15 Signs To Realizing You Have The Flu

15 Signs To Realizing You Have The Flu

The one time I don't get the flu shot and I get the flu. Karma is something else.

650
15 Signs To Realizing You Have The Flu
Gabe Clogston

For the first time ever, I had the flu and it was by far the worst experience I've had. I had never wanted to just die in my sleep until I was coughing, sniffling, and running fever as much as I did when I caught the flu. I was sick for almost two weeks if we want to count the first few days where I wasn't feeling well. And the thing was, I didn't think I had the flu until I started to notice these signs.

1. Stomachaches.

It all started almost a week before I actually got struck down with the flu. I hadn't been feeling well the week prior and suffered from stomachaches or just an unwillingness to really eat anything. At the time, I figured it had to do with stress. I mean, what college student doesn't have stress during their four years? But, my stomach didn't like food and I didn't feel like eating when I should be starving from not eating at all. Granted, if it wasn't for my friends here at Delta State, my mom, boyfriend, and friends back home then I probably wouldn't have eaten anything period. So, shout out to those wonderful people who force you to eat! Y'all are awesome.

2. Feeling horrible for the first three-four days.

Even when I was starting to get sick, I felt pretty bad. I literally wanted to sleep all day and everyday. Which is kinda hard to do when you have classes you've gotta attend and take tests. Also kinda hard to do when you have assignments and readings to do for the next day. I didn't want to be around people because I knew I was getting sick by this point and didn't want it to spread to friends and family. Then, of course, in the back of my mind: What if it turns into the flu? You never got your freakin' flu shot, Avery, so it'll be karma!

But, no. I had to shake that away and be stubborn about it. Which was really dumb on my part since the flu was making its rounds across campus.

3. The unfortunate beginnings of a cough.

It wasn't until late Thursday afternoon that I began to cough. Which got progressively worse that night then the next day. I still believed that I was okay and that I probably had a viral infection or something. Why do I have to be so stubborn and deny everything! I HAD SO MANY SIGNS IT'S HILARIOUS.

4. Practically wanting to cough up both of your lungs.

Then, of course, because that cough has gotten so bad and I'm an idiot, I felt like I was going to cough up both my lungs. You'd think I'd go get some cough drops, right? Nope. I'm so busy trying to cough up my lungs that I don't have time to go to Walgreens and get some. I'm lucky I didn't choke on air.

5. When a trip to the university's health center gave you false hope of not having the flu.

Okay, I'm not bashing the health centers on any college campus. I'm just saying: I went to mine and they told me I had an upper respiratory infection and prescribed me coughing medicine and antibiotics. Maybe it was too early for them to test for the flu, but considering how they only looked at my throat and listened to me breathe—that was their mistake. Probably would've saved me some days with being sick...

6. That moment when you're struck down with a 100+ degree fever the very next day.

Then, that very Saturday: I had a high fever. I have never felt so cold in my entire life until then and that's saying something since I always feel like I'm in an icebox. This should've been a very obvious clue that I was getting worse and I should go to the doctor. Even then, I had this gut feeling that it was probably the flu, but I'm still in denial. Because I've never had the flu before—I should be fine because I had developed an immune system for before. Which, in hindsight, was a pretty stupid thought considering there are different strains of the flu and even with the vaccine, you can still catch the flu. What did I care? I was freezing with a 102 fever. I deserved to be dumb for a little while.

7. When you're lying down in bed thinking that you probably have the flu, but still hoping it's just something else.

Oh how much I pleaded with God that I didn't have the flu. I didn't want the flu. I didn't want to miss class because I knew it would be a huge pain in the ass to catch up. Hell, I didn't want to be sick period. I hate not being able to move about and be able to do things.

8. Sunday: Still not better, but getting worse. Time to go the doctor. Again.

My nana suggested to my Mom that I go to the doctor because I was getting worse. So, we went. Waited for about an hour in the waiting room, not counting the time it took to actually get to the doctor's office. I felt utterly miserable and just wanted to sleep, but we needed to know what was wrong. And it's Sunday so I definitely need to know if I can go back to school or not.

As the day went by, I was coming to the realization (finally, right?) that I probably had the flu. Even my Mom said that I probably had the flu.

9. Crushing defeat and acceptance when you're told you have the flu.

Okay, that moment when your doc comes back in after waiting twenty minutes for the test results and says, "It's the flu." Oh, how I felt the irony and the numb acceptance that I'm about to miss a whole week of school and feel like death the entire time. I just looked at my Mom and said, "Don't you dare say anything about me not getting the vaccine." She only held up her hands and laughed.

To all you people who'd rather risk it than take the shot because the shot might give the flu, I'd rather risk it every time then go through this again.

10. And, let's not forget, it's flu season so Tamiflu shortages are expected.

So, my mom and I head up to my university because it's not that far from the doctor's office so I can get books that I might need for the week. It was a good thing we did because our local Walgreens back in my hometown were out of Tamiflu. If I didn't take that then I'd be sick for a lot longer than I would like. Luckily for us, the Walgreens in my college's town had Tamiflu and would make it before they closed for the day (the pharmacy that is). And bless them for being so patient with us because I probably would've died from misery if they hadn't.

11. Literally dying for almost an entire week.

Even with the Tamiflu and the rest of meds my doctor prescribed, I literally thought I'd died for the first few days. Coughing, sniffling, and not wanting to eat anything. Such a terrible, horrible combo that should never exist. Why did it even have to exist in the first place?

12. When you're a "Breathe Through Your Nose" kinda gal and you turn into a mouthbreather.

First off, I hate, hate, hate not being able to breathe through my nose. I cannot sleep when I have to breathe through my mouth and I just don't like hearing anyone breathe through their mouth. I'm sorry to all of you who're mouthbreathers, but I just can't handle it.

13. When you realize that sleeping, Tamiflu, and cough medicine are you best friends.

When you're sick with the flu all you are three things: Tamiflu, sleep, and your cough medicine. Those are the only friends you'll have while you're holed up in bed at the house. That, and if you're me, watching Full House for a whole week or Netflix. There's not much else you'd want to do and if you think eating should be an option—no, it's not. You literally don't feel like eating anything even though your mom is nice enough to take care of you while you're home and fixes you all sorts of meals that you barely eat. Thanks, Mama. You're the best.

14. Ever felt like a hermit while you're sick? Well, you get to experience it while you're sick with the flu.

I have never felt like such a hermit until I was sick all week. The first time I went out of the house (other than Sunday when I went to the doctor) was Saturday when I went to Sonic with my Mom to get some 99 cent corndogs during Happy Hour. And, the sad thing is, I did not once feel caged during the week I was sick either.

15. Then, that blissful moment when you not only can breathe through your nose again but there's still a world outside of the house.

Ah, when I could finally breathe through my nose, I had never wanted to jump around and cry from joy so much until then. It's amazing what a week without breathing your nose can do to a person. Also, the first time I stepped out of the house, I literally felt like a prisoner of war who was finally set free and stepped out into the sunlight for the first time in probably months to years. Never been so happy to see the sky and be blinded by the sun in my life.