13 Times The Bible Made Us Laugh

13 Times The Bible Made Us Laugh

A collaborative list written by two easily-amused twenty-something-year-olds

51
13 Times The Bible Made Us Laugh
Corbitt Residence

People claim that the Bible isn't all that fun to read. We beg to differ. The Bible is full of interesting people and eventful stories with downright hilarious moments.Below are a few of our favorite examples of those funny moments. Perhaps they will inspire you to go and read these stories for yourself and see just how interesting they are.

1. I Samuel 17:46 ESV
"This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you down and cut off your head. And I will give the dead bodies of the host of the Philistines this day to the birds of the air and to the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel."

This was David, a little shepherd boy, talking a literal giant named Goliath who had just insulted David by comparing him to a stick. This is David's grand response; he deserves an award for this one!

2. I Samuel 21:14-15 MSG
"When David realized that he had been recognized, he panicked, fearing the worst from Achish, king of Gath. So right there, while they were looking at him, he pretended to go crazy, pounding his head on the city gate and foaming at the mouth, spit dripping from his beard. Achish took one look at him and said to his servants, “Can’t you see he’s crazy? Why did you let him in here? Don’t you think I have enough crazy people to put up with as it is without adding another? Get him out of here!”"

Again: David was awesome.

3. I Kings 12:10-11 NLT
"The young men replied, “This is what you should tell those complainers who want a lighter burden: ‘My little finger is thicker than my father’s waist! Yes, my father laid heavy burdens on you, but I’m going to make them even heavier! My father beat you with whips, but I will beat you with scorpions!’”

Ouch. Maybe this is why King Rehoboam wasn't as popular as his dad, King Solomon.

4. Judges 16:16 NKJV
"And it came to pass, when she pestered him daily with her words and pressed him, so that his soul was vexed to death."

According to this verse from the story of Samson and Delilah, wesuppose it's safe to say that someone's soul can actually be annoyed to death.

5. Proverbs 11:22 AMP
"As a ring of gold in a swine’s snout,
So is a beautiful woman who is without discretion" [her lack of character mocks her beauty].

6. John 1:46 NLT
"Nazareth!" exclaimed Nathanael. "Can anything good come from Nazareth?" "Come and see for yourself," Philip replied."

Nazareth: the first century version of that one town with nothing except for maybe a gas station and a caution light.

7. Acts 2:15 NIV
"These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning!"

Peter's rule: It's never too early to be drunk on the Holy Spirit.

8. II Kings 9:20 NIV
"The lookout reported, "He has reached them, but he isn't coming back either. The driving is like that of Jehu son of Nimshi--he drives like a maniac."

9. Acts 23:3 NLT
"But Paul said to him, "God will slap you, you corrupt hypocrite! What kind of judge are you to break the law yourself by ordering me struck like that?"

10. Galatians 6:3 NLT
"If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important."

If mics were invented back in Paul's day, he would have dropped them all.

11. Proverbs 26:11 GW
"As a dog goes back to its vomit, [so] a fool repeats his stupidity."

12. Job 13:5 ISV

"I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise."

13. Jonah 4:9 MSG
"Then God said to Jonah, "What right do you have to get angry about this shade tree?"
Jonah said, "Plenty of right. It's made me angry enough to die!"

Jonah should have more Oscars than Leonardo DiCaprio. (We're not sorry.)