13 Things Only Shy People will Understand

Growing up shy can be rough.

1465
#bashfuldwarf

Some people grow up extremely loud and extroverted. I, however, was not one of those people. I am an extremely shy person. I always have been and I do not see myself changing. There are certain things that only people who grew up shy will understand.

1.) The typical phrase that a shy person gets would definitely be, “Wow! You don’t talk much!”

2.) There is also that flash of terror when the teacher tells you that are presenting to the class and you actually just want to crawl under your desk.

3.) There is that awkward moment when you go someplace alone and you text your friends saying, “Please get here! I’m alone. I’m going to die!”

4.) When you get close with someone and you become loud, so they say to you, “Oh, you talk?” Then you think, “Oh, I guess I was too comfortable.”

5.) When you are walking around with your best friend and someone says to you, “You’re so quiet. You never talk.” Then your best friend just laughs, like "yeah, right!"

6.) Getting “needs improvement” on participation was a common occurrence throughout elementary school.

7.) When it came down to participating in class discussions in high school, you’d rather earn an "F" than say one sentence on how you feel about “Things Fall Apart.” I do not care if I have a thousand annotations; I have nothing to say!

8.) Usually when you go to a new club in college and the president says, “Okay! We are going to start with an icebreaker,” people are relieved that it is something so simple. On the other hand, as a shy person...

9.) A lot of people assume that you are really rude and stuck-up because you never say anything, but in reality, you just do not like to talk.

10.) People introduce themselves to you because they think they have not met you before, even though you’ve had lunch with them two times, had three classes with them, and follow each other on social media.

11.) There are times when the teacher will ask a question in class and you watch them get annoyed at every student getting it wrong, and even though you are screaming the correct answer in your head, if the teacher does call on you, the obvious response would be, “I don’t know.”

12.) Group projects are the bane of your existence. Can I please just work alone?

13.) You would almost rather fail than ask for help … almost.