13 Songs You Probably Didn't Know Were Covers

Time to get a musication.

6
Darian Wilson

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a huge fan of classic rock, 90's and 80's hits. So a few weeks ago, I was on my way home jamming out to my oldies station on Pandora. I heard a few songs that I thought were remakes, but after searching, I found out they were the originals. Who knew? Inspired from that event, I have put together a list of hit songs that were, in fact, covers.

13. "Hurt" - Johnny Cash

"Hurt" was performed by Mr. Cash in 2002, but was originally performed by Nine Inch Nails in 1994.

And not to bash NIN, but I personally like Johnny Cash's version better.

12. "Torn" - Natalie Imbruglia

"Torn" was performed by Natalie in 1997, only two years after the band Ednaswap recorded the original.

Both versions are very similar so it's hard to decide which one I like better. I mean, I grew up listening to Natalie's version, so it's just hard to say.

11. "Whatta Man" - Salt-N-Pepa

"Whatta Man" was performed by Salt-N-Pepa in 1994 but was originally performed by Linda Lyndell in 1968.

I like Linda's strong voice but that 90's vibe that Salt-N-Pepa deliver just makes me want to get up and dance. I'd have to say I like their cover better than the original.

10. "Dazed and Confused" - Led Zeppelin

"Dazed and Confused" was performed by Led Zeppelin in 1969, but was originally performed 1967 by Jack Holmes.

Hands down, Led Zeppelin's cover is my favorite.

9. "I Want Candy" - Bow Wow Wow

"I Want Candy" was performed by Bow Wow Wow in 1982, but was originally performed by The Strangeloves in 1965.

Not much difference between the two except Bow Wow's cover has more guitar in it.

8. "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals

"House of the Rising Sun" was performed by The Animals in 1964. Surprisingly, it's been covered time and again, but the origin of this folk song is unknown.

All this time I thought this was the original song. The only other cover I've heard is by Five Finger Death Punch, their version isn't bad but I do prefer The Animals version.

7. "1985" - Bowling For Soup

"1985" was performed by Bowling For Soup in 2004, but was originally performed by SR-71 in that same year.

BFS changed up some of the lyrics from the original, but the bands sound just alike. I like both versions.

6. "I Love Rock and Roll" - Joan Jett

"I Love Rock and Roll" was performed by Joan Jett in 1981, but the original version was done by The Arrows in 1975.

Both versions are great. The only difference is The Arrows have a male singer while Joan Jett is obviously female.

5. "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" - Cyndi Lauper

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" was performed by Cyndi Lauper in 1983, but was originally recorded by Robert Hazard in 1979.

I'm going to have to go with Cyndi's cover version on this one.

4. "Respect" - Aretha Franklin

"Respect" was performed by Aretha Franklin in 1967, but originally performed by Otis Redding in 1965.

Honestly, I'm digging the original by Redding. Franklin's cover is nothing short of amazing, but Redding just has some spunk that I like.

3. "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder

In 1972, Stevie Wonder recorded "Superstition", but the song was originally done by Jeff Beck.

Who can say no to Stevie Wonder? Definitely love his cover more than the original.

2. "If I Were A Boy" - Beyonce

Shocking, right? "If I Were A Boy", performed in 2008, by Beyonce was actually a cover. The original was recorded by BC Jean.

I do like BC Jean's version, but let's be real here, no one compares to Bey.

1. "I Will Always Love You" - Whitney Houston

The 1992 hit by Whitney Houston, "I Will Always Love You", was indeed a cover of the original done by Dolly Parton in 1974.

I'm honestly not a huge Dolly fan, so I'd have to say Whitney's cover is better. For those who are Dolly fans, they would probably enjoy her version more.