14 Things Your Kids Should Know By 18

14 Things Your Kids Should Know By 18

14 Things all kids should by the time they're 18

38
14 Things Your Kids Should Know By 18

I wrote this, reflecting on some of the people that I know, in hopes that it will help other young individuals with the information they should have by the time they reach "adulthood" and while they're out there looking for themselves. This can also give them confidence in order to move forward in the event that they didn't know this prior. Perhaps this will allow them to set goals for their future.

1. Driving

The people in the United States have the privilege of learning to drive at 14 years and 8 months. At 16, you have the opportunity to actually get your license. This is something that should not be put off because you not only have the right, but it opens a number of doors and opportunity regardless if you have a vehicle or not.

2. Basic Car Maintenance

You don't have to own a vehicle to have knowledge of them. This includes knowing how to change a tire, why oil is important to a vehicle and how/when to change it, how to put in antifreeze and understand it's purpose. Even how to use different controls inside of the vehicle (Cruise Control is wonderful to master).

3. Basic Tool Knowledge

This is an essential and practical skill. Knowing the difference between a flathead and Phillips-head screwdriver, or even the purpose of the back of a hammer. Not to mention that there are often times that you will have to put together or take something apart, knowing what you need in order to do that is the key.

4. Making Appointments (i.e. Doctor's)

Growing up blows, I whole-heartedly agree with this, but if you're unable to make your own appointments, how do you expect to learn? There will not always be someone there to make appointments for you, and that is a severely harsh truth of living.

5. Resume Building

Although I know that resume building is touched on in High School, 9 times out of 10, you will not utilize a resume the way they show you. A resume should only be 2 pages; 1 page highlighting what you know, where you went to school, previous job experience, extracurriculars, and page 2 is your references (usually 3, but can be more, and often times not offered unless asked by employers). If you want your resume to stand out, there are hundreds of resume builders online.

6. Proper Job Attire

Proper Job Attire will depend on the company/employer you're intending to work for. Most often, it involves professionally casual (underwear is never optional, clothes clean and not wrinkled, slacks/tights/dresses/skirts/button-ups appropriate, no excessive cleavage) clothing. Typically, facial piercings or excessive jewelry is frowned upon (unless otherwise stated). If hired, employers often give out what they find to be acceptable attire in their business.

7. Writing A Check/Setting Up Direct Deposit

Although checks are withering away to nothing, there are rare occasions that require a check to be written, for whatever reason; however, as the technology becomes more and more advanced, being able to set up direct deposit for paychecks or even college refunds, it's beneficial and much needed. Knowing what and how to find your routing number is a definite must.

8. How To Manage/Organize Bills

When you're 15, you have NO idea how bills work (in the unfortunate event that you do... I am truly sorry). Maybe you get a credit card or you need to pay tuition, or you want to rent books for school, pay for car insurance, etc etc. So how do you plan on doing that if you haven't learned to manage your bills? Or at the very least keep them in check? This skill not only assists with early on life stuff but also throughout the entirety of your life.

9.Taxes

Though it is acceptable to not HAVE to do your taxes by the time you're 18, the sentiment for knowing the importance of it, why we do it, when it's due (April 15th) is exceptionally important. Some basic information about it can be found here and here. I've also found it useful to use TurboTaxas they have helpful hints and tips while filling out the appropriate forms.

10. FAFSA

If you're planning on going to college, it's important for families to work through the AWFUL process of FAFSA (I mean this quite literally. It's horrible and long). Being able to actually process the importance of filling it out, and when you can start filling it out (the sooner you do it, the better. It's kind of a first come first serve, but also who's the poorest, and by that, I mean whose parents are the poorest), and being able to complete it in hopefully one sitting. Don't prolong doing this!

11. Basic Sexual Health

By 18, it is your responsibility to know about your body, biologically (regardless if you identify with it). This includes knowing about STD's, how they can be transmitted, and what you can do to prevent them (contraception). About pregnancy, consent, and how to respect a partner if you choose to have one.

12. Basic Cleaning

Basic Cleaning is the ability to keep one's space clean, as well as respecting others' spaces enough to show the same kindness. This can be anywhere from dishes to vacuuming and utilizing a Swiffer (it's literally the best "adult" purchase I've ever made... next to my coffee pot).

13. Laundry

Let's be real here, we all enjoy having someone else doing our laundry. The laundry fairy has always been my favorite, but by the time you're legally an adult (legally in the US that is) you should definitely know how to do it yourself. The fairy won't always be there for you when you're by yourself.

14. Basic Cooking

I get it, someone else cooking for us is literally the best thing in the world. My grandma makes some DAMN good pasta for me if I ask for it, but it doesn't work like that in the real world. Learning how to basic cook is essential to being able to take care of yourself. Basic Cooking could involve eggs, grilled cheese, pasta, or maybe even instant anything.