14 Life Lessons Everyone Needs To Hear

14 Life Lessons Everyone Needs To Hear

These are the most important lessons I learned from Sarina Chen, and I believe everyone should know them.

21
14 Life Lessons Everyone Needs To Hear
Facebook

When I first started college, I never thought a professor would impact my life as much as Sarina Chen did. I honestly didn’t even know it was possible. Throughout high school, I learned so much from many of my teachers, and they taught me a lot about life and the world. But here I am, and I am about to write a whole article dedicated to one professor I had for less than a total of six months.

Sarina Chen, or Sarina 3000 as she prefers to be called, is a life changing person. Through her class, I learned so much more about life then I had compared to any other class I’ve taken. This article isn’t intended to upset or diss any of my teachers from the past, because I absolutely love them and wouldn’t change a thing. But, there are those people that just connect and can do amazing things together. That’s how people choose their spouse, that’s how people partner to write songs like “Don’t Stop Believing” or life changing experiences like “Inception”. It is those types of connections that really draw out creativity and inspiration from the person. I’m not saying I personally have a special relationship with Sarina 3000, but what I’m saying is that she has a way of getting through to her students that very few people can do. Sarina 3000 is formally a professor, but in reality she is a motivational speaker.

As I stated earlier, Sarina changed my life with her life advice. Starting college is a huge transition, and she was there to give me life advice when I needed it the most. But this life advice wasn’t personally sought out by me. Instead, it was taught in her class like it was apart of the curriculum. Obviously, her advice has had a huge impact on me, and so I wanted to share it with as many people as possible. So, here are some of the greatest life lessons I learned from Sarina 3000.

Think for yourself or other people will do it for you. YOU are the most important thing in this world.

Whether they mean to or not, people will take advantage of you. It’s a fact of life, because everyone is going to think from their own perspective. You have to think for yourself, and you have to take care of yourself. Know who is good for you and know who is bad. You are the most important thing in life. Live every second of your own life starting today.

Social media doesn’t allow us to enjoy the moment.

I’m bad at this myself, and I want to get better. Social media has lessened so many life experiences for me. So often we’re worried about that status update, or taking the perfect picture, or responding to the texts on our phone. Often time that all doesn’t matter for the moment that you are in. How many times have you been out with friends, and eventually everyone ends up on their phone? You are lowering your experience and your time with those people! You need to live in the moment. I personally saw part of this a few summers ago, when one of my friends had her ankle in a cast for the entire summer. Whenever we would hang out, a lot of us would end up on our phones, but she never did. And she would always chew us out about being on our phones and tell us to get off. We can be on our phones whenever the hell we want, but we can’t always be with the people we want to be with.

If you feel down, don’t overreact because it’s normal.

Happiness isn’t promised in life, and it is something you have to work for. If you feel even a little bit happy, that is a blessing. Life sucks, but you will be alright. Some days are going to feel like shit. All things happen for a reason, and when things don’t work out, it’s good for you. And if nothing else, go to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart has all of the solutions.

Rosa Parks has a bus. What is your bus? Find your bus, and fight for your bus.

Sarina was determined that her son would have her last name, and that was her bus. Rosa Parks had her seat on the bus, and that was her seat. That was her bus, her purpose. Find your purpose and fight for your purpose.

God’s highest and extremist act of grace is not your boyfriend.

Relationships with everyone are important. Your boyfriend, or girlfriend, isn’t the greatest thing in the world. Know yourself, and know what makes you happy. And if you never fight in a relationship, it isn’t healthy. One of you is giving too much.

The beginning in any relationship is the most beautiful.

Before any labels are made, the beginning of the relationship is the most exciting. This is because there is so much potential at the start of the relationship, and you don’t know where this relationship is going to go. Instead, you can only dream of where it could go.

The more you know a person, the less you respect them.

This really puts into perspective what respect is in today’s world. Of course you “respect” your friends, but you don’t always respect them at the start of engagements like you would your boss or your professor. The more you know them, the more you know how they choose to live their life, and the more you accidentally, automatically place judgement on them.

You don’t know what the people sitting next to you are going through today.

Everyone is experiencing a different mood and day then you are. You don’t know what the other person has had to go through already in the day. Remember that and be kind to people, even if they are treating you like shit. Give them a chance, because you don’t know what kind of day they are having.

If you don’t want your exes to go to hell, you still have feelings for them.

There are a few things you can do to an ex: key their door, break their windshield, slash their tires, or send twenty large pepperoni pizzas to their address. Personally, I think the last suggestion is the best, most effective one. Someone has to pay for the pizzas, and it won’t be you!

If you are good enough, people will wait.

Sarina doesn’t have a cell phone, because she believes that she is important enough for people to wait for her. If you are important enough to another person, they will wait for you. If they don’t then that is a good way to tell that the relationship wasn’t a great one.

We can’t smile in our I.D.s because we won’t be smiling when we’re pulled over.

Sarina always was one for incorporating humor into her lectures, but what she was saying was always true. If you’re smiling when you get pulled over, it’s because you’re trying to play the nice card.

Face to face communication is the most convincing.

There is almost nothing as powerful as speaking with something face to face. Everything is out on the table. Emotions, love, and human life are all fleeting, and you need to make the most of life while you can. Pursue your dreams, go out there, and talk to people face to face. Be convincing.

Your job is to go out there, mess things up, and make mistakes.

We all have weaknesses. As Sarina 3000 would say, “your weakness is chocolate, my weakness is cocaine.” She was joking, of course, but it got the point across. You need to go into the world and not be afraid to fail, and to not be afraid to make mistakes.

Make good use out of the opportunities given to you.

When you’re feeling enlightened, when you’re feeling inspired, it means you’ve created something of your own. People want to oppress you and make money out of you, but you can make the best out of every opportunity that is given to you. Students are powerful because they have so much potential. Think about that potential for every single opportunity you get and put it to use.