13 Shows To Binge Watch This Halloween

13 Shows To Binge Watch This Halloween

While some people enjoy going trick or treating, going to parties and various Halloween events, staying home for Halloween can be just as fun.

31
13 Shows To Binge Watch This Halloween
Blogspot.com

While some people enjoy going trick or treating, going to parties and various Halloween events, staying home for Halloween can be just as fun. Put on some comfy clothes, grab some snacks, relax and enjoy! Here is 13 good shows to binge watch tonight.

1. The Twilight Zone

Twilight Zone is one of those shows that are one of the greats. Its enjoyable for people to watch many years after released and and is enjoyable for many age groups.

The original series was from 1959 to 1964. Despite the innocent seeming Sci-Fi stories, the twilight zone included some pretty controversial subjects for its tie that nobody else wanted to cover such as nuclear war, mass hysteria and McCarthyism. The monologue and closing by Rod Serling is a very memorable to the series and has been parodied on quite a few shows.

After Rod sold his share of the series' stock back to the network, a second series was made from 1985 to 1989. All narration in this one are voice over.

A third Twilight Zone Series was made from 2002 to 2003. it was canceled after only one season.

2. Tales From The Crypt

Tales From The Crypt (1989 to 1996) was a horror stories show with episodes based on a 1950s comic book series that has the same name or other horror horror comics. A puppet character of a corpse introduced each episode and and did the outro as well. All seven seasons can be found on DVD. M Night Shyamalan is working on a show reboot which should come out some time in 2017 for ten episodes.

3. Tales From The Darkside

This horror, Sci-Fi, fantasy story series was on TV for four seasons. Stories were commonly were based on horror comics, and stories written by famous authors. It was similar to Tales From The Crypt and The Twilight Zone so if you like them, you will probably like this series too. This show aired 1984 to 1988.

4. Are You Afraid Of The Dark

Originally a Canadian show, Are you afraid of the dark was shown on Nickelodeon for USA audiences. The original run was 1990 to 1996 and the show came back in 1999 to 2000. The show's main characters are a group of teens who call themselves the Midnight Society. Each week they meet to tell a scary story which we get to watch happen. The stories are commonly about the paranormal creatures coming into contact with normal kids, cursed objects, and alternate realms. A few episodes were on VHS and up to season five is available on DVD in USA.

5. I (Almost) Got Away With It

This Investigation discovery series just finished season eight in July. Its a documentary series about real crimes that have happened in which the person who committed them avoids being arrested for years. The crime story is reenacted like most of these crime stories but with this show, each episode has an in prison interview with the criminal. They talk about their adventures on the run, and how they almost got away with their crime. This Investigation discovery series just finished season eight in July.

6. The Addams Family

The Addams family are a wealthy very close family with alternative interests that other people find weird. Thanks to Gomez making a killing in the stock market back in 1929, he doesn't have to work anymore for his family's wealth and can stay home with his family as much as he wants. Gomez Addams is a man of Spanish decent who is madly in love with his wife Morticia. Other than spending lots of time with his family, Gomez enjoys yoga, acrobatics, and blowing up toy trains with dynamite. Mortica is his beautiful gothic wife. She enjoys art, gardening roses for their thorns and man eating plants, and spending time with family. Mortica also has a few magical powers such as lighting candles with her finger tips. Wednesday is Mortica and Gomez's six year old daughter. She is strange but very sweet. She enjoys cutting heads off of dolls, raising spiders, judo, and practicing ballet. Her older brother Pugsly is a very smart and kind boy. He likes making machines, playing with blaster streams and spending time with family. He has a very close bond with his sister and parents. Also living in the house is Grandma. She is a witch who makes all kinds of potions, spells and hexes. Grandma also practices art music and fortune telling. Uncle Fester is a unique and kind uncle who is way out there. He can light bulbs by putting them in his mouth, likes playing with dynamite and blasting caps, and relaxing on a bed of nails. Despite how unique he may seem, Thing has him beat. Thing is Gomez's close friend since childhood. It is also a detached hand that can move on its own. Thing can commonly be seen helping around the house by doing things like getting the mail, lighting cigars, pouring tea and picking up the phone. Lurch is the family's butler. Lurch is a character who rarely talks. Besides saying "you rang?", he normally responds in grunts or annoyed sounds. Hes also a skilled harpsichord players. The Addam's family ran 1964 to 1966.

7. The Munsters

Welcome to 1313 Mockingbird lane, a suburban town in the fictional city of Mockingbird Heights in California. At this location is a spooky old Victorian mansion. In this house lives the Munster Family. There is Herman Munster. He was made in a lab in Germany by Dr. Victor Frankenstein where he lived shortly before being adopted by an English family and given the last name Munster. Eventually he moved to Transylvania where he met Lilly Dracula. They married in 1865 and moved to America with Lilly's dad aka Grandpa. Although Herman looks a bit scary at over seven feet tall, bolts in neck and green skin, he doesn't mean anyone any harm. Hes kind, childlike at times, strong, clumsy and cares very much for his family. He works at a funeral home to provide for his family. Lilly is Herman's beautiful vampire like wife. She has skills in reading palms and is happiest at home with her family. Grandpa is a sarcastic, stubborn but wise man. He has skills in potions, magic spells, and science. He can normally be found in his cellar Laboratory inventing. Eddie is Herman and Lily's son. He is a 5th grader at Mockingbird Heights Elementary School. His favorite toy is Werewolf doll which he named Woof Woof. Also in the house lives Lily's niece Marilyn. She has been staying with them since she was pretty young and currently attends Westbury college in Mockingbird heights. She stands out from the others in the family as she is a beautiful blond. Despite this, she thinks that she is ugly. Her family scares away any guys she gets close to and she blames it on her looks. This sitcom ran from 1964 to 1966 and is well worth checking out if you have never seen it. You can own it on DVD.

A sequel came out in 1988 and ran until 1991. This was called The Munsters Today. Grandpa made a sleeping machine. He wanted to test in on his family but accidentally set the dial to forever. A man named Mr Preston had plans to buy the house and turn the area into a parking lot. While him and his assistant are exploring the house, the assistant gets stuck in a web in Grandpa's lab and knocks the dial off the machine. This wakes up the Munsters (different actors from the original). This sequel surprisingly lasted three seasons.

Five Munster movies also exist; Munster go home, The Mini Munsters, The Munsters Revenge, Here Come The Munsters, and The Munsters Scary Little Christmas. Munster go home is on VHS and DVD. The Munsters revenge is on DVD. Here come the Munsters is only on VHS for our region and is hard to find. And Scary little Christmas can be found on dvd.

8. Scooby Doo

Does this really need an explanation? Who doesn't know what Scooby Doo is?! Fine... I understand. I'll explain. We only make quality articles on The Odyssey after all.

The original Scooby Doo called "Scooby Doo Where Are You" ran from 1969 to 1970. Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and great dane Scooby doo travel around in a van solving mysteries. The van is called "the mystery machine" and they call their organization "Mystery inc". Fred is the determined leader. Daphne is a fashionable danger prone read headed woman. Velma is the brain. Shaggy is a coward who constantly has the munchies. Scooby is Shaggy's best friend and has some talking ability.

Next came "The New Scooby Doo Movies". Each episode was one hour long. They had a guest star in each episode who help Mystery Inc solve the mysteries. This lasted for two seasons like the original.

The Scooby Doo Show (1976 to 1978) was the first ABC ran Scooby Doo cartoon. The first two were CBS. It ran for three seasons.

In 1979, Scooby's nephew Scarppy was introduced in an attempt to boost ratings. Episodes from 1979 to 1980 aired under the name Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo. Fred, Daphne, and Velma were removed from the show in 1980 for "Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo shorts" which were three mini episodes per a show which features Scooby, Scrappy and Shaggy. This continued until 1982.

The New Scooby Doo and Scappy Doo show also known as The New Scooby Doo Mysteries brought back Daphne. She solved mysteries with Scooby, Shaggy, and Scappy as well as working as an uncover reporter for s teen magazine. In 1984 to 1985, Velma and Fred came back and had semi regular appearances.

After that came "The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo". In this show Daphne, Shaggy, Scooby, and Scappy along with new characters Flim-Flam and Vincent Van Ghoul travel the world to capture the 13 most terrifying ghosts on earth. There was 13 episodes made. Upon its ending in December of 1985, it took Two more years for a Scooby Doo show to be aired...

"A Pup Named Scooby Doo" came out in 1988 and lasted for three seasons. It has the original Scooby doo characters; Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby as Junior High aged students. In this series you learned more about the character's back grounds, and their hometown of Coolsville. It also had a cool cartoony like animation similar too looney toons.

After a bunch of movies and reruns, Scooby Doo finally had a new show come out in 2002 which was called "Whats New Scooby Doo" Its similar to the original but takes place in modern time with more modern technology. Also Shaggy is now a vegetarian.

In September of 2006, Shaggy inherits money and a mansion from his uncle Albert. Albert is an inventor who has had to go into hiding to keep an invention of his away from evil villains. These villains try many times to get the inventions from Shaggy and Scooby. Shaggy & Scooby Doo Get A Clue ran for two seasons.

Scooby Doo rebooted in 2010 with Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated. In this one they are high school age and solve mysteries. There is a bigger focus on romantic relationships between the main characters and interpersonal conflicts. Their home town is changed to Crystal Cove California and as a bigger main story, there is a huge mystery surrounding the town. New pieces of the mystery come to light with each new episode.

There is also Be cool Scooby Doo that came out October of last year (2015). I don't know enough about the show to talk about it.

If you would rather watch Scooby Doo movies, you have over forty to choose from.

While any of these would fit with the Halloween theme, in my opinion the original series, Whats new Scooby Doo and a Pup named Scooby Doo are the best three of the Scooby Doo tv shows.

9. Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Buffy Summers is the newest in a long line of vampire slayers who have been chosen by fate. In Sunnydale California, Buffy along with her friends Willow, Xander, and her watcher (teacher and trainer) Giles, among other characters through out the series, team up to defeat vampires demons and other dark forces using combat, magic, detective skills and occult knowledge. Buffy's mom, her sister Dawn who mysteriously appears in season five, Tara the witch, and vampires Angel & Spike are also popular characters who reoccur through out the show. With 7 seasons, over 100 episodes and three Emmy awards, it is worth a lengthy binge watch. Finding this addicting show won't be tough either! Its on DVD, Hulu and commonly reran on TV. Also if Angel becomes one of your favorite characters, I have good news for you; he has his own spin off show!

10. Dead like me

In Seattle Washington, an eighteen year old girl is hit by a falling toilet seat from a space station while on a lunch break. It kills Georgia and instead of moving on to the after life, she becomes a grim reaper. Georgia now is apart of External Influence Division and has to collect the souls of people who died in accidents and homicides. Each reaper has a number of souls they need to collect before they can move on. After moving on, their last soul collected would take their grim reaper job. After Georgia's death, her family falls apart. Her mother becomes depressed, her dad has an affair, and her sister starts to act out. "Life" is't easy for Georgia either. She has to balance doing her old job and her reaper job as well as adjusting to being dead. Luckily she doesn't have to do all this alone. Rube gives out the missions on who's soul's to collect and acts as a father like figure, Mason and Daisy become her friends and help George from time to time on assignments. There is also Roxy a tough character who won't take any shit from anyone but has a heart of gold. Sadly only two seasons and a direct to DVD movie were made due to problems on set.

11. Dark shadows

Dark Shadows was a gothic soap opera that was shown in 1966 to 1971. Creator Dan Curtis had a dream about a young and mysterious women on a train in 1965. The day after, he told his wife about his dream and and told ABC about his idea for a TV show which was how Dark Shadows came to be. The woman on the train in his dream became the character Victoria Winters who was an orphan that ended up in Collinsport Maine. Next came the Collins; Elizabeth Collins Stoddard who hasn't left the home in over a decade, her bother Rodger, her daughter Carolyn Stoddard and Roger's troubled son David collins. Victoria becomes governess of the house hold. Despite how popular Barnabas Collins is in the Johnny Depp Dark Shadows movie, that character's story didn't appear until episode 202. Another interesting thing about the soap opera's plot is there are flashback story lines (the years 1795, 1840, 1840, and1897) as well as stories that take place in the present day of when the soap was made and even stories that take place in the future (the year 1995). It was common practice to destroy old tapes for recycling back then or store them away never to be shown again, but luckily most of the episodes still exist. Syfy on very rare occasions shows reruns of the show. They are also available on VHS and DVD. There is also a few Episodes on Hulu and Hulu plus.

If you love what you see and fall for the characters, there was two movies made during the series, over 30 books, and a few audio dramas. Some of the audio dramas use original cast members from the show.

A second series was made in 1991 which was developed by original creator Dan Curtis. It only lasted for 12 episodes. The series starts with Barnabas accidentally being released. The series is on VHS and DVD. Syfy and Chiller show reruns on rare occasions. Its also available on Hulu. So finding it shouldn't be tough.

There is also the Tim Burton Johnny Depp Dark Shadows movie. Many fans will say the show is betters though. The feel of the show and the feel of the movie differ which is one of the main issue many fans have.

12. Halloween Wars

Food Network's Halloween Wars is a seasonal competition that has been taking place since 2011. Six teams of three people each compete in challenges to make the best over the top, most unbelievable Halloween treats. Two challenges are given an episode and there are weekly eliminations. The winning team gets $50,000. Past guest judges include horror icon Elvira, Writer R.L. Stine, actor Sid Haig, and Rob Zombie.

13. The Simpsons: Treehouse Of Horror

Ever since season two in 1990, The Simpsons have had a Halloween episode each year. Each Episode has three short tales that feature Simpson characters put in horror, sci-fi, fantasy, and supernatural situations. The episodes are commonly parodies of popular TV shows, movies, and books. This seasonal series is so popular that it has its own action figures, monopoly game, books and comic books made.

- Happy Halloween and Samhain to all who read this far. I hope you have a great day and night. Have fun and stay safe.