15 Pointers For Incoming College Freshmen

Wise Words Of Advice From A College Sophomore.

15
Medaille College

Congrats! You’ve just ended a chapter in your life, and are about to start another one! College is a great big step for everyone. A way to gain independence, and begin an educational path towards a future career. So here are some pointers for every college freshmen:

1. Get Involved on Campus

Whether you’re a Student Ambassador, on the soccer team, or in Student Government, getting involved is a great way to add activities to your resume and to meet people.

2. Go To Class

This is one of the most important pieces of advice I have for you. You're paying thousands of dollars for your tuition, and each class you go to is worth at least $95. If you miss a class you could miss important information for a test, or an important lecture. Some professors actually take points off your grade. I’ve seen friends who’ve had 9+ absences and had a A to B grade in a class and went down to a C or even a D. It’s one thing if you’re sick or have a family emergency, but make sure you let your professor know!!

3. First Impressions Are Everything

On the first day of classes, you want your professor to have a good first impression of you. So dress up a bit, look nice. Don’t come in wearing pajamas, and sweatpants, don’t come into classes looking sloppy.

4. Show Up To Class On Time

Showing up to class late is just as bad as not showing up, even if it’s just 5 minutes. If your class starts at 8:00, show up 5-15 minutes early. If you have do happen to show up late to class, explain to your professor at the end of the class why you were late.

5. Be Prepared

The first and last month of the semester are always the most challenging. The first month is for getting used to the class load. The last month I would say is the most hectic because you have final exams, projects, and papers. Also bring everything that is necessary for class, you don’t want to show up to a class unprepared. You never know if a professor will take points off.

6. Get Help When You Need It

Take advantage of your professors, advisors, academic support centers. They’re all there to help you when you need it. Don’t be embarrassed when it comes to getting help, TRUST ME!

7. Have Fun, But Not Too Much Fun

It’s okay to have a bit of fun here and there but be careful. You don’t need drugs and alcohol to have fun (Trust me, I spent my whole freshman year sober, and I still had fun). I’ve heard too many stories about people who go over the limit with drugs and alcohol, and ended up sick or even dead.

8. Stay Organized

Staying organized is very important. Keep a planner to keep track of assignment. For me, I have an app (iStudiez Pro, for Apple and Android, $5.99) that I use to help keep me organized.

9. Be Yourself

Don’t lie about who you are and don’t be afraid to embrace who you are!

10. Back up your files

Whatever you do, back up your files. I emailed myself a copy of my 15-page paper for my Advanced College Writing class, and the file was corrupted and wouldn’t open. Thank God my professor moved the due date of the paper. Make sure you carry a flash drive on you AT ALL TIMES or use Dropbox or Google Drive.

11. Challenge Yourself

Challenge yourself, DO NOT under any circumstances take the easy way out. If you want to take 6 classes instead of 4 DO IT! If you’re taking a class that is kicking your butt right now, and you feel like dropping/withdrawing it, DON’T.

Last year in the fall, I had to take Intermediate Algebra (Math has always been weakest subject ever), the professor I had for that class made it very difficult for me. We couldn’t even use calculators on our tests, quizzes, midterm, or final, and he rushed through the lessons without reviewing. While all my friends dropped the class, I decided to stay with it. Did the class drive me insane? Yes, yes it did. But did I give up? Nope. And I ended up passing the class even though it was a D+, I was happy with that D.

12. Stay Out Of Drama

With College comes drama. I’m not going to tell you to stop hanging out with a certain group of people because they always attract drama. If you’re involved in any try your best to resolve it. If you’re not involved in it STAY OUT OF IT. Don’t be the instigator; don’t get the two conflicting parties hyped up.

13. Do Your Homework

If your professor assigns you homework, DO IT!! If you don’t then that could come out of your grade. You never know if your homework could end up on a test or a quiz.

14. Participate In Class

Don’t just be that quiet kid that sits in the back of the room. Participate! Don’t be afraid to raise your hand and answer a few questions here and there.

15. Don’t Be Shy, Say Hi

Your first year of college is a great way to meet new people, start fresh! Don’t be that kid who isn’t involved in anything whatsoever, and just goes to class and leaves. Introduce yourself, say hi to your classmates!

As long as you follow this advice, your first year of college will be a good first year!