15 Movies That Will Never Get Old

15 Movies That Will Never Get Old

The cinema has the power to open the door to a whole new reality.

1010
15 Movies That Will Never Get Old
Bob Phelan

Everyone has their guilty pleasure movie that they can watch a hundred times over, whether it ranks a Disney cartoon or a crime fighting drama, and have it never get old. Here are 15 of my guilty pleasure movies that will never get old.

1. The Sandlot (1993)

Probably one of the most quoted movies of all time, The Sandlot will forever be a summer feel-good movie revolving around baseball. Whether it is baseball season, the Fourth of July or you just want to watch kids figure themselves a way out of a pickle, The Sandlot is for you. If you haven’t seen it, well, you’re killing me smalls.

2. Good Will Hunting (1997)

Feeling like a little bit of drama? Good Will Hunting has all the drama that you need. A story about a mathematical genius who finds himself in the lowest places where eventually he gets help from a psychiatrist in hopes to change his life direction. I mean, it’s Matt Damon and Robin Williams. Where can you go wrong?

3. Caddy Shack (1980)

A classic comedy, also known for its popular quotes, that will lift spirits instantaneously. If a young charming Chevy Chase can’t pull you in with his godlike golfing skills, Bill Murray’s dopey character will have you laughing at his obnoxious monologues.

4. Animal House (1978)

Probably the most stereotypical movie surrounding college fraternities ever, Animal House is a classic comedy where the antagonist is the miserable dean trying to get the entire Delta Tau Chi Fraternity kicked off campus and expelled from Faber College. The timeless characters give color to the screen and, might as well add, they throw a killer Toga Party.

5. Titanic (1997)

A tearjerker drama, Titanic always gets me through the day when I need a little bit of time to wallow. Based on the horrible event of the sinking of the Titanic in 1912, the tearjerker revolves around the romance between Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Rose (Kate Winslet) while heading to America. I won’t spoil it for those crazy enough not to have seen it, but I will say, there was room for two on that door, Rose!

6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001)

There were many times when I have wished that magic was real and thanks to J.K. Rowling, we were given a Wizarding World that clashes with the reality of daily life. Whether you’re a fan of Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw or Syltherin, the fantasy drama Harry Potter is the classic battle between good and evil. For those entranced by the magic of the Wizarding World, there are seven more movies that follow to be watched.

7. Twilight (2008)

A romantic fantasy drama, Twilight had every teen girl wrapped around its cold vampire finger. The story parallel to Romeo and Juliet unraveled the romance between human, Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), and dreamy vampire, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). It’s a perfect movie for a rainy day or for when you feel like escaping our dreary world. Like many other books made into movies, Twilight has four movies, allowing them to sink their teeth deeper into the minds of their fan base.

8. The Hunger Games (2012)

Probably glorifying my biggest fangirl moment, The Hunger Games gained huge popularity across the globe. An action-packed Sci-Fi movie, its audience gets a glimpse into the future of politics within the 12 districts of Panem. The film is about a teenager, Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence), volunteering to fight to the death against other teenagers for a yearly televised competition promoted by the Capitol to save her 12-year-old sister. The twisted story opens our eyes to the cruelty of what our world could become.

9. Star Wars

One of the longest on-going series in movie history, the Star Wars Franchise is worth the time to watch. The movie, full of action, is not your basic good versus evil storyline. There are heroes, villains, heroes that turn into villains, villains that turn into heroes and then there is Yoda. May the force be with you.

10. The Lion King (1994)

Hakuna Matata! It means “no worries” and while watching TheLion King, it feels just like that. A way to escape reality and enjoy happiness, love and adventure through animation and song. I may be biased, but TheLion King must be one of the most popular and best Disney animated films that appeals to all ages.

11. Forrest Gump (1994)

If you aren’t a fan of Forrest Gump, are you really human? Everyone knows at least one quote from this classic film. The comedy-drama is a frame story in which the main character, Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks) sits waiting for his bus and during the wait, decides to tell his life story to various strangers that come and go at the bus stop. The story is truly diverse and heartwarming. However, the film is a little long, so it is a good film for when you have a few hours to spare and feel like getting a little emotional.

12. Grease (1978)

Feeling like singing along to one of the greatest comedy musicals? Grease is full of energy and love. Not only do we get to see a love story unravel between Sandy Olsson (Olivia Newton-John) and Danny Zuko (John Travolta), we get to watch John Travolta bust a move to Greased Lightning. Catchy songs, a love story and lots of energy are all the things that we get while watching Grease.

13. It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)

I’m not one for loving black and white movies, but It’s a Wonderful Life exceeds expectations. The heartfelt drama pulls its audience into a story about a man who devotes his life to everyone but himself and the outcome pushes George Bailey (James Stewart) to the brink. Usually watched around the holiday season, It’s a Wonderful Life brings families closer and educates its audience on the importance of family.

14. Singin’ in the Rain (1952)

Another romance musical, Singin’ in the Rain is full of memorable songs, dance choreography and talented actors, Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O’Connor. Every time I walk outside when it is raining, all I think about is the famous number in which the film is named after. It is only appropriate to enjoy this powerful film after the recent death of the beautiful and talented Debbie Reynolds.

15. The Notebook (2004)

Finally, the cliché movie, The Notebook. Noah (Ryan Gosling) and Allie (Rachel McAdams) are everything that I wish my relationships will strive to be. To have true love like these two would be a blessing. The crazy story in which these two characters fight to overcome any obstacle that gets in their way is worth the obsession. It is no wonder The Notebook is adored by many and will continue to warm hearts in the future.