14 Reasons Grace And Frankie Are Actually You And Your Best Friend

"#squadgoals"

123
YouTube

If you haven’t seen Netflix’s original comedy "Grace and Frankie" you’re missing out on a gem. For starters, the show has an all-star cast: Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Martin Sheen, Sam Waterston, Brooklyn Decker, the magnificent June Diane Raphael (if you don’t know her, look her up), and more. In fact, Tomlin was nominated for both a Golden Globe and a Primetime Emmy for her work in the role of “Frankie.” The show premiered in May 2015 and was renewed for a second season just three weeks later. Following the early-bird trend, Netflix confirmed a third season arriving online in 2017—before the second season was even available to stream. Clearly, it’s got a lot going for it.

But one of the best things about "Grace and Frankie" is the friendship formed by these indomitable women. It’s a friendship so fabulous, it may remind you of your own…

1. They’re friends when it’s hard to be friends.

Grace and Frankie didn’t start out as friends, despite knowing each other for years because their husbands were friends and law partners. In fact, Grace and Frankie pretty much hated each other…until Robert and Sol, their respective spouses, revealed they were divorcing their wives in order to marry each other.

Thrown together in the fallout of their marriages and their ex-husbands’ extensive affair, these women initially formed a friendship out of necessity. Over time, though, they grow to be authentic friends—despite their differences. Just like Grace and Frankie, you and your best friend may have friction sometimes, but you both know your friendship is stronger than any of that.

2. They’re a team.

Like you and your bestie, Grace and Frankie know the importance of sticking together. When life throws them curveballs—and, in their seventies, it’s thrown quite a few—they handle each one side by side. Not to mention that they also know how to prepare for turbulence (see above). Though each of them is great on their own, they find they work better together, balancing Grace’s orderliness with Frankie’s mild chaos. These women show the strength of friendship, solidarity, and #girlpower.

3. There’s no such thing as TMI between them.

Conversational boundaries? What are those?

4. Their dance skills are on point. (On fleek? Who even knows by now…)

Best duo on the dance floor, best duo in life: just like you and your bestie.

5. They don’t take each other too seriously…

If you and your best friend didn’t laugh about life, how would you ever get through?

6. …which sometimes means a (lighthearted) prank or joke at the other’s expense.

Because best friends know JUST where to get you.

7. They know when the other needs a pep talk.

And they give the best pep talks, even if a little eccentric.

8. They understand the need for comfort.

The only thing on a higher level of comfort…

…is you and your best friend.

9. They’re there when things go wrong.

They've got the tissues and chocolate on hand.

10. To remind you that things will get better.

Especially when it feels like they won't.

11. Or to remind you when it’s okay to be angry.

Actually, they're usually angry for you.

12. But they also know when you’re full of talk.

They've heard it all before.

13. And they aren’t bashful about calling you out on it.

Not to mention they're the only ones who really can.

14. Most of all: they’re fully aware of just how fabulous they are.

So go grab your best friend: you’ve got lots of fabulous years to look forward to!