13 Signs You Were Raised By A Southern Mom

Y'all know it's true.
184

For those of us who have grown up in the south with a southern belle for a momma, there's just certain things about your raising that you don't even give a second thought about. What do you mean that no one else has Avon and Tupperware parties?! Here's a few signs that you were in fact, raised in a southern household.

1. You were taught at a young age that the higher the hair, the closer to Jesus. It's simple, people.

2. Saturday is for cleaning house and Sunday is for church.

3. If hearing, "I'll give you something to cry about" didn't put the fear of God himself in you, then honestly you are otherworldly.

4. The best advice comes in the form of kitschy sayings that are ~ totally~ normal i.e. "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig" or "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

5. Butter isn't just a carb. It's a way of life. Butter is everything.

6. Veggies aren't veggies unless they're fried.

7. Manners. Manners. Manners. Everyone older than you is "ma'am" or "sir". Thank you notes are not optional. By God, you will know how to set a table and which fork does what.

8. Momma taught you to always be prepared, so you can most likely save the world with the contents of your purse. Sewing kit? Check. Snacks? Check. First-aid kit? Check. The cure to a previously incurable disease? Probably check.

9. Family tradition comes in the form of recipes passed down on tattered and stained index cards handwritten by Great-Mamaw.

10. Ironing sucks, but having wrinkly clothes sucks more.

11. Monograms do not belong on everything. They are for home accents, a select few articles of clothing and jewelry and like, maybe your phone case. If you monogram your toilet, I am judging you.

12. You participated in either beauty pageants or a Debutante ball. It's like a weird rite of passage.

13. "Bless your heart" is a phrase near and dear to your heart.

No matter where life takes you, you'll always know that when you come home that little twang of accent will come out and that you'll always be a belle at heart. Thanks Mom, you did great.