For some undergraduate degrees, internships are a requirement. While not every program requires an internship to finish before graduation, it is still a smart idea to apply for an internship to gain some real-world work experience that adds something official to your resume to.
This is helpful because it makes you stand out even more to future employers or graduate schools that you are applying to post-undergrad-life.
Regardless, the word "internship" evokes some high expectations for the one who is granted the title of "intern." I mean, anything that requires a personal statement, resume, and letters of recommendation from figures who "know your work ethic well" should be worthwhile, right?
Unfortunately, there will be times when you are put into situations that absolutely suck. If you're strong enough to stick it out until the end, then you will probably have had these 14 thoughts at least a few (hundred) times.
1. "Why am I just sitting here for hours?"
I would love to actually do something and be productive, but there are only so many times one can clean out the supply closet and organize the office drawers.
2. "I'm not even getting paid?!?"
Unpaid internships as an undergrad are normal, however, this makes it even harder to come up with a reason to make it until the end of the internship term.
3. "Well it's actually a good thing I'm not being paid because I DON'T DO ANYTHING HERE!"
I ask what needs to be done, I offer my assistance for certain projects, and still... nothing.
4. "If I left, would anyone even know?"
If I'm not being paid to stay here, the office has coverage, and there is absolutely nothing for me to do, then why am I still here?
5. "These are the longest hours of my entire week."
The weekly six hours of my part-time internship this semester are the LONGEST drawn out hours of my week, by far.
6. "Do the other interns get tasks?"
No, no they do not.
7. "That moment when your supervisor, the one person who you actually liked here, gets fired and you don't know why."
I still haven't been told.
8. "Oh yay, a task list today!"
Turns out the task list is to make some Facebook events. Only took me three minutes.
9. "Am I allowed to do homework here?"
Just thinking about all of the things I could actually be doing that would be productive during this time makes my whole body ache.
10. "Do I even put this experience on my resume?"
Because when a future employer asks me what I learned from this experience, I truly do not know what my response will be.
11. "Remember when you wrote an outstanding cover letter and had your professor write a very thorough letter of recommendation to get this internship?"
Definitely the most work I've put into this experience was in APPLYING for the experience.
12. "Oh, the irony of spending my internship hours searching for a new internship next semester."
What's even more ironic is that this search was inspired after I was asked if I would like to stay HERE for the next semester. #HeckNo
13. "Only a few days left! You can do it!"
It's a glorious feeling when you can count on one hand the number of days you have left at your site. SO THANKFUL!
14. "HAPPY LAST DAY!"
You made it!