15 Struggles Only People With Cars On Campus Know

"Having to park in the visitor's lot..."

29
wisegeek.com

Having a car on campus during school is a blessing and a curse. There are some moments in college when I am so glad I have a car on campus like when I need to run a quick errand or go home for a little while. However, there are also clear struggles with having a car such as panicking when there are no parking spots or having to turn down friends when they want a ride because they don't fit in your car.

1. Finding a parking spot

This issue is real. There is nothing like the panic that sets in when there are no more parking spots left in the lot next to your dorm

2. Having to walk to the visitor's lot 20 minutes away to get your car

And to make matters worse, the only other choice when there are no spots is to park in the visitors lot which is a long and sad walk back to the dorm

3. Having to warm up before you use your car

This is relevant with the winter and fall, but having to wait to warm up the car in college is not easy. You don't want to leave the car idling while you're in the dorm but also don't want to sit in the freezing cold car.

4. When people use you to get a ride.

5. When you have car issues but no parents around.

6. Forgetting where your car is parked

In a lot with about 100 other cars, it is hard to spot a dark colored car in the sea of other dark colored cars.

7. The fear of your car being ticketed.

8. Knowing that you will eventually have to shovel your car out of the snow.

9. Having a good parking spot and not wanting to move your car.

10. Carrying luggage or groceries from your car into the building

Wanting to take everything in one trip but knowing the task is impossible is heartbreaking.

11. Pedestrians are the root of all evil

Bikers, walkers, etc. are the biggest challenge. They come out of nowhere and are a threat to the road.

12. The awkward conversation about gas money

Eventually, when you drive someone enough, it is necessary to ask about gas money. This conversation is always awkward but is essential.

13. When you leave something in the car and you have to go back and get it

14. Not being able to fit all your friends in the car.

It is always hard to say that someone can't come with, but sometimes there is an automatic exclusion because of the limited number of seats in the car.

15. Knowing you have the ability to leave but know you shouldn't.

Not that being at college isn't great, but the ability to go home is always tempting even when you know you need to go stay on campus.