14 Things All People with Allergies Will Understand

If you live with allergies, then you know the struggle.

56
previews.123rf.com

It's summer, and you know what that means! Time to hit the pool, go hiking, or enjoy whatever outdoor activity of your choosing. Most people prepare by putting on sunscreen, bug spray, or that new amazing setting spray for your make up. But for some of us, that also includes about three different allergy pills, some back up benydryl cream, and a handy-dandy inhaler. This one goes out to the people who suffer from allergies, whether its summer or year-round.

1. People are constantly asking you if you’ve tried the new allergy medication they just heard about.

The answer is always yes. And I’ve probably been prescribed it before it was OTC.

2. You are probably the sole reason Kleenex stays in business when it’s not cold and flu season.

Shout out to the tissues with aloe vera, my nose has never felt softer.

3. You’ve gotten used to people asking if you’re sick and contagious.

No, you can’t catch my allergies. Please stop acting like I need to be quarantined.

4. You think it’s amazing that people just take Benadryl when they have an allergic reaction.

What?! I need at least a 24 hour allergy pill, a nasal spray, an inhaler…

5. Going to other people’s homes is stressful, you never know how allergic to their animals you’ll be.

I’m sorry, it’s not that I hate your dog, I just hate that it makes me sneeze.

6. Similarly, you seem rude if you turn down food.

Yes, I’m even allergic to the almond milk in that iced coffee you offered me.

7. But at least it can get you out of something you don’t want to do.

8. You would pay thousands of dollars just to never have allergies again.

Where do I sign up for medical testing to get rid of these things?

9. But you will always be the friend who is prepared with any and all allergy medications.

Don’t thank me, thank never knowing when my allergies will flare up.

10. And if you’re planning on wearing makeup, waterproof eyeliner and mascara are your lifesaver.

As if tightlining and doing your waterline weren’t difficult enough, add watery sensitive eyes.

11. You can’t relate when people talk about “allergy season” because that’s just every season to you.

My allergies know no bounds. Flowers just mean my allergies have a floral background.

12. When someone asks what you’re allergic to, you’ve learned to just say “everything.”

Trust me, we don’t have time to pull out the list.

13. You’ve never experienced fear unless you’ve had bad allergies while taking a final.

I knew I should’ve brought my own tissues, because now my professor probably thinks I wrote down all the answers in the bathroom.

14. There’s nothing like having your friends trained to wait to say “bless you.”

I’m sure we’ve all had to put a finger up to warn people that more sneezes are coming.