15 Lessons From MTV's Teen Wolf

15 Lessons From MTV's Teen Wolf

Here are only a few of the many lessons MTV's Teen Wolf has taught me! [SPOILERS]

1290
15 Lessons From MTV's Teen Wolf
Teen Wolf Wikia

Lessons I Learned from MTV’s Teen Wolf

In 2011, MTV premiered a show called Teen Wolf which was veeeeery loosely based on the 80s Comedy with the same name. Being a fan of the film, I’d read that the show would actually be very different, so naturally, I was skeptical at first. But by the second episode, I was already hooked!

Now while MTV has gathered a rather nasty rep for not living up to its name and replacing music videos with reality TV shows, Teen Wolf is a hidden gem among dating shows and shows about children raising children. Drama, comedy, and even a bit of horror – Teen Wolf has it all. Here are a few of the lessons I’ve learned from the show so far [loads of SPOILERS included].

1. Always stick with your pack: while members of Scott’s (the main character turned werewolf) pack has changed throughout the seasons, the latest season showed us the struggles each member of the pack (human and supernatural alike) had to endure when they were apart. This show teaches us that we are always stronger when we’re together.

2. Never forget a loved one: perhaps one of the things Teen Wolf fans love the most is how even [SPOILER] even after her death, Allison (master archer and Scott’s first love) is still constantly being brought up in later episodes as her friends and family continue to struggle with her death. This really teaches us that love has no boundaries and that while Allison may be gone, she’s definitely not forgotten.

3. Enemies can become friends…or at least allies for the time being: Good guys or bad guys, there’s always an unexpected friendship or team up on the show. Whether it’s Chris Argent (notorious werewolf hunter and Allison's dad) teaming up with Scott, or Peter teaming up with Kate (Allison’s not-so-dead-anymore aunt), the show will always bring people together – even if it’s for nefarious reasons. Although Lydia and Meredith teaming up even though Meredith was [SPOILERS] the Benefactor and tried to get them all killed the previous season is life goals!

4. A true friend will die for you –literally: in what is arguably the best episode the show’s had titled “Motel California,” [you know the drill: SPOILERS] the werewolves find themselves affected by Wolfsbane which makes them all hallucinate horrible things that lead them to, essentially, attempt to kill themselves. While no one was harmed, a heartbreaking scene occurs when Scott douses himself in gasoline and threatens to end his life while holding a flare, and his best friend (and resident babe) Stiles vows to go with him because they’re brothers. All our hearts died a little that day.

5. Even in your worst moments, true friends will remain: in my favorite season, which is 3b, Stiles, who is our lovable sarcastic and goofy BFF, [SPOILERS] is possessed by an ancient Demon and goes a bit coo-coo for Coco Puffs if you know what I mean. He turns into the amazing villain that is “Void Stiles,” but in true Teen Wolf fashion, his friend figure out a way to save him without having to kill him (which would have been a National tragedy fyi!)

6. Beware of wolves in sheep’s clothing (no pun intended!): this last season, a childhood “friend” of Scott’s and Stiles’ resurfaces in town but he seems a bit…off. [SPOILERS] Theo is trying to infiltrate the pack even though he works for the horrible villains known as the Dread Doctors, and his little innocent act actually manages to tear Scott and Stiles apart.

7. Love is love: the amazing and sometimes hated creator of the show Jeff Davis is openly gay and uses his perfectly crafted show to show that love is love. From star-crossed lovers like Scott and Allison to probably everyone’s OTP, who needs to be cannon right now, Momma McCall (aka Scott’s mom) and Sheriff Stilinski (aka Stiles’ dad) to Danny and Ethan (the show’s first main character gay couple), Teen Wolf goes above and beyond prove that love comes in all forms, shapes and sizes. And even though Danny has been M.I.A. and Ethan [SPOILER] died (maybe…I mean you never know with this dang show!), Mason and Corey are definitely heating up.

8. Be your own anchor: wise words from Momma McCall to her heartbroken son. Despite Stiles’ futile attempts at helping Scott to control his own powers, it was Allison who ended up being his focus for self-control. Yet once he loses her, Scott finds himself lost and has to learn how to be his old wolfie self without her. Hence the most quoted and tattooed line in Teen Wolf history emerged giving us all a beautiful mantra to live by.

9. Hard work will get you everywhere: every day since the dawn of Teen Wolf,
someone has been fighting someone else in order to steal their powers – usually Peter, who is a jerk, but somehow we still miss him when he’s not around. Derek stole Peter’s power, Peter came back to steal it back, and everyone and their mother has tried to steal Scott’s power – seriously it’s a never ending cycle. However, unlike Derek, Peter, Deucalion and other Alphas on the show who had to kill to earn their power, Scott emerged as the True Alpha. His great leadership, loyalty and let’s-try-and-save-everyone attitude made him the main cheese, and target, of the wolf world.

10. Mythology is beyond cool: Jeff Davis is brilliant in his writing, but what sets Teen Wolf apart from other shows for me is the use of diverse mythology. Not only do we have the mythical werewolf, but there are also banshees and hellhounds and the Darach – oh my! So much research goes into creating the creatures and villains of the show that you can’t help but actually learn something as you watch!

11. Good will always win: as Teen Wolf fans, we have seen the lowest of the low for the characters. We’ve have seen them defeated, on the brink of death, alone, trapped, tortured, shot at – you know how it is – but they always manage to come back (unfortunately not all of them) and prove that good will always defeat evil – even if it takes a little time.

12. Everyone in Beacon Hills is attractive: this isn’t really a lesson, I just wanted an excuse to show you shirtless hot guys.

13. People can change: the perfect example of this is Malia. So she may have tried to kill all her friends at some point or other, but who hasn’t? She’s learned how to be a bit more…civilized (I mean the girl was a coyote for a long time, guys – cut her some slack!) and her loyalty for her friends is unwavering. Allison was also a pillar of change going from ally to enemy to ally again. The characters in this show are really dynamic, and as viewers, we change along with them. Also they turn into wolves and coyotes and jaguars and stuff so yeah…I’d say people really can change.

14. Family comes first: so many times the parents or adult role models of the show find themselves in life threatening situations, but there’s always a good reason. While originally freaked out by her son’s hairy secret (yes, I went there, and I don’t regret it), Melissa McCall has faced numerous threats for her kid. Melissa is not the only parent to risk her life for her son: Sheriff Stilinski has done so too. However, considering how many times Stiles has come through for his dad, I'd say the scoreboard is pretty even.

15. Never dumb yourself down: in the first season, Lydia struggles with her own intelligence, which she tries to hide from her then boyfriend Jackson. Allison and Stiles always knew how smart she truly was and constantly reminded her that her intelligence was not something to be embarrassed about. Nowadays, Lydia shows off her smarts and her style in order to help the pack figure it all out.

While some might be reluctant to watch yet another show about supernatural creatures, Teen Wolf is not only well-written and has an amazingly talented cast, but it also teaches valuable lessons. Characters continually struggle with themselves but also embrace all the things that make them who they are (even if that includes predicting death and growing claws every full moon). It also has a beautiful focus on family and friendship that teaches us about love, loyalty and sacrifice.