15 Things College Taught Me

15 Things College Taught Me

What I learned about (my) school in eight years.

24
15 Things College Taught Me
Jacob Jardel/Aggie Central

For an incoming freshman, college is a scary and exciting place. From the jump, you have your welcome week filled with 2.8 quadrillion things to do or think about. Plus, some classes will start doing actual work on the first day. It's a lot to take in on top of being at a new place. But for someone who's been at it for, let's say, eight years (at the same uni, for that matter), college is life. It's pretty easy to forget what it was like when you were a wide-eyed newbie because you know the drill. But here are a few things I've learned at my university as my time here is now down to months. It may generalize to other universities, it may not. But having this kind of knowledge can at least give you some perspective about what college life is like.

1. Everyone is a nerd

There was a time when having a fervent love for any "non-adult" endeavor was grounds for derision. Now, the people with that passion grew up and found their way to your classrooms. It's not always comics or gaming, but every professor is a nerd of some sort.

2. Free food is life

Most of the time, it's pizza of some sort. Sometimes, you'll get lucky and have something a bit more original. Either way, college students will have access to free food at least once a week if they know where to look. On our budget, it's a godsend.

3. Free t-shirts are also life

If you go to enough events or do enough things around campus, you can have a university t-shirt for every day of the week with some to spare. You may have to pay for some, but there will be ample opportunities to get one or five for free.

4. Really, free anything is the name of the game

Uni students do not have the biggest of budgets. Many people realize that, thankfully, and offer free things—whether it's free gelato at a local pizza place or free headphones with the purchase of a computer. Look around and see what's good—on and off campus.

5. But don't forget the student discounts

If you can't get it free, getting it cheaper can help just as much in tough times. Some places advertise these discounts openly while others do it covertly with stickers or some other demarcation. Just look and ask around, and you, too, could get 20 percent off that burger.

6. It only gets more expensive from here

It's hard to believe, I know—the real world is expensive. Everything short of breathing is going to cost you at least something, it seems. But the broke college kid days are your time to learn how to use money properly, what with the free and discounted everything.

7. You will finally escape the high school drama...

Just read that image. Usually, this time happens during college when you meet your lifelong friends and learn to communicate like adults. You know, respect and congruency between thought and action among other healthy habits.

8. ...But you won't get rid of it overnight

It's going to take time, especially if you go to a small regional school close to home where a lot of your graduating class go "to get the basics." If you go far away, it may still happen because everyone is unfamiliar with everything. Give it time. And try not to lose your mind.

9. Trust the bus driver, never the bus

Depending on your school's budget, the transportation is either really nice or the opposite. Either way, technical difficulties will occur—sometimes frequently. But the best of drivers will make it so you can stay alive and get back on the road soon.

10. Finding friends is different...

In high school, you made your friends from previous grade school experience, forced encounters near lockers or in class or clubs. It's similar in college, but there is one big difference—you have to put the effort out yourself. It's scary, but it's rewarding.

11. ...But the friends you get are gold...

Truly, the friends you make in college are the ones that stay forever. Part of it could be that you pick these ones out yourself. But these are also the people who were there for (and helped with) your growth as an adult. That's a big deal no matter how you slice it.

12. ...As are the (good) professors

There's a saying that reads, "To teach is to touch lives forever." It's cliche, but it's cliche because it's true. In the same way that your college friends stick with you, the professors with whom you bond and grow with/under will leave an indelible mark on you.

13. Everyone finds their routine eventually

The start of the semester is about establishing how and when you do what, no matter how long you've been in school. It's scary when everything is happening, but once you establish the routine, it gets easier. But don't forget to change things up once in a while.

14. The only constant thing is change...

Whether professor departure, budget cuts or anything out of the ordinary, change will happen. But it isn't always bad. In the words of a wise professor, if you leave as the same person you were when you came in, then you didn't truly learn.

15. ...But your memories will stay forever

Whether you made countless memories or wish you had, this time in life will always be one of growth and self-discovery, even if you hated going to college. What you do will shape who you are, what matters to you and how it matters. So live it like it.