14 Reasons Why You Should Adopt a Cat Rather Than a Dog

Looking for a new housemate? Cats are the one for you.
181

Do you enjoy small animals that don't need your attention 24/7? Cats are the ones for you!

1.) They don't smell

Cats are one of the cleanest creatures in the world. When I pet a dog, my hand smells after. Unless you enjoy the smell of saliva, wet fur, and corn chips all over your household then a cat is for you!

2.) They aren't up your ass for attention every day.

No one wants to relive their past relationships. Karen is out of your life - don't let the clingy back in. Cats want you when they want you.

Look at those independent kitties!

3.) You can actually go on vacation and they can handle themselves!

Cats only need a bunch of food, a clean cat box, water, and someone to check on them every two days. This means fewer fees for kenneling, less stress, and you can actually leave your house for more than four hours! Now take your wife on that vacation you've always wanted without being tied down to an outdoor poop machine.

*There are also self-cleaning cat boxes so all someone has to do is check on their food and water (which there are also dispensers for).

4.) Less maintenance

Isn't it really enjoyable waking up at 3 a.m so your cat can go outside? Oh wait, that isn't a problem!

5.) Wanna stay in your house? Do it. They don't need exercise outdoors.

That's right! When it's winter you can stay in your heated house all day or if it's summer bask in your A/C. Don't wanna go on a walk? You don't have to! Just grab a laser pointer and start moving your wrist.

6.) Inexpensive

Cat food is less expensive as well as their toys and litter. Save money on all of those vet visits you never have to go to frequently!

7.) They can live in any condition.

Just about every apartment accepts cats. No pet deposit! You don't have to live somewhere based on yard space or if they accept certain dogs (no "dangerous cat" list).

8.) Quiet when company is around

Tired of walking into houses where you're greeted by barking, fumbling, and "I promise they don't bite"'s? Avoid being THAT person easily by owning a cat. They may rub against a leg, hide, or lay on your guest's lap but at least they aren't jumping, licking faces, or making it a HUGE deal because they heard a knock on the door!

9.) Take up less space when sleeping.

I own a full-size bed for a reason. It's all for me.

10.) You don't spend the first year of their life training them

I mean, other than showing them a cat box do you really need to train them to do anything else?

11.) Cats are more loyal than not only these hoes, but your mutt.

Know how I know this? Science.

12.) Less stress when you're hanging out

Cats are chill. The only time you're concerned around them is if they're clawing something or look like they're going to pee. With dogs, it's "don't eat this! Don't bite that! GET OUT OF THERE!" when they're not sleeping.

*If either of those cases are happening, take them to the vet because those could show signs of sickness or behavioral issues. Cats do not like peeing outside of their designated area.

13.) Less commitment

Fear of commitment like your ex-boyfriend Jeremy? Cats are perfect! You can leave for some time, clean their box every other day, and make sure they have food and clean water! This makes staying out longer than four hours, don't have to worry about meal times, or walking schedules easier. With the little attention cats need, you aren't tied down to your house! Want a dog? Have a baby instead!

14.) They can groom themselves

Cats can trim their own nails (most of the time), clean their fur as well as every other area. Dogs are constantly shedding, bringing things from the outdoors in, and in need of a bath. Dog shampoo can be THIRTY DOLLARS! Save the cash, adopt a cat.

With all of these reasons in mind, would you rather own a different species that lives as an infant for years or a grown ass adult?

*All gifs and pictures are credited by giphy.com they are not my own content

Every Black Friday the Best Friends Adoption organization partners with Zappos and black cats have no adoption fee.