14 Trails You Need To Hike In Maine

14 Trails You Need To Hike In Maine

Start planning your summer adventures now.

305
14 Trails You Need To Hike In Maine
Press Herald

In Maine? Do you live in there? Just visiting? Passing through? Regardless of how you find yourself, you should take a hike.

Maine is a beautiful place with hidden waterfalls, ocean views, the beautiful smell of pine trees and the sea breeze. Don't forget the locally brewed beer waiting for you at the bottom. Be the first people in the whole country to view the sunrise at Cadillac Mountain, hit Sand Beach after you catch some amazing views from Bubble Rock, get some Gifford's ice cream after you hike Precipice trail.

So get out there, grab your L.L Bean and Patagonia, and don't waste a second of it!

Here are 14 trails you need to add to your summer bucket list:

1. Tumble Down Mountain Loop Trail

Where is it? Weld, ME

How long of a hike are we talking? 5.6 miles

Difficulty level? Moderate

Why it's worth it? You can bring your dog, you're in for some amazing views, plus the pond is so beautiful.

2. Knife Edge (Mt. Katahdin)

So... how brave are you?!

*Some added advice*: "Feel the fear and do it anyway."

Where? Baxter State Park, ME

How long of a hike are we talking? 1 mile across. It takes about 1 to 2 hours to get across Knife Edge. This is the tallest mountain in Maine standing at 5,971 feet.

Difficulty level? Extremely challenging.

Why it's worth it? Knife Edge is for the bad asses. It's for the fearless, and for those who wish to look fear in the face and conquer it. Plus you can always push yourself even more and climb Pamola Peak. You will feel invincible once you make it across. Do it. Do it for yourself.

3. Pleasant Mountain

Where Is it? Near Bridgton/Denmark.

How many miles are we talking? 10.5 miles of trails at your finger tips! Check out http://www.mainetrailfinder.com/trails/trail/pleasant-mountain-trails to pick out your trail.

Difficulty Level? Moderate to advanced.

Why it's worth it: It's southern Maine's tallest mountain (2,006 ft.)

4. Mt. Megunticook & Mt. Battie

Where is it? Camden Hills State Park

How many miles are we talking? 4.6 miles to the summit of both mountain tops.

What's the difficulty level? Moderate

Why it's worth it? Ocean Lookout views.

5. Gulf Hagus

Where is it? Brownville, ME

How many miles are we talking? 6.4 miles

Difficulty level? Moderate

Why it's worth it: Do it for the waterfalls, swim spots, and beautiful views.

6. Bigelow Range via Appalachian Trail

Where is it? Western Maine.

How many miles are we talking? 16.3 miles up and over.

Difficulty level? Challenging.

Why it's worth it: This is a full day of hiking. You get to witness the beauty of the White Mountains, was referred to as the 10th hardest hike in America. Do it for the cliffs and the beautiful view of Flagstaff Lake.

7. Table Rock

Where is it? Grafton Notch State Park (Near Newry, Maine).

How many miles are we talking? 1.9 mile hike.

What's the difficulty level? Easy/Moderate.

Why it's worth it? You can hike up part of the AT, mix it up with the climb up the metal bar steps to get out on this beautiful ledge.

8. Bald Rock Mountain Trail

Where is it? Near Lincolnville, ME.

How many miles are we talking? 3 miles, 826 ft elevation.

What's the difficulty level? Moderate.

Why is it worth it? It's a nice leisurely hike that kicks it up a notch at the end. Amazing views!

9. Precipice Trail

Where is it? Acadia National Park, ME

How many miles are we talking? 2.6 miles for the loop.

Difficulty level? Challenging. It's considered strenuous.

Why it's worth it: It's the most challenging hike in Acadia National Park. Has an exposed 1,000 ft climb.

10. Dorr Mountain

Where is it? Bar Harbor (Acadia of course)

How many miles are we talking? 6 miles

Difficulty level? Advanced

Why it's worth it: Panoramic views of Mount Desert Island, with a mix of valleys and streams.

11. Blueberry Mountain

Where is it? Weld, ME

How many miles are we talking? 2.4 miles one way.

Difficulty level? Moderate-advanced

Why it's worth it: 360 views of Maine's High Peak's Region, and Rattlesnake Pool- a nice refreshing spot with clear mountain water from a small waterfall.

12. Bubble Rock Trail

Where is it? Acadia National Park

How many miles are we talking? 0.7 one way

Difficulty level? Moderate

Why it's worth it: The views of Jordan Pond, Penobscot Mountain, Pemetric Mountain, and oceanic views of Seal Harbor

13. Great Head Trail

Where is it? Acadia National Park

How many miles are we talking? 1.7 miles

Difficulty level? Moderate

Why it's worth it: UNREAL ocean views, go cool off on sand beach after.

14. Ocean Path Trail

Where is it? Acadia National Park

How many miles are we talking? 4.2 miles

Difficulty level? Moderate

Why it's worth it: Do it for the scenic views, Thunder Hole, and Otter Cliffs.