15 Struggles of Working Retail As Told By Amy Poehler

I'm not a regular sales associate, I'm a cool sales associate.

9

Working retail is infamous for being a frustrating job. Outsiders don't see beyond the employee discounts and our peppy attitudes. Retail does have its positive attributes — employees gain interpersonal skills, learn how to fold clothing like a pro and put their creativity to good use while building displays. Despite this, the troubles we face sometimes don't make it worth it. But hey, at least we know how to dress.

Here is a compilation of hardships all retail employees face as told by the incomparable Amy Poehler.

1. Customers who are rude or treat you like a peasant.

These people really know how to put you in a bad mood. Whether they ignore you or talk to you in a condescending tone, they definitely don't make your job any easier. My personal favorite is when I ask a customer "Hey how's it going?" or even come close to starting a casual conversation, they bark "I'm just looking!" I'm sorry, but that's not what I asked.

2. When it's your turn to sort hangers.

3. No, I'm not flirting with you. I am just trying to tell you what sales we have going on.

4. We do not decide the prices.

I can't tell you how many times a customer has complained about an item's monetary value. If you want to shop cheap, go to Good Will.

5. My manager is going to say the same thing I just did.

If I wasn't sure about a question you were asking, I would've already asked my boss. They aren't going to say anything different.

6. When customers leave surprises for you or messes in the dressing room.

It is extremely frustrating to have to hang up the wrinkly and dirty clothing that customers leave on the floor.

7. When I say "we don't have anything in the back," I mean it.

I've even had customers INSIST that I go back there to check "just in case." All we have back there is empty boxes and ladders, thank you very much.

8. These words make you cringe: Back-To-School, Black Friday and Christmas.

9. Customers taking five seconds to mess up folds that took you twenty minutes.

We call these people "tornadoes." They destroy literally everything in their path, leaving us with the aftermath.

10. Customers who ask for a discount or free stuff.

Yes, we have to be nice to the customers, but that doesn't mean we are their friends. It peeves us when customers slyly ask for a discount or when high school students come in and the first question we get is if we have free stuff. You are at a clothing store where you BUY things. Also, Public Service Announcement: No, if the tag fell off an article of clothing it is not free. Thank You.

11. When customers keep shopping way past closing.

Unless they're going to drop an obscene amount of money, we just want to go home.

12. Shoplifters.

We notice when a customer is acting strangely while in the store. They don't make our jobs any easier when we have to awkwardly confront them about what they have stowed away in their bag.

13. Inventory.

14. District managers are like the police of retail.

You're scared and nervous in their presence, and they can fire you with the snap of their fingers, and they won't even bat an eyelash doing it. They can smell fear.

15. The biggest pressure of the job is making quota.

That means being the pushy salesperson that only cares about numbers. It's awkward for customers because they know we only want the money in their wallets in order to keep our jobs. If we don't make quota consistently, the entire store goes down hill as well as our employment.

Whether we are working retail because we are trying to get through college or we just need a job, it teaches us many things. Through all of this, at least we are getting paid and the customer is (hopefully) satisfied.