15 Inspirational Book Quotes To Get You Through The Day

"There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for." - J.R.R. Tolkien

471
Mike Lavere

Something that has always amazed me, no matter how old I get or how much life I live, is the power that words have over people. Offhanded compliments from strangers can often have me smiling throughout the rest of the day, but if that same person were to insult me, it would leave me feeling 2-feet tall.

I’ve noticed that this phenomenon lends itself to written works as well. Watching a movie can become an entirely different experience when the script is written well, I’m less inclined to click out of an article I’m reading if I like the way things are worded, and I’m more tempted to finish a book if I can pick out lines and paragraphs that resonate with me.

A lot of the time, those quotes and paragraphs are inspirational, and today, I’d like to share a few of them, just in case you need a pick me up.

1. “There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for”. — J.R.R. Tolkien

2. "When someone is crying, of course, the noble thing to do is to comfort them. But if someone is trying to hide their tears, it may also be noble to pretend you do not notice them." — Lemony Snicket

3. “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.” — Oscar Wilde

4. “Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L.M. Montgomery

5. “We can never give up longing and wishing while we are thoroughly alive. There are certain things we feel to be beautiful and good, and we must hunger after them.” — George Eliot

6. "...[I]f you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it and above all become passionate about it. Lukewarm is no good. Hot is no good either. White hot and passionate is the only thing to be." — Roald Dahl

7. "Beware; for I am fearless. And therefore powerful." — Mary Shelley

8. "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." — Samuel Beckett

9. "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that." — J.K. Rowling

10. "There’s only one real sin, and that is to persuade oneself that the second-best is anything but the second-best." — Doris Lessing

11. “Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserve and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists...it is real...it is possible...it's yours." — Ayn Rand

12. “She decided long ago that life was a long journey. She would be strong, and she would be weak, and both would be okay.” — Tahereh Mafi

13. “It was all very well to be ambitious, but ambition should not kill the nice qualities in you.” — Noel Streatfeild

14. “‘You could rattle the stars,’ she whispered. ‘You could do anything, if only you dared. And deep down, you know it, too. That’s what scares you most.’” ― Sarah J. Maas

15. “So many things are possible just as long as you don’t know they’re impossible.” ― Norton Juster