13 Things To Do In Fort Worth, TX This Summer

Because Texas summers are hot and you've run out of ideas.

398
Fine Art America

Fort Worth Texas is a great city. Despite the heat, it is full of cowboys, culture and plenty of fun things to do. But when you have all the time in the world and it's hot enough to cook an egg on the cement, it gets hard to find interesting things to do. So I am here to help you out. Here is a list of 13 things you can do in Fort Worth this summer.

1. Kayak on the Trinity River at Backwoods Paddle

One of my family's favorite things to do in the summer is go kayaking on the Trinity. You can get some exercise, see Fort Worth from a different point of view and even see the next thing on my list from your kayak.

2. See a movie under the stars at Coyote Drive-In

Located just off the Trinity River, Coyote Drive-In is my absolute favorite thing to do during the summer. They serve great food and you can see the Fort Worth skyline as well as your favorite new movie (and the stars of course).

3. Go dancing or see a live concert at Billy Bob's Texas

Known as the world's largest honky-tonk, Billy Bob's is SO much fun. It has its own bull riding arena and has plenty of concerts to go to every weekend, and they get better during the summer.

4. Eat lunch at Lee's Grilled Cheese

Everyone loves a good grilled cheese. It is my absolute favorite food. Lee's Grilled Cheese is a unique place that only sells grilled cheese, and they've gotten pretty good at it.

5. Go see the animals at the Fort Worth Zoo

You could pet a goat, see some elephants in their (not so) natural habitat or even make friends with a baby gorilla. The possibilities are endless.

6. Become a cowboy in the Fort Worth Stockyards

Every day at 11:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., there is a cattle drive through the center of the Stockyards. Every Friday and Saturday night at 8 p.m., there is the championship rodeo that includes Bull Riding, Bareback Riding, Tie Down Roping, Team Roping, and Barrel Racing. So there are always plenty of things to feed your inner cowboy at the Stockyards.

7. Drive through the safari at Fossil Rim

Even though its only a little bit outside of Fort Worth (about 50 miles), it is still a very fun Fort Worth activity that had to be included on this list. While still staying in Texas, you will feel like you are on the safari. You can drive your own car through the park or take a guided tour and hand feed the animals as they all try to stick their heads inside your car windows. My favorite part are the baby giraffes that come right to your window.

8. Shop at the Farmers Market at West 7th Street

This is pretty unique to find in the middle of such a big city. The Farmer's Market happens every Thursday from 4-7 p.m at 2913 Crockett Street, where you can enjoy fresh food, live music, handmade items and free parking.

9. Go for a bike ride on the Trinity Trails

The Trinity River has plenty of fun things going on (possibly the reason it is on this list three times). You can rent bikes from any of the B-cycle locations in Fort Worth or bring your own and ride on the 40 miles of trails around Fort Worth. You can also go horseback riding or rollerblading or run on the trails if bike riding isn't your thing.

10. Eat at Joe T. Garcias

Pretty much everyone who lives in or near Fort Worth has been to Joe T. Garcia's. They've been serving great Mexican food for 80 years and probably will for 80 more. If you haven't heard of it, well now you have. If you have been already, then go again.

11. Become more cultured at Bass Hall

Growing up, my school took us on yearly field trips to Bass Hall and I still love going there as a 20-year-old. You could go see the ballet, a number of musicals or a play. There are plenty of events for adults and kids and it is a great time to get dressed up every once in a while.

12. Drive an actual race car

I don't know about you, but anywhere I can legally drive over 100mph sounds like a fun place to me. At the Richard Petty Driving Experience you can drive or ride in a NASCAR race car on the Texas Motor Speedway at speeds up to 160mph. Ricky Bobby would be proud.

13. Cool off with some ice cream from Melt

Melt Ice Creams is a great place to cool off after doing all of these fun Fort Worth activities! But really, they have amazing ice cream and it is such a unique place, you have to go (even if you don't like ice cream).