13 Young Adult And Children's Book Series You Should Reread

Books for young readers can be for adults, too

178
SF.co

As Autumn approaches, the air becomes crisper, the smell of pumpkin spice dances in the air, and one of the best fall activities is curling up next to a fireplace with a good book. To add to the nostalgic atmosphere, try rereading a series that brought you joy when you were younger, or even sample a series that you might have missed. It’s never too late to enjoy young adult or children’s fiction.

1. "The Boxcar Children"

It begins a tale of a family of orphaned children who decide to strike out on their own and live in an abandoned boxcar, but expanded into a series of mysteries and adventures experienced by the children in the first book. Gertrude C. Warner, a grade school teacher, invented the series originally, but the series took off, and has over 100 titles in the franchise. Any "Boxcar Children" title is a fun, short read that is easy to get through. If you’re looking for wholesome, old-fashioned adventure, "The Boxcar Children" series is one you’ll love.

2. "Goosebumps"

This series of creepy encounters by R.L. Stine fascinated many young readers. Don’t forget the spooky shenanigans, especially as Halloween approaches. “Welcome to Dead House” was the first book published out of the Goosebumps series way back in 1992. Any book from this easy to read series will give you chills, though. It’s recommended not to read them after dark!

3. "Animorphs"

"Animorphs" is a long YA science fiction series that centers around a group of friends' abilities to turn into any animal they can touch. Filled with aliens, fights, and tense situations, "Animorphs" by K.A. Applegate is a page turner. It would be wise to read them in some semblance of order. Unlike the previous two series on this list, the books aren't self-contained. While each book is short, the whole series has 54 books in it, with 150-200 pages in it. Committing to a long series can be fun, though-- don't be afraid to jump into this intense sci-fi series.

4. "The Underland Chronicles"

While Suzanne Collins is mostly known for her hit trilogy, "The Hunger Games," "The Underland Chronicles" is a great adventure series. Gregor, the main character, and his sister Boots fall through a vent in their basement and end up in an underground world filled with huge animals and strange looking humans. It's a classic adventure tale that spans five books and involves prophecies, love interests, and battles. This series will keep you up way past bedtime flipping through Gregor's adventures.

5. The "Redwall" Series

Written by Brian Jacques, this fantasy series aimed at older kids focuses on a human-like society of forest animals like mice, hares, badgers, stoats, moles, otters, and weasels. All of the novels can stand alone, and they tend to be of a pretty hefty length. The series focuses on characters involved with Redwall Abbey, a peaceful place in Mossflower woods. Jacques' descriptions of food are to die for, and his epic plots are scattered with instances of humor and adventure. "Redwall" is one of the more sophisticated series on this list with a rich world and absorbing writing.

6. "Warriors"

These books are a must-read for any cat lover. Similar to "Redwall," "Warriors" by Erin Hunter focus on a civilization of forest animals—but all of the characters are cats. Starting out as a "kittypet," Rusty has always dreamed of leaving his home for the forest to live with the feral cats that dwell there. When he encounters tough warrior cats in the forest, he is plunged into a world of battles and intrigue, magic and nature. There are several other series of "Warriors" that come after the first, each one containing six books, but the first one will always stand out as the best and most nostalgic.

7. "Little Women"

Believe it or not, Louisa May Alcott's classic, "Little Women," is also a series. It is followed by two books, "Little Men," and "Jo's Boys." All three are definitely worth reading. "Little Women" is a classic story following the lives of the four March sisters, Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. The story is set around the time of the American Civil War, and is a great piece of literature, for any age.

8. "A Series of Unfortunate Events"

Lemony Snicket's 13 volume series puts the recently orphaned Baudelaires in the spotlight. Everything seems to be constantly going downhill for the three, especially after Count Olaf enters the scene. Count Olaf is as sinister as it gets, and is constantly chasing after the children throughout the series. Lemony Snicket's writing is snarky and brings life to an otherwise dark series.

9. "Kiesha'ra"

The "Kiesha'ra" series by Amelia Atwater-Rhode might not be the most well known young adult series, but it is not one that you should miss. The five novels center around several shapeshifting societies. The novels are filled with romance, political intrigue, and magic. Even if you missed this when you were younger, pick up these fantastic books.

10. "The Time Quintet"

Madeline L'Engle, an award winning author, wrote a fabulous science fiction series called "The Time Quintet." "A Wrinkle in Time" is her most famous book, winning her a Newbery Medal. Some people don't know, however, that her quality writing continues in four other books that center around the same characters as in the first. Time travel as well as space travel come into play, and also the mysteries of the microscopic world. Pick up this absorbing series and be whisked away to worlds you haven't dreamed of.

11. "The Song of the Lioness"

If you're hankering for a strong female lead that switches places with her twin brother in order for her to train to become a knight, you've come to the right place. Tamora Pierce created many series that are set in the fictional world of Tortall, but "The Song of the Lioness" is the quartet that stands out. Alanna is smart and strong, but also has realistic flaws. The plot is refreshing and includes characters of all races and classes. This series is a fantastic read in a classic fantasy setting.

12. "The Giver" Quartet

The first book in this series, "The Giver" was recently turned into a movie, but the story doesn't stop there. These four novels are loosely connected, but all explore some aspect of society, and later in the series, the links between the books grow stronger. "The Giver" Quartet is truly quality dystopian YA fiction in an age where every other book on the shelf is about teenage rebellion in an oppressive world. Curl up with this award winning series and enjoy the commentaries that Lois Lowry lends to society.

13. "Harry Potter"

No YA or children's literature list would be complete without the wildly popular Harry Potter. Filled with adventure and life lessons about friendship and bravery, J.K. Rowling's magical series continues to delight readers even almost a decade after the final book in the series was released. "Harry Potter" is a perfect complement to the season, as well, magical enough to get everyone in the mood for pumpkin pasties, cauldron cakes, and Halloween.

Nostalgia is a feeling for fall, and now you have many avenues to choose from. Get your hot tea and sit down in a comfy chair, and prepare to experience adventure, romance, and magical worlds this autumn as you dive back into the scenes of your childhood.