13 Reasons Why You Should Not Give Up On Life

You are loved. You are special. You are not alone. You are WORTH IT.

2661
imbd.com

Hello boys and girls. Heather Minor here, live and on the Odyssey.

I have watched the new series, 13 Reasons Why, on Netflix, like everyone else has. It really makes you think about everything you've ever done to anyone or everything you will ever do. At the beginning, Hannah Baker is a vibrant young girl, but then life got in the way. What people do really does affect the way people feel and it really does hurt sometimes. Think about what you say and do to people before it is too late. According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, there is an average of 121 suicides per day. Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States and each year there are 44,193 Americans that die by suicide. Now this is not the typical 13 Reasons Why Article. This is an article explaining why you should not end up like Hannah Baker. If you watched the show, you can see how devastating it is when suicide occurs and how much people really do care.

1. Death will not relieve the pain.

There is no coming back after you have done it. Killing yourself will not stop the pain, it will just pass it on to someone else. I know you hear this all of the time, but it is so true. Killing yourself will not be a relief to the suffering. If you want relief from your suffering, you have to be alive.

2. Imagine how your loved ones will feel.

You may be thinking "what loved ones? But trust me, you are loved way more than you can imagine. Think about the person who finds you dead. Think about how it will make them feel. Imagine what your parents will think. Is it their fault you did this? Even if you say it's not, they will still think so and think about how it is all their fault that they could not stop you. What about your best friend? They will be devastated, thinking about how they never noticed the signs and how it is their fault. It must have been something they said or did that made you do this. What about that person in your class who you never talked to but you always shared a smile with? That made that person's day. They felt all alone and then you smiled and made them feel a sense of joy. What about your dog, cat, etc.? Your pet is not going to understand why you do not come home. They will not understand why the person who they love most is not there. You are creating more tears than you have ever cried in your entire life. Your loved ones will have to live with this for the rest of their life, wondering what they could have done to stop you. What would you do if you mom, dad, sister, brother, ect. were so heartbroken that they killed themselves? Then not only are you responsible for your death, you are responsible for theirs as well.

3. You are loved.

I know you feel alone, but there are so many people who love you. Your parents, your teachers, your friends, your family, even people you have never talked to. They may not tell you everyday, but there is someone who loves you, I promise you.

4. It will get better.

What you are feeling right now will not last forever. Each day will get better. You may feel like there is nothing else you can do and there is no reason to live, but there is. Give it a week and see how much has already changed.

5. The Butterfly Effect

This states that one small change in a situation can drastically change the outcome of an event. Every time a butterfly flaps it's wings, it changes the atmosphere around it causing (or preventing) a major event somewhere else. Whether you believe it or not, your death will have a huge effect and will change things more than you realize it. Every life affects the entire universe. Everything is connected.

6. Stay strong.

I know it is easier said than done but do it for your loved ones and most importantly, do it for yourself. You'll thank yourself later.

7. What you are feeling is temporary but suicide is final.

Remember, even the darkest hour only has 60 minutes. You will get through this. You are strong. You will never know what would happen after you died. Something wonderful could be coming your way but you would never know.

8. You are NOT alone.

No matter how much you think you are alone, you're not. I know it feels that way, but it won't forever.

9. You do not want to miss what is going to happen next.

You will never get to see how everyone's lives play out. What if you find the cure for cancer? What if you get your dream job tomorrow? What if you meet the love of your life next week? What if what you've been waiting on your whole life happens a year from now? You'll just have to stay alive and find out. You'll never know if you don't. The world will be missing out if you are gone.

10. Give yourself credit at this very moment.

You have made it through. You are still alive. The suffering did not kill you so do not give up now. That part is over, and yes there will be more pain and suffering, but guess what. There will be way more good things that come as well.

11. Whomever is the source of your pain or depression will win.

If you are seeking revenge, there are better ways to hurt people. And no, I do not mean physically hurt or verbally hurt. Do you REALLY want to put someone else in the same position you are in? Do you REALLY want another person in this world to feel that death is the only way out? I did not think so. The best way to get revenge on the people who have hurt you is to not let them see it. Be happy, let them see you laugh. Let them think that what they did or said to you does not affect you, even if it is killing you inside.

12. God has a better plan for you.

You were put on this planet for a reason. You were CREATED for a reason. Do not give up. God did not create you for you to end your life too soon. He created you for something so much bigger. You may not think you have a purpose and there is no way that God would use you for anything but that is so not true. You are here for a reason.

13. Don’t give up because I’m personally asking you not to.

If you are looking for a sign or one last chance, this is it. Like Hannah needed one last sign from the guidance counselor, here is your sign to not give up on life. There are so many good things that will come your way. You are loved. You are special. You are not alone. You are WORTH IT.

If you or anyone you know is thinking about committing suicide, please go to the resources below.

• http://13reasonswhy.info/#usa
  • TEXT: 741741 http://www.crisistextline.org/
  • Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 (1-800-799-4TTY).
  • If you're gay, lesbian, bisexual, or trans* call 1-888-THE-GLNH (1-888-843-4564).
  • If you're a veteran call 800-273-TALK and press 1.
  • If you're a teenager call Covenant House Nine Line at 1-800-999-9999.
  • Send an anonymous e-mail to The Samaritans suicide prevention center.
  • National Hopeline Network: 1-800-SUICIDE