14 Cartoons That Made Our Childhood

14 Cartoons That Made Our Childhood

These cartoons made sure we were never bored!

388
14 Cartoons That Made Our Childhood

For most of us, cartoons were a significant part of our childhood. They made us laugh, cry, and some even made us think critically about the world around us. For me there were certain cartoons that I enjoyed more than others, so allow me to take you through some of the best cartoons which made our childhood great!

1. The Wild Thornberrys

This show was probably the kickstarter for my love of animals. It revolves around a family that travels the world studying animals and whose youngest daughter, unbeknownst to them, has the rare and unique ability to talk to animals. The characters of this show are very unique and fun to watch. Eliza was definitely my idol, because I actually dreamed that one day I could be like her and talk to my cats. And let’s be honest, for those of us who are avid fans, we all were sobbing during the episode where it is revealed what happened to his biological parents before the Thornberrys adopted him!

2. Tom & Jerry

An absolute guilty pleasure, I could watch Tom and Jerry’s hilarious antics for hours, even now when I am almost 21. I love the neverending stunts that Jerry pulls on Tom (which have got to hurt!) and Tom’s futile attempts to capture him are always a treat. My favorite episodes are those which have Spike, the bulldog, who knows how to really make Tom run screaming! It makes me wish we still had funny cartoons like this!

3. Scooby Doo

By far one of my favorite shows when I was growing up, this program is about a gang of youths who are skilled at solving mysteries. I always identified the most with Shaggy and Scooby since like them I also have an unhealthy love of food! Each member of the gang has their own unique skills which make the team function. And as annoying as the theme song is, it constantly got stuck in our heads. Interestingly no one ever questioned the fact that almost all of the mysteries on the show involved people getting arrested for dressing up as ghosts and monsters scaring people, but that's the beauty of being a kid. So much innocence!

4. As Told By Ginger

This program really taught me a lot about morals and the turbulences of day to day life. In fact, in a lot of ways the themes were a lot more “adult” than most of the cartoons were when this aired. Unlike most cartoons, this one had some great character development. There were also themes such as depression and friendship which were emphasized upon. In many ways, Ginger’s friendships and life was what we wanted for ourselves and yet her flaws were what made her so relatable. The show was definitely a roller coaster!

5. Little Bill

Yes yes, I know it is a kid’s show, but you have to admit, it was a cute one. Little Bill’s innocence and curiosity about the world was something we could all relate to. And of course it was also quite diverse, including kids of all different races and backgrounds. This show was certainly a stepping stone for making us more active and curious about our surroundings and of course solving our day-to-day problems. I never got tired of watching it!

6. The Fairly OddParents

Another guilty pleasure, I loved the humor that this show exhibited. Don’t lie, we all wanted to be Timmy Turner. A 10-year old boy with fairy godparents who grant his every wish? How awesome is that? Cosmo’s antics are always fun to watch, and of course him and Wanda’s arguments are super cute. We loved watching Timmy torture Vicky, Crocker, and of course dealing with the problems in Fairy World. One would think that this show would get old after awhile and be less entertaining, but surprisingly the writers have managed to keep the humor and fun in it, introducing new characters and story lines. It’s a lot of fun to watch!

7. Hey Arnold!

When we were in middle school, we all wanted an awesome friend like Arnold. How could we not? With his extremely high moral compass and his compassion for others, he was a role model for all. In some ways, he was too perfect. Thankfully the show did include his flaws and the mistakes he made (like when he took karate too seriously and had a crush on a girl who broke his heart), but they were easily overshadowed by his wisdom and good deeds. The characters and their flaws made for a great story, one which will always stay with us.

8. Rocket Power

To be honest, when I first started watching this show it was because nothing else was on or because a show I liked was coming up next, But as I watched it more and more, it surprisingly grew on me. How great would it be to be able to skate like these guys? Their skills put us to shame. I always liked Reggie the most not just because she was a girl but because she seemed to be the most level-headed. And Squid’s brains were also an added bonus to the group, along with Tito’s wisdom. A real treat for all!

9. Lilo & Stitch: The Series

This show brought out a very unhealthy obsession with Hawaii within me, one that has yet to subside! It was definitely one of the most entertaining programs when I was growing up. Watching Gantu lose time and time again and get yelled at by Hamsterville was always funny, and watching him get beat up by Stitch was a bonus! I loved the fact that it showed a girl who I could really identify with: An outsider, a social outcast, a girl with quirks and a very strong personality. And it showed how she didn’t need to be accepted by the masses but instead the people who really mattered in her life. Plus her adventures were super fun to watch! And I’m pretty sure we all needed an experiment like Stitch in our lives; indestructible, infallible, and a great friend who loves and accepts you for who you are, no matter what quirks you have.

10. The Proud Family

A regular girl with regular problems, The Proud Family shows the day to day life of a teenager. It definitely got a bit redundant at times but the antics of Suga Mama (especially when she insulted Oscar) never got old. I also loved how it touched on important issues like race, class, and also superficiality amongst the youth. From Dijonay's obsession with Sticky to LaCienega's stuck up attitude (which often made us wonder what she was even doing in this group!) , the day to day lives of Penny Proud was never boring. Plus the characters had their own unique flaws and strengths, all of which combined made a pretty entertaining watch!

11. Kim Possible

A role model for all women, it features a female teenage superhero and her best friend as they fight crime together. Needless to say the fact that it showed a girl in the lead fighting role was a great change, and the fact that amongst their many archenemies Shego was the real brains behind Draken was also a breath of fresh air. Ron was always the most fun because of his clumsiness and his friendship with Rufus, making him much more realistic. Kim was great because along with her great fighting skills she was also a regular high school girl with her own problems. And I have no shame in admitting that I spent a good part of my childhood jumping from couch to couch pretending to be Kim Possible!

12. Disney’s House Of Mouse

This show is for sure another guilty pleasure, and I loved it because I often got to see some of my favorite Disney characters. The cartoons showed in it gave us more stories with Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and all the other characters we love. The Disney characters we got to see were always a treat because we got to see whole different sides of them. By far one of the best guilty pleasures!

13. Avatar: The Last Airbender

Those of you who know me well or have read the article I have already written about this program know that it is by far one of my favorites. The amazing animation, the strong characters (both male and female, bender and non-bender), the great storyline, and the important themes explored are just some of the reasons we fans obsess about it. From Sokka’s humor to the incredible fight sequences, we all knew that when Avatar: The Last Airbender was on, we would never be bored!

14. The Legend Of Korra

The sequel series to Avatar: The Last Airbender, this program focuses on the next Avatar after Aang and the trials and turbulences that plague the world. Again, the quality of the animation and fight sequences have no comparison, and the plot line is actually a little more serious than the prequel, and focuses on more abstract themes. Since it released a few years after the original series ended, the fan base is slightly older, thereby able to comprehend some of the more complex and serious themes explored such as dictatorship, social unrest, terrorism, spiritualism, secularism, mental illness, and other ideas. While I had some serious problems with the series finale, I still feel that this show was an incredible sequel to the much-loved original program!

The great thing about cartoons is that they are innocent and fun and yet they have the ability to be powerful and used as a tool to enhance people’s world view as well. These shows were a huge part of my childhood and I will never get tired of watching them over and over again! Of course, there are countless other cartoons that were great as well. Comment to let me know what your favorite is or if I've missed any!