15 Reasons Why Oakhurst, CA Is The Best Hometown

It's always good to come back home.

441

There's a sense of small town community around the Oakhurst area, including Coarsegold, Ahwahnee, Bass Lake, North Fork, Fish Camp, etc.

What is it about this area that gives you a sense of belonging? Here's a list of some things that will make you think, "Yes! I AM from that mountain area!"

1. You always see at least three people you know in the grocery store.

They're either people you went to school with or go to church with and they're either working or shopping for themselves.

2. There's usually someone stopped outside the door of the grocery store taking a picture of the sunset and sometimes you are "that person".

And then you get that friend who photobombs your shot so you put it in an article to embarrass her...

3. Raley's has the best deli sandwiches and there is no arguing with that.

They'll just keep piling and piling good stuff on that bread. Mmmm get it.

SEE ALSO:27 Things You've Said If You're The Mom Friend

4. The Yosemite Jazz Band that plays on the patio at Pizza Factory during the summer.

It's quite a hit with the locals as well as the Yosemite tourists! They take requests and play them to the best of their ability. Performing at fairs and festivals, these guys (and gals?) take their music very seriously. The man in the bottom picture was the Assistant Director of band when I was in high school!

5. The local coffee shop is a teen favorite.

Cool Bean, anyone? This spot is a great place to be known as a "regular", as the employees are friendly and the atmosphere is very welcoming and comfortable. Not to mention the great wifi!

6. Knowing where to get the best breakfast burrito of your life.

Pete's has a mixture of good food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The burritos definitely are the best for morning, but I highly suggest the chicken fritters and zucchini fries for any other time.

7. Friday night football and basketball games are a big deal.

Even if the teams aren't the best, at least sitting in the stands with the students, parents and other members from the community is something that you do not want to miss. Not to mention the awesome band ;)

8. Having a membership to the movie theater is something that will give you many friends.

If you're from the area, you'll know that the theatre closed down but was saved by memberships through Movie Heroes. The pass is $19.99/month and the member gets into movies for free and guests for discounted prices. If you don't have a pass, the theater is usually an insane amount of money to see just one movie.

9. It's not a big deal to go to Yosemite for the day.

It's actually uncommon to not go to Yosemite every few months.

10. Bass Lake is also a local's favorite.

It's worth just taking a drive around or walking the dam for a few minutes.

SEE ALSO:8 Tiny Lies Every Young Woman Has Told Their Best Friend

11. The Coarsegold Pedler's Fair is a hit every Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend.

That's when you can indulge on shaved ice and look through all the junk that the peddlers put out on tons of tables!

12. Getting out of the hills is nice, especially when it's to the zoo!

I make sure to get an elephant selfie every time. Don't mind my crazy eyes......

13. On that note, trips to a bigger city are few and far between, although they do get to be more often when you get older.

And sometimes you make a trip just to walk around River Park and take a picture next to the Christmas tree!!

14. Indulging in the hikes that aren't too far away from home.

Lewis Creek is definitely a favorite, mostly because it's got variety as well as not being too tough for those with young kids or physical disabilities but still want to get OUTSIDE.

15. Last, but not least, everybody comes together in a crisis.

A couple of summers ago, there was a fire that went through town and burnt one house all the way to the ground, as well as destroying some other buildings and things in its path. The community had a benefit concert for the people who were effected by the fire.

That is just one example of the many awesome things that take place in this mountain area. Here's to you, Oakhurst and the surrounding area.