Everything You Need To Know About The 13th Zodiac Sign

What is it, and what does it mean for you?

435
Sitora Yusufiy

Each of us has a different relationship with our zodiac signs. Whether you believe in them or not, horoscopes are entertaining, to say the least. My aunt is an astrologist, and has done my entire family's star charts; they are so detailed that they factor in the exact minute of your birth (I'm a Scorpio with Gemini rising, if you're wondering). If you're anything like me, then you're probably freaking out about the 13th astrological sign added by NASA, that completely changes the zodiac game.

Saying that NASA "added" a sign may not be completely accurate; rather, a more appropriate term would be that the 13th zodiac sign is now recognized. Astrology, the study of the stars that fuels horoscopes, and astronomy, the scientific study of space and its components that NASA practices are mutually exclusive, for the most part. They do interact in some way.

3,000 years ago, when the zodiac as we know it today was created by the Babylonians, they knew that there were thirteen constellations, not twelve. They decided to leave one sign out because their society already functioned by the lunar calendar that was already divided into twelve equal parts, essentially giving each zodiac sign its own "month." Ophiuchus, as a result, was left out — until now.

While NASA does not scientifically back astrology, they decided to weigh in. Yes, there are thirteen constellations through which the sun passes through, and therefore, thirteen zodiac signs and not twelve. No, the sun does not spend the same amount of time in each constellation, as each constellation is a different size and shape. Perhaps most astonishing is that since the Earth's axis is not in the same position it was 3,000 years ago, the dates under which all of the signs fall needs to be readjusted.

Here are the updated dates of the new signs:

Capricorn: January 20 - February 16

Aquarius: February 16 – March 11

Pisces: March 11 – April 18

Aries: April 18 – May 13

Taurus: May 13 – June 21

Gemini: June 21 – July 20

Cancer: July 20 – August 10

Leo: August 10 – September 16

Virgo: September 16 – October 30

Libra: October 30 – November 23

Scorpio: November 23 – November 29

Ophiuchus: November 29 – December 17

Sagittarius: December 17 – January 20

So, what does it mean if you fall under the mysterious "new" sign, Ophiuchus? The positive personality traits include that he or she is trustworthy, a seeker of knowledge, a passionate lover, a strong believer in justice, and naturally likable. The negative traits include that he or she is hyper-critical of others, likely to be separated from family, and cause others to feel jealousy towards them.

What is your new sign? Are you an Ophiuchus? Is the description of your sign accurate? Let us know your thoughts and reactions!