14 TV Couples That Define Relationship Goals

If you aspire to be like a TV couple, choose one of these.

1345
Story Pick

In a time when television is full of dysfunctional relationships and dating reality shows, it's easy to overlook the fictional couples that are doing relationships right. While it can be boring to watch couples remain in a happy and committed relationship for a period of time spanning for more than a season, a select few couples have managed to remain strong throughout the craziness of the fictional worlds they live in. It's common for millennials to look to media for "squad goals" and "relationship goals" inspiration, but many of the most popular TV couples tend to be problematic. With so many dysfunctional couples gracing the screens of TV all around the world, here are the 14 couples that not only define relationship goals, but exceed all expectations.

1. Eric and Tami Taylor, Friday Night Lights

While most of the characters knew Eric Taylor as the tough but caring coach of the Dillon Panthers, Tami knew him as her supportive and loving husband. While many relationships experienced turmoil throughout the five season run of NBC's Friday Night Lights, Eric and Tami remain the strongest couple. Tami supports him as he dedicates his life to coaching high school football, but when she is offered an incredible job offer across the country, he decides to drop everything and move to Philadelphia to let her pursue her dream job. Eric may have coached a state champion high school football team, but his strongest team member is Tami.

2. Jim and Pam, The Office

From the moment Jim and Pam are introduced in Season 1, it's clear that the two coworkers are destined for each other. Whether they're working together to prank their coworker Dwight or having a heart to heart, Jim and Pam share a strong bond. While many obstacles take place within the first few seasons of the hit NBC show, Jim and Pam finally find their way to each other by the end of Season 3. The rest of the series shows audience members the ups and downs of their relationship, but they continue to be strong throughout everything that goes wrong. Jim and Pam go together like PB&J.

3. Luke and Lorelai, Gilmore Girls

A seemingly platonic relationship between diner owner Luke and coffee addict Lorelai evolves throughout the seven seasons of the The WB turned The CW show Gilmore Girls into a "relationship goals" worthy couple. Luke's seriousness and Lorelai's goofiness perfectly compliment each other as the will-they-or-won't-they dynamic of their relationship continues throughout the series run. While the audience is able to see them both date other people, there's no denying that Luke and Lorelai are meant to be together. While the original series finale gave audience members hope that the two will make it as a couple long past the series end, the Netflix spinoff confirms that these two are end game.

4. Stef and Lena, The Fosters

The Freeform show tells the story of Stef and Lena raising a family of five teenagers. As if raising teenagers isn't hard enough, the two face many personal obstacles as well. No matter what hard time they're going through, they can always count on each other to be there. Stef and Lena manage to support each other's careers, maintain a loving relationship, and raise five teenagers that get themselves into the craziest and illegal situations. These women are not only relationship goals, but are also basically super heroes.

5. Marshall and Lily, How I Met Your Mother

While the CBS show focuses on Ted Mosby's journey to find his wife, the real relationship to admire in the show is between Marshall and Lily. The college sweethearts love and respect each other, but also have no problem telling it like it is. After a brief separation in Season 2, Marshall and Lily reunite and become stronger than ever. Even though they face obstacles such as Lily's credit card debt and Marshall's workaholic tendencies, the two always prioritize each other and show the Ted, as well as the audience, exactly what you should aspire for in a relationship.

6. Monica and Chandler, Friends

Much of the series' ten season run focuses on the unstable relationship between Ross and Rachel, the the relationship viewers should admire is between Monica and Chandler. While Ross and Rachel can never seem to commit for a certain amount of time, Chandler and Monica prove that sometimes leaving the friend zone can work out. The relationship started off as a drunk night together and then turned into a secret romance. When Chandler and Monica finally reveal their relationship to their friends, they prove that they're the strongest relationship within the friend group. Could they BE anymore perfect for each other?

7. Nathan and Haley, One Tree Hill

Nathan and Haley's relationship was anything but expected. She was the shy smart girl labeled "Tutor Girl," while he was essentially a bully and the star of the high school basketball team. After quickly falling in love, the two elope while still in high school. While they face many obstacles and briefly separate during Season 2, the couple remains the strongest relationship throughout the nine season run of The CW show. They compliment each other and make the other a better person. Nathan and Haley prove that some relationships can last always and forever.

8. Cory and Topanga, Boy Meets World

The ABC show is a staple in many millennials childhoods. The coming-of-age story covers many important topics, including growing up, drinking, and even death. As Cory grows up and learns from his mistakes, he can always count on Topanga to be there for him. The couple have essentially been dating for all of their lives and according to the Disney Channel spinoff Girl Meets World, they are still together today. Whether they were dealing with Cory's bad grades or Topanga's parents getting a divorce, these two are always there for each other. Cory and Topanga's relationship is proof that sometimes puppy love can turn into actual love.

9. Blaine and Kurt, Glee

While Blaine and Kurt begin their relationship as just friends, there's no denying that there is something special between them from the moment they meet. They originally meet as members of rival glee clubs on the Fox show, but eventually begin dating. Blaine even transfers to William McKinley High School to be closer to Kurt. They date on and off throughout the six season run and decide to elope during the final season. We get a glimpse of their life together as successful actors and fathers during the series finale. Blaine and Kurt's relationship proves that if you're meant to be with someone, you'll always find your way back to them.

10. Randall and Beth, This Is Us

Many people will argue that the best relationship on NBC's latest hit This Is Us is between Randall's parents, Jack and Rebecca. While Jack and Rebecca clearly love each other, they tend to keep major secrets from each other. Unlike his parents, Randall and Beth maintain an open and honest relationship throughout the first season, no matter how difficult it may be. When Beth learns the Rebecca has previously met Randall's birth father, she does everything she can to persuade Rebecca to tell him the truth. Randall and Beth are not only a great parenting team, they're also best friends that are in love. If that's not the goal, than I don't know what is.

11. April and Andy, Parks and Recreation

April and Andy both begin NBC's Parks and Recreation as outcasts. While she's an unenthusiastic intern for the parks and recreation department, he's the deadbeat boyfriend of Ann. April remains dry and sarcastic throughout the series, while Andy becomes goofier and sillier the more audience members get to know him. The relationship begins as a mutual crush and ultimately becomes one of the strongest relationships on the show. I don't know if it's the two characters comedic geniuses or the natural chemistry between April and Andy, but the oddly perfect couple show that married life isn't necessarily boring.

12. Charlotte and Harry, Sex and the City

On the HBO show about the dating life in Manhattan, not many solid romantic relationships are formed. While many with argue that Carrie Bradshaw and Mr. Big are relationship goals, the real relationship we should all aspire for is between Charlotte and Harry. Charlotte grew up dreaming about finding her prince charming and identifies as a hopeless romantic, but when her first marriage fails miserably, she ends up falling in love with her divorce lawyer. While originally being repulsed by Harry, the two enter into a friends with benefits situation which ultimately leads to them falling in love. The unlikely pair prove that sometimes your prince charming isn't who you expect.

13. Zack and Kelly, Saved by the Bell

The on-again-off-again high school sweethearts prove that timing is everything. What originally began as a one sided crush that Zack has on Kelly eventually became one of the most iconic high school relationships in media. Even when the two aren't in a relationship, they remain friends and continue to be there for each other. After high school they continue to be friends in college and eventually get married in the series finale. The timing wasn't always right for Zack and Kelly, but they never stopped caring for each other.

14. Uncle Jesse and Aunt Becky, Full House

When Jesse and Becky first meet, Becky has no interest in beginning a relationship with Jesse. Once Becky finally gives in and agrees to go on a date with Jesse after his many attempts of asking her out, it's clear that the two are meant for each other. While Jesse tends to live life on the wild side and doesn't always think things out carefully, the practical Becky always talks sense into him. After they get married she moves into the house he shares with his brother-in-law, best friend, and nieces. Jesse and Becky eventually begin their own family with their twins Alex and Nicky. While their relationship isn't always easy, they always find a way to make it work.

With all of the dramatic and taboo relationships currently being depicted on TV, it's nice to sometimes admire the couples that go through difficult times but still manage to maintain a happy and loving relationship. Next time you're looking for some romantic inspiration, or simply want to watch a functional couple on TV, skip the turbulent relationships like Chuck and Blair on Gossip Girl and binge-watch the shows that define exactly what "relationship goals" are.