to make your mood and overall health better. Smile because you have the best smile, you deserve happiness, and because life is too short not to embrace what's around you with joy. Smile as often and as genuinely as you can- the world deserves to see that.

14. Love freely and as often as you can. Love what you're doing, what you're learning, the people you surround yourself with, and the life you have. If you focus on the good, loving people, and bringing love to your life and the lives of the people around you, good things will come your way. Go out of your way to make people smile and show your love for them and it'll all come back to you, too.

15. And finally, whatever you do in high school and beyond, stand up for what you believe in no matter what. Even if people disagree, even if you are alone in your ideas, even if you feel like you're wrong. If you believe in something and fight for something, you are unstoppable and no thing or person should stop you from standing up for what you are passionate about or what you believe in. If you use this as a guiding principle for your actions, you'll achieve great things and make yourself proud.

I hope that you, and every little sister in the world, knows her worth, value, potential and brilliance. You're more important to me than you know, and I wish I could be home to watch you enjoy the next years of your life. From me to you, Ava, and from big sisters to our little sisters everywhere, never forget how special you are and how important you are. Define life on your own terms, go out on a limb, have so much fun, and embrace the good and the bad every day. If you live each day pursuing joy and live each day for yourself, you can't lose.

XOXO,

Your big sister