15 Reasons Penn Staters Are Excited To Go Back To School

In less than one month we're back in Happy Valley.

47
Antonella Crescimbeni

With Arts Fest in the books and July coming to a close, there is less than a month left of summer and only a matter of weeks until move-in day. For some, this means saying goodbyes to the beach and friends from home, but luckily, for Penn State students, the fun is just beginning. As we wrap up our time off and start making our way back to Happy Valley, there is certainly no shortage of things to look forward to.

Sure, no one really enjoys hiking up Shortlidge for an 8 a.m. or saying up until crazy hours of the night to study for an exam, but there are plenty of great parts of going back to school:

1. Sylly Week

Ahhh... Sylly Week. The first week of classes is basically one big party with minimal responsibilities before reality sets in and you realize that you're drowning in homework and it's only week two.

2. Free Things... Everywhere

While the entire school year is loaded with opportunities for hungry college students to get free food and giveaways, the first week of classes is especially filled with free food, shirts, notebooks, workout classes, you name it. It is truly a glorious time.

3. Football Games

Nothing beats spending your Saturday in Beaver Stadium with 107,000 of your closest friends. Get ready for many chicken baskets and Penn State wins.

4. Daylongs And Tailgates

Penn Staters knows how to take advantage of the nice weather while making sure their social lives are booming.

5. OrderUp is back!

The summer makes you forget how incredibly convenient it is to have delicious food delivered to you wherever you are on campus.

6. Pokey Stix Within Walking Distance

Oh, Gumby's... how I've missed you.

7. New clubs And Orgs

With the massive involvement fair on the HUB Lawn comes a ton of opportunities to join different groups... this also means being added to every LISTSERV known to man.

8. Creamery ice cream

Berkey Creamery never gets old. Especially early in the year before it gets too cold, the walk to get a heaping scoop of ice cream is totally worth it.

9. Mixing It Up With The Willard Preacher

Gary, you love him or you hate him. Regardless, he does have some really strong arguments and watching him debate is quite the sight.

10. Spending All Your Hard-Earned Money Downtown

You worked all summer to save up money for school, only to realize that Metro has the cutest outfits and that you just NEED that new Happy Valley shirt from McLanahan's... then you get hungry and decide to go to The Corner Room and leave with a much lighter wallet.

11. THON fundraising begins

This year is the last year of canning, but a new year means new chances to get involved with committees and special interest orgs FTK.

12. Wearing As Much PSU Gear As You Wish Without Being Judged

You can't wait to just throw on PSU gear for class all the time without hesitation. Does navy match black? Penn State gear matches everything.

13. Halloweekend

It may not be until October, but a week's worth of festivities and excuses to wear anything and call it a "costume" never gets old.

14. Hearing The Old Main Bells Ring

Nothing says "welcome back" like hearing those bells ring across campus. They also can remind you that it's far too early to be awake and functioning as you walk to your 8 a.m. But, hey, at least they wake you up.

15. Reuniting With Friends In The Happiest Of Valleys

In less than one month we'll start another year filled with incredible times and great memories.