14 Annoying Ways To Get Your Barista Steamed

Do you really want to mess with the masters of caffeine?

182
Acacia Ladd-Cocca

Coffee shops are currently having a "moment" and have entered a transitional phase from basic and predictable, to exciting and crafty. I like to compare this recent change in our beloved caffeinated hot spots to the craft beer and beverage brewing that has gained so much popularity.

Coffee is as much a creative trend as it is a necessity (for most people in the world), which means there are endless varieties of coffee-based drinks to satisfy just about any caffeine lover.

I, too, adore the bittersweet jolt of a flavored latte or freshly brewed pot of coffee. I admire the coffee industry so much that I quit my career job to work for a successful, locally run shop in Saratoga Springs, New York.

Even though the service industry comes with some stress, I can genuinely say I enjoy my job as a barista and the free coffee perks while working my shift obviously help me get through each day with a smile. I get along well with my coworkers and other customers.

However, some days have proven to be a major test of my patience, especially during the summer months, due to an influx of tourists.

I don't let much get to me, but in my experience working as a barista, there are numerous ways to push the wrong buttons. Many other barista friends and coworkers have shared the same outlook to the rude and clueless customers we serve on a daily basis.

So, if you want to get on your barista's good side, then study this list and learn how not to speak to the person preparing the essential fuel for your day.

1. Stare at the menu for an extended period of time, then become stressed out when you walk up to the counter to order, only to state that you still don't know what you want.

That information is already clear to me, considering you haven't taken your eyes off of the menu. Except, now you have caused a line of people (who do know what they want) to pile up when I could have helped them, first.

2. Also, staring at the food section of the menu for a long time at 2 p.m., deciding which breakfast sandwich you want, despite the fact that the board clearly states that breakfast is only served from 7 a.m. until 1 p.m.

Then getting angry at me for your lack of attention.

3. Making a beeline straight to the counter and responding to my smiling, "hello! How are you today?" with your coffee order and not even an attempt at a simple "hello" response.

I understand you're already running late on your way to work, but that is not my fault, and it takes just a few seconds to start off with pleasantries.

4. Watching the barista intently while they make a drink that is clearly not for you.

If you stood in line behind a person or two, and those customers are obviously waiting for their orders, then chances are your drink hasn't even been started yet. You are not the only person on Earth, so just be patient and don't assume we have no idea what we are doing. We make more correct drinks than incorrect ones (usually).

5. Getting flustered at the menu choices and asking if we have "just regular, normal coffee."

Considering we are a coffee shop (as in a shop that serves coffee), then you can probably assume that we do, in fact, have "just regular, normal coffee", or just take a second to use your eyes and see which black coffee offerings we have.

6. When I ask if you would like a 12oz. or 20oz. coffee and you answer: "medium".

If I give two size options, then medium does not exist. Similarly, if you ask for a "tall" anywhere that is not a Starbucks, that will confuse everyone because to us, a "tall" sounds "large", not "small".

7. Claiming you said you wanted an "iced latte" when I am 100 percent positive you said "hot".

Sometimes people make mistakes, and that's okay, but I am constantly listening for key words to get this drink done. I hear size, type, hot or cold, flavor and milk choice. If I am the one specifically asking, I am most likely able to remember what your order was. Don't get upset at me for your mistake.

8. Telling me "they do that for me at Starbucks" when you make a strange request that I cannot fulfill.

If Starbucks makes your coffee a certain way, then by all means, go to Starbucks. However, we are not a Starbucks, and not all coffee shops are run the same, so there will be many differences between a corporate, large-scale franchise and a unique, locally owned coffee shop.

9. Asking for a cappuccino and getting upset when I hand you a cappuccino.

I'm not asking every person to study every coffee drink ever, but at least learn the basics. A traditional cappuccino is mostly espresso, with some foam. They are small and strong. When we get into the realm of anything over 6oz., then you are actually getting a latte, because of the ratio of espresso, milk and foam. This is basic coffee knowledge, so I know what I am talking about. Don't tell me I am wrong when I simply inform you that 6oz. is standard cappuccino size.

10. Also, arguing that an "iced cappuccino" exists.

I don't care how adamant you are; an iced cappuccino does not exist and will never exist. You can't successfully make iced milk foam, nor do you want to. If you want espresso over ice with steamed, foamed milk on top, you will only get upset with me when it tastes awful. Let's skip the awkward arguing and just trust me.

11. Questioning why your drink/food has taken so long when only five minutes have passed.

You are not the only customer that ordered food and/or drinks and you clearly see how many people we have on staff. We are human beings working as hard and fast as we can. Quality taste takes time and we really strive to ensure that you get the best breakfast sandwich and coffee that you've ever had, every time you walk into the shop.

12. Asking multiple questions, then getting impatient with the answers.

We are more than happy to answer any questions customers have, especially since the shop I work for takes a different approach to coffee. We have high-tech, top-of-the-line equipment and each technique we use has a purpose. The number of options we have can get overwhelming and somewhat confusing, so answering questions is absolutely expected.

However, if you ask me something about our interesting machinery or the difference between our roasts and bean varieties, then proceed to cut me off impatiently, as if I am the one wasting your time, then good luck finding the perfect cup of coffee for your personal taste.

13. Treating us like we are your personal servants.

This is a friendly reminder that those of us in the service industry are still human beings. We are not uneducated imbeciles and we don't enjoy being disrespected.

If you leave messes behind that could have easily been cleaned up with an extra minute of effort, or expect us to focus all of our attention and energy on you, then we have a difficult time serving our other customers.

We are working hard to get through life and the assumption that foodservice is inferior to other professions is just condescending and rude. I am much happier, and even make more money, as a barista than at my office job within my field of study, so don't assume you know what kind of person I am based on the industry I work in.

14. Getting angry when we make a mistake.

I wish I could say that I am perfect and never make mistakes, but just as with anyone else, I am definitely not perfect.

Sometimes the endless supply of caffeine around me is not enough to lift me out of a fog of anxiety or a bad night's sleep. When the line stacks up, and one barista is grinding more beans for fresh pots of coffee, the credit card machine is not cooperating and the cook has to bake more biscuits for breakfast sandwiches, that's when things get stressful and we may mess up an order here and there.

All I ask is that you understand a little bit that mistakes happen and we will quickly try to our best to fix the mistake so that you walk away happy.

True story: A few weekends ago we actually had a customer come up and demand a refund for her entire order (food and drinks) because one of the girls working accidentally tripped up the stairs, causing her to drop the woman's breakfast sandwich. Our employee felt so bad for messing up this lady's breakfast and apologized many times. The woman never asked if the girl was okay and actually mentioned to our management that the situation was inconvenient and upsetting for her. We would only give a refund for the food, considering she had already received her drinks, without any issues. She expressed her anger and mentioned she would never come to our coffee shop again.

I only had two thoughts to her reaction: how could someone be that self-absorbed that they are more worried about their food than about another person who could have been hurt? Also, good riddance.

We don't want you to come back if you're going to act that entitled and rude.

I'm sure I left out so many other terrible habits that just annoy baristas to no end. So, if you don't want to secretly receive decaf after ordering full caffeine, or getting whole instead of skim milk, then please treat your local baristas and other service providers with a little respect.

After all, we do control your morning caffeine intake.