15 Reasons To Love Yourself

15 Reasons To Love Yourself

5516
15 Reasons To Love Yourself
inalukas.com

Love. Just that one word can cause an array of thoughts and mixed feelings. I am willing to bet that most people thought of their significant other, Valentine’s Day, hearts, or some cheesy (but oh so good) song. But, for some reason, most people don’t think of “self–love” when hearing the word “love.” Why is that? Isn’t “self–love” the most important type of love? It should be important for people to love and accept themselves for who they are.

Loving yourself can be extremely difficult, especially as an adolescent or young adult. Social media, advertising and societal expectations are three main causes for both men and women to struggle with self–love. Instead of constantly shaming and judging others in comparison to celebrities or models (who are all airbrushed in their pictures and have a team of professionals to make them look flawless), we should celebrate the way we are. We should celebrate the fact that we do not all look the same, and we should love our flaws because they make us who we are. Here are 15 reasons why you should love yourself:

1. You are unique.

You are the only “you” out there! Only you have lived your life; no one else has, so nobody else except you has the right to judge you. Therefore, you are 100 percent unique in every way that you are. Embrace your uniqueness, and love thy quirks!

2. You are not perfect, and that's okay.

I will let you in on a secret: you are not perfect. But guess what? No one else is perfect either (no, not even Beyoncé). Everyone has flaws and that is okay! You should not expect yourself to be perfect 24/7 because frankly, it simply is not possible. (Trust me; I have tried.)

3. You are strong.

You have gone through so many hardships in your life. Look how far you have come! You have hit rock bottom and you did not give up. Isn’t that a good reason to love yourself?

4. You are talented.

Look at all of the things you have accomplished! Maybe you’re an athlete or super smart or have a great fashion sense or anything else; that requires you to be talented! Even if you think you do not have a talent, look closer. Maybe you have the ability to give good advice or you’re always helping out others! Talents do not always have to correlate to a trophy or competition.

5. Your body is beautiful.

Your body shape is as unique as your personality. Every little curve, bump, bend, everything is unique and is not perfectly symmetrical with anyone else out there. Love the way your skin looks with different colors and the way your body looks in different clothes. Be confident!

6. Your emotions and vulnerability

Yes, even your emotions and vulnerability is a reason to love yourself. What better reason to love yourself than knowing you are human and are alive?

7. Your quirky habits

This can include the way you organize your desk, the way you like having the toilet paper face, or the position you sleep in. Embrace the little quirks you have and celebrate them. They are the reason why you are so unique! They make you adorable and lovable.

8. Your ability to show love

You should love the way you give your all to what you love whether it be volunteering or your career or your hobby. Love that you invest yourself and the way you do it. Love the way you show your friends you care or the way you show your family members you love them.

9. You are always there for you.

Let’s be honest here, at the end of the day you are your number one fan. You are the one getting yourself up every morning, going to class or work, and getting stuff done. You are doing all of that because of your will to succeed at what you are doing or to provide a better future for yourself.

10. Your guilty pleasures

Once again, this just makes you the unique person that you are! Whether your guilty pleasure involves jamming out to Fergie while working out or dancing in your socks in the kitchen to jazz, this makes you the person that you are today.

11. Your perspective

We all see the world in different ways. Marvel in the way you view nature, the sun, the moon, music, etc. Everything is up to your interpretation, love how close and true it is to you.

12. Your mannerisms

What else is more unique than the way you talk with your hands or how you dance while driving to the radio? No one else has these same exact mannerisms as you. Everything you do, even the smallest things, all contribute to who you are and that should make you truly love yourself.

13. Your confidence

You have confidence in a variety of ways! You have confidence when you are wearing those new shoes or that new outfit or trying out a cooking class. The way you put yourself out there and stretch your limits is truly amazing and you should love that you put yourself out there, despite whether you succeed or not.

14. Your fearlessness

Remember that time you tried a new thing and it did not quite work out the way you wanted to, but you kept trying? You should love yourself because of this! You are fearless to keep going even if you have fallen down or failed. Love yourself because you fall down seven times, but stand up eight.

15. By loving yourself first, others can love you even more.

This one took me a while to understand, but it is true. When you start to love yourself, all of the other listed qualities will strengthen and people will notice! Once you start to love yourself, it does not stop. Once you love yourself, others will start to realize all of the amazing qualities about you (even more than they already do because you are fabulous), and that will allow them to love you more. If you love yourself, you can let others in, instead of building up walls and keeping people out.

I know self love is a hard concept to grasp, and it is even harder to maintain throughout life. But, as long as you remember these 15 reasons, you will find that loving yourself does not have to be that hard or impossible.