14 Things To Do If You Want To Avoid Getting Sick

*Coughs while trying to think of a sub-headline*

300
Spongebob.wikia.com

Over the past few weeks, the Norovirus has become an epidemic at my college. The Norovirus is an illness that causes symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea. I have been trying extremely hard to prevent from getting sick and thus far, I have not thrown up yet! Sadly, I did become sick with a cough, which I am somewhat happy about because coughing is better than coughing up stomach acid. Here are some of the things I wish I did, and what you should do, if you want to try and avoid from getting sick:

1. Wear a mask

Masks that cover your mouth and nose help prevent germs from going inside of you. Studies show that people who are in contact with sick children are 80% less likely to catch their illness. So if you know that you are going to be in the presence of sick people, wear one and thank me later.

2. Do not go into popular public spaces like your school's cafeteria/dining hall

Regardless of how sick a person is, their germs are likely not going to prevent them from eating meals. If you know that a majority of the students at your school are sick, do not eat. Eating is not worth getting sick. If you get hungry, I suggest ordering takeout and eat out of the Chinese food containers like they do on television. If you can not afford to take out every night there are other options, such as: looking for coupons, having one of your healthy non-germaphobic friends bring food to your dorm, or if you have no other choice, but to go to the dining hall, then make sure you eat during a less popular eating time.

3. Do not go to class

I know a lot of people who do not skip a class even when they are sick. Some people only miss their classes only when they have a fever. Absences are better than germs. You may have to retake the class, but at least you'll be happy (and) be healthy. If you do not want to fail, ask your professor if you could FaceTime during class, or if you know someone who is sick, give your friend the idea to FaceTime during class, so they do not share their germs with the rest of the class.

4. Do not engage in sexual activity

Even if you know that your partner(s) is not sick, do not even cuddle with he/she/them, because you never know what germs are lingering inside of them and if they are going to be sick the morning after intimacy. Although germs are generally not spread through sexual contact, they are passed through droplets and saliva. It is very likely you will make your sexual companion(s) sick if you are kissing, breathing in front of his/her/their face(s), and by coughing or sneezing while you are engaging in sexual activities together.

5. If your roommate/people on your floor are sick, leave immediately

Ask a friend, who lives in another dorm, if you could stay with them until everyone on your floor is healthy. I mean you do not want to take a shower after someone who has been vomiting all night. Either leave, do not clean yourself or even go near the bathroom. I know that if someone on my floor gets sick, I am going to stay over at my sister's house, because she attends the same college as me. Luckily, as far as I know, no one on my floor has caught the norovirus yet.

6. Wear a paper bag over your head

This probably will not prevent germs as they can enter from the open bottom of the bag, but it may make you feel better. You will likely just look stupid, but there is a chance that you might look cute, like the cat in the above picture. Make sure that this bag is paper and NOT plastic, as plastic bags will suffocate you. If you are still worrying about suffocating, put holes where your eyes are, which will allow you to breathe more air, besides the air coming through from the bottom of the bag

7. Do not hang out with your friends or attend any social gatherings

Fun can lead to getting sick. No fun is worth getting sick. Sure, you may lose all your friends, but at least you will be healthy. Also, although I only have been to one college party, I know that they are generally held in small spaces where every one is close to each other, while drinking, dancing, or talking. So if you do attend a party, remember to leave room for Jesus (or whoever you believe in) while dancing and make sure to drink lots of alcohol (if you are of legal age) because alcohol kills germs!

8. In the event that you are sick, do not go to the health center

The health center is no doubt the most germ-infested place on campus. I went there because of my cough, and not only did they not help me, I now have an intense fear that I am going to get the norovirus or even more sick with something worse than my cough. You might be better off going to one of those clinics in shopping centers. I am sure they are not as sketchy as they look.

9. Do not help out/ take care of your sick friends/roommate

So you may seem like a heartless b*tch, but you do not want to do something nice and then have your friend gift you with their sickness as a token of their appreciation. Remember, no good deed goes unpunished. It is also likely, that your friend will not want to take care you as they will not want to catch their illness again.

10. Do not sit near a coughing student in class

If you hear the person sitting next to you coughing, sneezing, or constantly blowing their nose, move away and change your seat. If there are not any empty desks, either stand far away from your germy classmate, or get the hell out of the classroom. I do not care if this is during an important lecture or test; just go and do not come back!

10. Wash your hands regularly

Professionals washing your hands for a minimum for 20 seconds. Singing the "Happy Birthday" song in your head while washing your hands is a good method to use in order to prevent spreading germs. Remember to wash your hands before you eat, after you go to the bathroom after you blow your nose and following any exposure to germy situations.

12. Keep anti-bacterial products like Purell or Wet-Ones in your coat pockets and backpacks

Although washing your hands is one of the better ways to protect yourself from germs, hand sanitizing products are good supplements to hand washing and are helpful when you do not have access to a sink.

13. Do not touch your mouth or face

A bad habit that I have is that I touch my face often. Sometimes I am not even aware that I am doing it and when I am home my mom yells at me when I touch my face. Touching your face and mouth not only introduces new germs into your body but if you touch someone after touching your mouth, you are going to be sharing germs with them. If you have to absolutely touch your mouth or face, go to the bathroom first and wash your hands before doing so.

14. Cough and sneeze in your arm and do not use your hand to cover your mouth

A big mistake people make while sneezing and coughing, is using their hands to cover their mouth. People think they are protecting others from their germs, but more often than not, people sneeze in their hand and then shake someone's hand with their snotty hand, which spreads germs. In general, you should not touch other people while you are sick.

Friendly advice:

Remember do not panic. Just hope the weeks before your next break come quickly. Stay positive! And if you are sick, stay away from me!