15 with awesome soundtracks

15 Movies With Awesome Soundtracks

Big orchestras and large soundscapes are probably what come to mind when you hear the word soundtrack but that select list of songs have more impact on the movie than you actually think.

246
15 Movies With Awesome Soundtracks

When asked what makes a great movie, most people would answer that it's the storyline, visuals, or directing. Which are all of significant importance but few will mention the soundtrack. Movie soundtracks add as much if not more to the theatrical experience as the script and acting. So why is it always so far down the list? Well probably because you can't see it like you see the magical world unfolding in front of you in movies like Avatar.

However if you were to recall some of your favorite movies, more often than not, they will likely be paired with a killer soundtrack. In some instances you'll find the soundtrack makes the movie! Notable Star Wars Director George Lucas once said that sound makes up about fifty percent of the movie. And Danny Boyle, famous for Slumdog Millionaire and trainspotting among others, stated that sound accounts for as much as seventy to eighty percent of the film experience.

Which means that at the very least, a soundtrack can make or break a movie. Take a look at these fifteen movies that have sound working to their absolute advantage and next time you watch a film, tune into the sound, and imagine what the scene would be like without it.

15. Gone in 60 seconds

Regardless of your feelings towards Nicolas Cage, Gone in 60 seconds is an exciting feature. It's also not too bad seeing Angelina Jolie in blonde locks either. A former car thief is forced out of retirement to steal 50 cars in one night. Sounds clichƩ well that's because it is. It's a remake of a 1974 film of the same name, but with some significant differences. Notably cage's interesting style and demeanor that persists throughout the film. Nonetheless with artists like DMX, Ice Cube and Redman it's the jump off in that album. Although the movie may be more known for Cage's face after saying "Lowrider Donny".

14. Boogie Nights

Not shy in content or characters, Boogie Nights is a reminder that the 70s were lush and that you never know what's going to make you a star. Paul Thomas Anderson's full featured imagination of Dirk Diggler is flashy and extravagant. It's the story of a nightclub dishwasher turned adult film star, so obviously anything can happen and it pretty much does. The movie is fast paced and exciting the soundtrack smooth and cool, disco is king and there's cocaine! This raw and honest chronicle of the golden age of porn is hilariously entertaining at times but the fantasy gets cut short when reality comes slamming down. It's probably the only film where the soundtrack makes you more uncomfortable than the film itself. Try riding around tuned to The Shakaras - Jungle Fever with the windows down. I dare you.

13. Juno

Sometimes when boys and girls fall in love, age inappropriate things happen. At least that's what happens in Juno where a pregnant teenage couple give their baby up for adoption...spoils.... It's obvious they don't know much except that they can't raise a baby. That juvenile attitude translates into the soundtrack as well, which is full of indie and folk tracks. Kimya Dawson's songs are fueled with honest and genuine lyrics that capture the innocence of the characters. That same tone and attitude comes through with Cat Power and the Velvet Underground making it feel incredibly personal and relatable. In fact, the movie got some heat with claims that it glamorizes teen pregnancy, and it may or may not have influenced the 16 and Pregnant series released just a few years later. Nonetheless it's an amazing comedy intrenching the idea that mistakes happen but life goes on.

12. Guardians of the Galaxy

Awesome Mix Vol.1 that's it. Right there in the title. It's awesome, Next! It's interesting when a film's soundtrack serves as a pivotal plot point. In Guardians of the Galaxy Peter Quill is abducted from earth after the passing of his mother...again, spoils.... Years later he works as a space scavenger with one prized possession. A mixtape from his mom, his only connection to the world he left behind. The tape is a thorough collection of rock, pop and Motown classics. And Peter goes through a significant amount of trouble to get get it back. Also seeing the sound of the past come to life in the Marvel universe is a slightly unconventional but fantastic experience.

11. Snatch

A dark comedy, a heist film and featuring Pitt's best performance hands down...uh, yes! Come at me... Snatch doesn't disappoint and will probably be a film you'll want to keep in your favorites. Even if it's only to try and make sense of that pikey accent, because subtitles are for the weak. Guy Ritchie showcases his stellar writing and directing chops with this film. Also the title track, Diamonds by Klint is a perfectly groovy tune that fits the mood for anytime you're up for robbing a bank. The movie is flush with comedic moments especially if your a fan of dags. There are many reasons to like this film, there's an eccentric mix of characters offering brilliant performances. And the jumps in storyline are clever and embrace the overall style of the film.

10. Empire Records

It would be a crime for a movie set in a record shop to feature a bad soundtrack, but although it feels like a given it's the relevant themes in Empire Records that sets it apart. The whole movie is reminiscent of a punk rock anthem in picture. From the built up angst to the futileā€¦ or not so futile...fight against the man. Empire has everything your little rock and roll heart could ask for. While the official soundtrack is full of gems, with bands from AC/DC to the Martinis, it's hard to forget the songs that were left off. The movie has nearly three dozen additional tunes sprinkled over its 126 minute runtime. It's a great piece of nostalgia which reminds us of the simplicity of the nineties and to love punk rock.

9. Baby Driver

The best thing about the Baby Driver soundtrack is that you'll remember the exact scene it was in. That's not by chance. The films writer-director Edgar Wright essentially built the scenes around the music. His goal was to create a heist film with music synchronized to the action and Baby Driver is that and much more. Baby (Ansel Elgort) serves as the gateway driver for a crew of robbers lead by Doc (Kevin Spacey). He suffers from a hearing disorder that he uses music to cope with. He makes playlists for the heists with beats that help him drive Baby drive. It's unique how the sound interacts with the movie, sometimes it's a subtle nod and other times it's a shoot-out. Two soundtracks were released for this film. The original score from the movie and a volume 2 released a year later with remixes and sound effects from the film.

8. Where the Wild Things Are

Karen O front woman of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is the primary contributor to the film's soundtrack. Karen had her hands in every song on that album giving the film a welcomed indie rock tone. Where the Wild Things Are is a very moody movie that feels too downcast for its young audience. If the movie failed to connect with the kids it would explain the poor showing at the box office, grossing $100.1 million vs it's $ 100 million budget. It's a shame because it's an incredible movie filled with lessons for a lifetime. It's an adaptation of the popular 1963 picture book of the same name. That may explain why the adult crowd was more receptive.

7. Whiplash

Ever felt you had what it takes to be a professional musician, watched Whiplash, and come to the crushing conclusion that, you don't. Maybe you just weren't pushed hard enough. Terence (J.K Simmons), gives an erratic and explosive performance that's accentuated by the mostly original jazz soundtrack. Andrew (Miles Teller) is an ambitious drummer working to make a name for himself at a prestigious conservatory. Driven by his passion he makes some serious sacrifices in order to please his conductor Terence. The movie's tracks are sharp and haphazard at times, helping drive out the power struggle between an overconfident pupil and a professor who's so strict it's borderline abusive. Miles, who is a real life drummer practice nearly five hours a day for several months to convincingly play the role and that determination is well expressed in the film.

6. Interstellar

Every now and then there's news of a planet with similar qualities to earth that could support human life. Unfortunately before you can even fantasize about packing your moon booths, you learn that it's a thousand light years away and frankly the science just isn't there yet. So for the time being we are stuck in old Terra. But Interstellar is set in a distant future, depicting what might happen to Earth when resources are drained. McConaughey's character Joseph Cooper goes on a trip shopping for a new home planet and it comes at a hefty price. While watching you'll realize how much we depend on our resources and how drastically life can change when economic staples are scarce. Christopher Nolan is no stranger to science fiction being responsible for Inception and The Prestige and that shows in Interstellar. The cinematography alone is amazing but paired with Hans Zimmer's score it resonates even more.

5. Up

Disney's good at manipulating our feelings, I mean really good, and the bulk of their movies account for that. In the first five minutes of Up, you will go through a series of emotions and that's before you meet Dug. The opening sequence tells the touching story of a couple set in a modest house, the score works right alongside leading you through the peaks and valleys of their relationship. Up's soundtrack is as inventive and aspirational as the movie itself. It's a grand display of melodies and old-fashioned tunes that lift the storyline at key scenes. Although it's a children's film centered around balloons, Up presents some traumatic themes to its audience. As Disney hesitates to shy away from strong themes especially when they benefit characterization.

4. Purple Rain

On a sad day in 2016 we lost "A beacon in mascara who made it okay to stand up and stand out"- Marc Bernardin commenting on Prince's passing. On that day like the rest of the world, as soon as I found a screen I put on Purple Rain and cried my eyes out. Musical narratives based on artists aren't always successful, so Purple Rain set itself apart by grossing $80 million at the box office worldwide. And with Prince at the helm it's easy to understand why, he was a brilliant artist and talented performer. His portrayal of Kid is raw and electric and the music shares those characteristics. The film and the album of the same name were received with unprecedented acclaim, which makes it ridiculous to believe that it almost didn't make it to theaters.

3. Slumdog Millionaire

You might have been told once or twice that everything happens for a reason. Also, you might have dismissed it as what people say when they're in a slump. However it may just be true. It's possible that all you experiences, achievements, and failures. They will culminate into one edifying moment where you'll get all the answers to your life's questions. Then directly to jail. At least that's what happens in Slumdog Millionaire, and the answers are for a gameshow. The British drama is set in India and shares characteristics of Hindi cinema. Hindi Cinema is the largest film industry in the world and some of their films are high energy musicals, with quick, rhythmic and upfront music. Likewise the soundtrack is fast paced and dynamic, incorporating musical elements of both Hindi and western cultures.

2. Reservoir Dogs

The best thing about the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack is that it includes Steven Wright's dialogue as announcer K-Billy Super Sounds of the 70s. He introduced several of the tracks tied to prominent scenes in the film. Including Little Green Bag in the opening title, and the scene with Mr. Blonde (Michael Madsen) playing Stuck in the Middle With You by Joe Egan & Gerry Rafferty. The film exhibits the aftermath of an unsuccessful car heist. In true Tarantino fashion he wins us over with his use of dialogue. The cast is solid with Chris Penn, Steve Buscemi and Tim Roth who deliver performances you may never forget. It's also brimming with enough blood and gore that you'll stay glued to the screen.

1. Moonlight

Moonlight is a film made by it's humble dialogue and intimate performances. The film chronicles the life of Chiron a reticent child who grows into a guarded man. Moonlight is the first of its kind to explore the hardships faced by LGBT persons in certain communities; on that large of a platform, and it does so with vivid imagery. The delicate music in the original score conveys the pain and vulnerability felt by the characters and it's chopped and screwed renditions are a nod to southern hip hop culture. It's based on an unpublished play called In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue by Tarell Alvin McCraney. He and Barry Jenkins together worked on the film to tell a story with anchors from both their lives. The result is a triumph of a film that turns the stereotypical coming of age narrative on its head.