15 Halloween Costumes For The College Procrastinator

If you're in college, you are automatically a procrastinator.

250

Ahh Halloween, some of the best three nights of the year. College students have turned this innocent holiday into a weekend-long party, and I couldn't be happier about it. What's better than watching legal adults play dress-up and dance around belligerently? Nothing, that's what.

Because colleges typically celebrate Halloween on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, a different costume is somehow necessary each night. Since we've accepted this as the norm, choosing three different costumes is an annual struggle that most typically put off to the very last minute. To help you out, here's a list of some costumes you probably already have in your closet:

1. Lumberjack

With the sudden surge of "lumbersexuality" (look it up), you can't go wrong with this costume. Everyone owns a flannel and jeans. Girls, maybe use makeup to give yourselves a 5 o'clock shadow. Guys, either you've got it or you don't.

Bonus: Substitute the beanie for a trucker hat, and suddenly you're a trucker!

2. Greaser

Tuck a white or black t-shirt into a pair of blue jeans, roll the sleeves up, slick your hair back, and bam: you're Ponyboy Curtis. This might be a bit harder for girls, but if you own black leather pants, it shouldn't be too difficult to pull off the Sandy look.

Bonus: Add a red jacket to become James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause, or put your thumbs out and say "Ayyyy" a lot to become The Fonz.

3. Tin Man

College budgets are tight, but everyone's got tin foil. This could very well end up costing more than a store-bought costume, but it's a great conversation starter, I think. Don't hold me to that.

4. Roman

There is no such thing as a college student who doesn't love an excuse to wear a toga. It's as simple as that, so grab your bed sheets, drape them over yourself, and smash the nearest acoustic guitar to pieces.

5. Hawaiian Shirt

The Hawaiian shirt is a beautiful thing. The possibilities are endless. For instance, grab a couple friends, give one sunglasses and pretend he's dead: Weekend at Bernie's. Or you could go the more traditional route and be a tourist, which is a great excuse to carry around a disposable camera.

6. Captain Underpants

It doesn't get simpler than this. Tighty-whities and a bath towel for a cape. This guy was a major part of many childhoods, and if you don't remember him, please reevaluate your life. Although the whole shirtless thing might eliminate girls from wearing this costume, there's nothing wrong with feminizing the classic comic hero to your liking.

7. Athlete

Do you like sports and not care who knows? Of course you do, so why not wear your favorite jersey and play it off as a costume? Better yet, you might have your old high school uniform that you thought you would never wear again. What better way to relive your glory days back before you peaked and graduated?

8. Any Presidential Candidate

Put on a blue suit with a red or blue tie and suddenly you're presidential material. Honestly, I'd would most likely vote for you over any of America's present options.

Bonus: Add a baseball cap and you automatically become Donald Trump.

9. Risky Business

Girls have been playing this card for decades now: button-down shirt, underwear (or compression shorts for the more reserved), and a pair of socks. Simplicity is key when it comes to last minute costumes, and it doesn't get more simple than that. Except for Captain Underpants. He didn't need a shirt. Or socks.

10. Beach Bum

Yearning for summer already? Then throw that bathing suit back on for one last hoorah. A Hawaiian shirt might be a good touch, but for the truly brave, October weather is merely a speed bump when it comes to going outside half-naked.

Bonus: Put some sunscreen on your nose and claim to be a lifeguard.

11. Nerd

Another female favorite. It's not too difficult to tuck a button-down short-sleeve shirt into a pair of pants pulled way too high. The icing on the cake, of course, is a piece of tape wrapped around the bridge of a pair of glasses. Quick and easy.

12. Bandana

Bandanas are the Hawaiian shirts of the head. Depending on how you wear them, you can transform into an infinite amount of people. For instance: Bruce Springsteen (if you're clean shaven), Tommy Chong (if you're scruffy), 2 Pac (if it's backwards), Brett Michael Michaels (if you've got super long hair), Jimi Hendrix (if you've got an afro), the list goes on and on. That's what "infinite" means.

13. Charlie Brown

Remember that yellow shirt that you shoved to the back of your drawer? Take it out, scribble a thick jagged line across the bottom of it, and call yourself Charlie Brown. It's as simple as that.

14. Goth

There's not much to looking goth. Just wear black. Everything black. Your shoes, your socks, your pants, your shirt, everything has to be black. Except for your face, that has to be pale. Don't ask me why, just paint it white.

15. Men in Black

Grab your best friend, your best black suit, and your best shades. Boom, you two are Men in Black, out to defend the earth from alien terrorists. Now here's the kicker:

Bonus: Add a couple black fedoras and you've suddenly gone from Men in Black to brothers in blue.

Halloween can be stressful, but only if you think too hard. So do yourself a favor and stop thinking, just grab something ridiculous out of your closet and get creative. After all, the only person who's going to remember your costume is you.