15 Careers for People with a Gender Studies Degree

Because, yes, my degree is useful to society.

22084
www2.naz.edu

Anyone pursuing or wanting to pursue a degree in Gender Studies has to have heard the same trope when discussing it – “Now, what do you plan on doing with that? Seems like a pretty useless degree to me. Nobody will want to employ you with a degree like that.”

In reality though, there’s a plethora of options for someone with a degree in Gender Studies. This degree allows the student to develop skills such as analysis, critical thinking, research, communication, and problem solving – all of which are invaluable to a potential employer. Employers are constantly seeking employees who can provide insight and sensitivity to issues around diversity, discrimination, and inclusivity.

A Gender Studies degree provides a multicultural lens to critical thinking and reflecting on current and systemic societal issues which are pervasive in our society today, and think critically about solutions to everyday situations.

The skillset a Gender Studies degree provides could truly be applied in any setting and provide a great deal of benefit to the workplace, and graduates with this degree are employed virtually everywhere, from the arts to business, education, health care, media, law, and even sports.

So, for the next time someone tries to say something negative about the degree or even discourages you from earning one – here’s a list of viable careers you can earn with a Gender Studies degree.

1. Law Enforcement

Because of your skills in communication, problem solving, and analysis.

2. Lawyer

As a lawyer, you'll have to be able to think critically and research solutions, which a Gender Studies degree will definitely help you attain.

3. Politics

Multicultural thinking, communication and problem solving are important tools to any politician, and all of these are skills which come with a Gender Studies Degree.

4. Social Services

Someone in social services needs compassion and skills in diversity and cultural communication, and a Gender Studies degree can teach you to use these skills effectively.

5. Libraries/Museums

Research and analysis are important to any librarian or museum worker and are integral parts of the Gender Studies degree.

6. Non-Profits/Advocacy Groups

Similarly to social services, multicultural thinking and cultural communication and understanding are going to be important parts of any work in a nonprofit or an advocacy group.

7. Human Resources

Diversity training, communication, and problem solving will come in handy as a human resources professional, and a Gender Studies degree will give you all you need to know about it.

8. Health Clinics

Health clinics, specifically women's health and sexual resourced clinics (think Planned Parenthood), need someone trained in diversity, communication, problem solving, critical thinking, and multicultural communication -- all prime tools from a Gender Studies degree.

9. Journalist

A journalist can communicate effectively and analyze the issues in front of them, which are all skills which can be gained through a degree in Gender Studies.

10. Psychology

Of course, a psychologist will need further education, but the compassion and understanding that a psychologist needs to practice can all derive from a degree in Gender Studies.

11. Social Work

A social worker sees people of all sorts, and needs the multicultural understanding to carry their job through, and these are all skills which can be gained with a Gender Studies degree.

12. Crisis Center

Many Gender Studies graduates study the benefits of crisis centers in communities, allowing them to go on and perhaps even work at one themselves with their newfound skills in communication, critical thinking, problem solving, and skills in thinking about systemic issues.

13. Business Management

A manager must be organized and be skilled in analysis and critical thinking, as well as issues in diversity -- all of which can be attained with a Gender Studies degree.

14. Public Relations

Someone in public relations needs to be able to communicate effectively and have the skills to know their audience, and a degree in Gender Studies can provide just that.

15. Teaching

And, of course, someone with a Gender Studies degree can teach and pass their knowledge on to future generations.