14 Essentials For a Successful Road Trip

Try new things, be spontaneous, and have fun!

27
Alexis Hyatt

Is it just me, or do you get that itch to travel too? The wanting to be on the road and seeing all of the sites that America has to offer us because pictures online just don't do it justice? Well I have the itch, all the time, but I can never choose where to go, and being a college student, I'm usually broke, so I just assume I probably can't get that far.

Wrong! Just take a road trip! You can go anywhere, not have a destination, and see a tremendous amount on your way to everywhere! Taking a road trip myself, and being currently on a road trip (Wahoo!), there are a few things you have to have with you to travel America.

1. Good Company.

This is a must. Traveling alone would be fine, but it's just not as fun and it costs more money by yourself! Make sure you bring along somebody that you really like, because you'll be stuck with them in a car for days on end. Last year I went on a road trip with my mother, and we discovered so many spots that have stolen our hearts, and here we are today, at it again! Along with my fiancé this time, we plan to take ourselves all the way over to California from Michigan. I love these two so much, but just remember: "you never really know someone until you take a road trip with them."

2. A Car.

Ok, obviously you need a car or vehicle to take you around the states, but make sure you have a reliable one! Pay the extra money to get your car checked out for everything before you make your trip, I promise you will not be sorry. Also have the necessities for a car such as a spare tire, a jack, and some jumper cables, just in case. Make sure it has enough room for you and your pals, your luggage, and all of your souvenirs! 😉

3. An Atlas.

Yes we have GPS and that can take us anywhere, but we don't know where we are going! An Atlas is an inexpensive tool to help take you places, especially if you don't have any service and that GPS doesn't work. It will show you back roads and national parks that you might not have known were there.

4. An Adventurous Spirit.

You have to be able to take what comes at you on a road trip and to be prepared for anything. Be willing to hop out of the car and jump in that lake you have never seen before, or stop at that hole in the wall and try their clam chowder, you might love it! Before you even go, be willing to go! Make yourself take some time off and just go! Quit telling yourself you don't have the time or the money to go on a trip. Try new things, be spontaneous, and have fun!

5. A Camera.

You have to have a camera to capture all of those adventures you're going to have! Stop and smell the roses and take a picture with them too! My mom and I invested in a GoPro to record a lot of our trip along with our phones to take pictures. We loved it and are constantly reminded of the fun we had and all the sites we got to see. Unfortunately, things will never be as pretty as they are in person.

6. A Journal.

Not only should you take pictures of your memories, but write them down! Write how you felt when a certain thing happened, or funny things that your friend said during the trip. I wrote down all of these funny things that my mom said, and all of these times when she would say one thing but meant something else completely because this is something she does and it cracks me up. It's fun to go back and look at some of those moments that you wrote down and it brings you back to the moment it happened.

7. A Road Trip Playlist.

This can be a mixed CD you make, a playlist on your phone, Pandora, or even just a bunch of old CDs you have. You might switch to the radio and not always listen to the playlist, but it's nice to have. Last year, mom and I brought along a Kid Rock CD. Let me tell you that I used to make fun of my mom for listening to Kid Rock so much (mainly because I listen to country and pop music), but now I can sing you a bunch of his songs by heart. This year my mom decided to bring along Kiss for my fiancé and I to listen to, so we will see how that goes!

8. SNACKS!

Bring snacks. Snacks are the best. Bring chips, granola bars, fruit, whatever tickles your fancy, but bring them. Being in a car may be boring at times and you might be in the middle of nowhere with a grumbling stomach, but you have snacks! Play a game with your snacks, like catching skittles in your mouth, or have them to ease that grumble. My all time favorite snack to bring is popcorn! My mom and I make it homemade before we leave and it can last for a while (and it's delicious). Along with snacks, peanut butter and bread is a great go-to for lunches and dinners, and saves you money instead of going out all the time or pulling through that fast food joint.

9. A Pillow and Blanket.

Another must! You might not always be able to find a hotel, or you can't afford one, so you might have to take naps in your car. It is nice to have a pillow to rest on and a blanket to keep you warm, especially if you have to stay overnight in your car. My family does this a lot, and it works out fine as long as we have a little bit of leg room. It is also nice to bring a tent in case you can't afford a hotel room, you might be able to find a cheap campsite to pop up your tent and spread out when you sleep.

10. Water.

Quench your thirst, and your cars! It is always a good thing to bring along some water bottles for yourself that you can either refill or get some more. You never know when you might be thirsty and you might not be around a place to get some water or a soda. Water is a good supply to have on hand because it will keep you hydrated better than anything else. (Coffee is nice too, to keep you awake!) It is also good to bring at least a gallon of water with you for your car in case it over heats. Just a precaution!

11. Ziploc Bags.

We use these for ev-er-y-thing. My mom packed her socks in a ziploc bag to keep them in one place. We put our toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, and shower stuff in Ziploc bags to keep them sanitary and to not spill out in the rest of our travel bag. We put open snacks in Ziploc bags. If you run out of trash bags, you can use a Ziploc bag. If you want to split up your money between gas, souvenirs, food, and fun stuff- use Ziploc bags!

12. Duct Tape.

This is a quick fixer-upper for anything that might happen. Tent gets a rip? Use duct tape to temporarily fix it until you can actually repair it. Flip flop falls apart? Use duct tape until you can buy a new pair. Ziploc bag gets a tear in it? Use duct tape!

13. A Hat.

I love my hats! I have sun hats, ball caps, Safari hats, and beanies. I take them with me because you never know when you might need one! Depending on where you end up, it might be really sunny and a hat is a good way to keep that sun out of your eyes. A hat is also a good way to keep the hair out of your face. And whether you actually need one or not, hats are cute!

14. Patience and A Positive Attitude.

Be sure to be patient on your trip. Things happen, always. You might start to get sick of your buddy (I haven't, but you never know) but it is best to just be patient in order to work things out. You might get stuck in a traffic jam (or two!) but that's ok! I like to have a novel along with me in case of this so that I don't get so bored, and I can take my mind off of what is going on. Also be sure that no matter what this trip may throw your way, have a positive attitude about it. Yeah, it sucks that you got stuck in a traffic jam, but play a game of Catch Phrase or Tic Tac Toe and make the best of your situation. If things aren't going as planned or how you may have wanted, at least you got to do it, you know. Stay positive, and stay happy. ❤️

There are so many more things you could bring on your trip, but in my experience, these are a few of the essentials. Have fun and enjoy yourself, because I know I will!