14 Annoyances College Kids Deal With On The Daily

The trials and tribulations of college life.
56

When you first begin college, you have all these ideas on how life is going to be. You think that you will be best friends with your roommate and go to college parties and have a good time. You think your classes won’t be so bad and you’ll have no problem keeping up. Let me tell you from personal experience this is not true. In fact, I find myself in more annoying situations and more stressed out than having fun. I’m not putting a damper on college I’m just informing you of the trials and tribulations that come with being a college student.

1. The Application Fees

OK, so this one really bothers me. I don’t understand why we have to pay application fees to a college that we might not even get into. Or even better, a college we do get into and still pay tuition on top of it. These fee’s range anywhere from 30-200 dollars so if you are applying to multiple colleges it will cost you a pretty penny.

2. The protesters/preachers

protesters/preachers

These are the people that stand in the middle of campus and preach all their beliefs to you. These are the religious people trying to shove their religion down your throat by saying you are sinner and going to hell. They are the anti-abortionist people who put up posters with false statistics. This just gets me angry and more likely to disagree with them.

3. Parking

Everyone’s favorite problem. If you are not at least an hour early for your class you may risk your chance of being late for the simple reason of finding a parking space. Parking is a nightmare if you don’t know what to expect.

4. Paying for online access codes

online access codes

This just sucks. You have to pay anywhere from 150-250 dollars for a piece of paper with a code on it just so you can do the homework your teacher assigns. You don’t even get a physical textbook with this, no, you get an online version which sucks. I don’t know about y’all, but I’d rather have a physical textbook.

5. People walking slowly in front of you

slow walkers

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I am generally a fast walker so when people are just slowing walking along with no care in the world I can’t help but roll my eyes and walk ahead. God forbid you are running late, people just don’t care.

6. People walking in groups

This one kind of goes with the last one. Sometimes when you are behind these slow people they are walking in groups making it impossible to pass them. They take up the entire walkway leaving you to wait till they disperse which is just annoying.

7. People riding longboards/bikes under awnings

OK, I don’t know about other colleges, but at FGCU it is actually against the rules to this, not that people listen. So, I am faced with almost getting run over but idiots on boards on a daily basis.

8. The night classes

I know night classes are needed for some, but for those of us who have classes all day they just get a bit tiresome. If I am on campus at noon, I don’t want to be there until 8 at night. I am just sleepy, cranky, and hungry at that point.

9. Semester friends

These are the people that come into your life for the one semester you have a class with them. This gets annoying because sometimes I make some really good friends and then as soon as the class is over so is the friendship.

10. Unreasonable expectations

So, this goes more along the lines of the unreasonable study hours. Professors say you should study double the amount of hours than the class is worth. So if it is a 3 credit hour class you should study for it for 6 hours, not including the class itself. This is per week. This just isn’t realistic if you have 7 classes and work full time.

11. Online classes

Online classes are great if you are taking all your classes online. If you are like me and only have one online class a semester it tends to fall through the cracks. I get so caught up with my in-person classes that I completely forget about my online class until the very last minute.

12. Numerous tests in one week

This one is just a pain in the butt. I have had three major test in one week before and it was a pretty stressful week with having all my homework and then studying on top of that with working at the same time.

13. When your favorite study spot is taken

I don’t about y’all but I have a certain spot in the library that I like to go to study and/or do homework. Sometimes, though, when I get there someone has taken it and that really grinds my gears.

14. When people say it will be over in only X number of years.

you're almost done

Last but certainly not least, when people say you don’t have much longer. For me, I have two and a half years left. I hate it when people say “you only have two and a half years left. You’re almost done” I’m just like yeah only. Two years of no sleep and caffeine-fueled stress ahead of me.

Yay.