14 Reasons Why You Need To Help Save The Bees

The honeybees of the world are dying by the millions. Beginning in the early 2000s, the number of colonies of honey bees in America began to drop off in huge numbers. These bees are responsible for pollinating a lot of the food that we eat. Here are some of the reasons why honeybees are important.

1. Chocolate

If there’s one thing that I can’t live without, it’s chocolate. I know what you’re saying, "What about coffee?" All of the coffee that I drink is flavored with chocolate. Without it, there is no point. Bees pollinate the cocoa plant. Without them, say goodbye.

2. Guacamole

You might save $1.95 at Chipotle, but without the avocados that bees pollinate, will your bowl really ever be the same?

3. Coffee

That 8:30 a.m. class is not going to happen without these bees. Every time when you pass a bee in the wild, you should give it a salute. Without bees, there is no coffee.

4. Strawberries

The best type of berry will be on its way out as soon as we lose the bees. That red, delicious fruit is only available after a bee visits with some pollen.

5. Almonds

For all of my lactose intolerant homies, you know that almond milk is the best. Even if you’re not lactose intolerant, almond milk keeps way longer than regular milk -- which is helpful if you’re the only roommate who uses it.

6. Apples

Doctors will get a lot busier without an apple a day to keep them away.

7. Pumpkins

First, they take my almond mocha. Now they take my pumpkin spiced latte?

8. Pizza

Well, this is technically about tomatoes. However, without tomatoes, they can’t make pizza sauce.

9. Honey

This one is obvious.

10. A decline in animals

Bees pollinate flowers. Flowers feed herbivores, which feed carnivores. The food chain will become nearly nonexistent.

11. Pickles

I’m OK with this one because I’m allergic to pickles, but I know a lot of diehard pickle fans. Your Chik-fil-A sandwich just won’t be the same.

12. California’s economy

California makes $2.3 billion a year off of almonds (see point 5). Without bees, Rihanna can't have a California King because the economy won't allow for any kings.

13. Burt's Bees

Hello, chapped lips and dry elbows.

14. Bees are a very good indicator of human life

Bees are an “indicator species,” meaning that a decline in bees indicates certain environmental conditions. Radiation, pesticides, and overall air pollution are big concerns and possible reasons why the bees are dying.

So, make like the Queen B(eyoncé)* herself and save the bees!

*disclaimer: I don’t actually know if Beyonce is helping to save the bees.